Decision to move to DR

micky33

Nov 23, 2006
Hey
I have been thinking a lot lately whether to spend about 6 months in the DR. Still deciding, i was wondering roughly how much it would cost to stay there for that period of time.
If you are willing to give me your opinion it would be gladly appreciated.

Micky

micky33

Nov 23, 2006
I have researched, but cant come up with a figure. I was thinking of staying in Puerto Plata. I got an estimate for an apartment (furnished) for about 6500 pesos/month. But for day to day living comfortably.

Thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Also are you moving there on your own or with your spouse?

Is froggies estimate for one person?

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
All depends on the lifestyle and level of comfort you desire. For just living expenses of one person, discounting initial settling costs, rent or purchase of the apartment/house and purchase of the car, you can get by with US$500/month with minimal comfort; for US1000/month you could live fairly comfortably. Both numbers apply if you speak basic Spanish, know how to bargain, network with people to find out where to buy things and services, and shop a lot for good prices.

Of cause this info is subjective and other members may provide higher or lower estimates, since everyone?s situation is different. What is "comfortable" for one person, could be "harsh" for someone else, and yet "luxury" for others.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You married a Dominican male who works/worked in a hotel/resort etc???
Obviously you did not read the now infamous (not necessarily perfect) HB's Three Golden Rules.
Honey, it will cost you $1200-$1500 a month to maintain you, your hubby and hubbies "friends and family" Do think this over, a lot....

the old curmudgeon,

HB

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Oh gee...are you going to be the sole provider? Oh NO. Please sit down and read read read DR1. If you want to live comfortable like an average person in the USA...then I do believe it will cost more than what some have quoted. The start up cost will be huge to reach comfort level. For an example...perhaps you will get lucky and find yourself a nice breezy little apartment to live in. But you will probably find yourself purchasing many fans. And in the summer when the heat is extreme you will be saying, "I just want one night in an A/C" So you will buy an A/C and install it. But to install it you will have to have the wiring redone. The bars on the window will have to be removed and then a cage built around the A/C. And all this cost money and then it still may be stolen from you. Now if you hit the A/C switch to often you may find yourself with a nice double wammy electric bill. Mine has been 6500 for the last two months. That is 200USD. Could I have avoided it...sure...but then I would of had to go without A/C during some hot days and well...Im spoiled on that one...and so I just let it go. I mean we are talking about equitable comfort to where you came from. Now the day will come when you wake up and go to take a shower and find there is no water. The electricity is out and when it is out the water pump does not pump water to your apartment. You wonder why no one else is complaining and then eventually you determine that no one else is complaining because complaining will get you nothing. You learn to live with it. You learn to fill trash cans with water. Now....should I go on. The point is that there are many many little things that make up our existence and putting it all together cost money...to reach comfort. So many things that you take for granted in the USA become a chore here. You are constantly busy trying to maintain comfort. My advice. Stay where you are until you are in a very good financial position.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
You're so right Russian.

All depends on the lifestyle and level of comfort you desire. For just living expenses of one person, discounting initial settling costs, rent or purchase of the apartment/house and purchase of the car, you can get by with US$500/month with minimal comfort; for US1000/month you could live fairly comfortably. Both numbers apply if you speak basic Spanish, know how to bargain, network with people to find out where to buy things and services, and shop a lot for good prices.

Of cause this info is subjective and other members may provide higher or lower estimates, since everyone?s situation is different. What is "comfortable" for one person, could be "harsh" for someone else, and yet "luxury" for others.

My mother and brother live in east SD. They manage with about 800US. per month. Of course, there's no mortgage or car payments as both are paid for.
The basic necessities are covered with little else left. But then, where in the US can you afford all this, including the maid's salary, utilities, gasoline, etc and still not have to prostitute yourself to get by? Hmmmm?

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
The OP question was about costs of living expenses, not startup.

I agree with Snuffy though - startup cost, needed here to reach comfort level taken for granted in more developed countries is very large. You have to plan spending for electrical backup, either inverter or generator or both, possible rewiring of the house if you want to have AC, water pump, backup water tank on the roof to store water for blackout periods, water heater, lots of security (bars, and metal doors), and list can go on. Don't expect your RD$6,500/month or even more expensive rented apartment to have all this, if any at all.

Simple living is not so simple, LOL

Last edited:

micky33

Nov 23, 2006
Thanks guys for the input.
I haved stay in the apertment before for a week. The apartment has cable but no A/C and when the electricity went off well i was in the dark for a few minutes sometimes afew hours. And only once did i not have running water. Which at that point i reliazed that here at home we take alot for granted.
I have thought about all those things but i still would like to try it ( but i will have the option to just by an air ticket and come home )
I just wanted to know more or less of how much it would be to live there for 3 months or so.

Mar 21, 2002
The DR is just as expensive as the USA if you want to live like you do in the USA. Now if you want to live like an ascetic then you can get by on 800 a month. But be warned you will be Living La Vida Sparta. As Chirimoya said in the closed thread Fidel, 70% of the DR population lives on less than 10,000 pesos a month.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
In the SW with no rent or car payments we get by nicely on $500.00 USD a month...We own our home and jeep...You can drink the water from the underground spring which is pressurized.. and clean....As far as other areas of the DR this figure would represent a very basic life if that.....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
to live ok in puerto plata, not included the start up a couple needs about 1000 dollars per month. that will cover the rent, bills, gasoline and food. all that, like russian said, if one of you is dominican, knows where to shop and how much to pay for things. also, 6.000 pesos a month will rent an apartment in nice neighbourhood.
alternatively you can live in a barrio, walk or take conchos, eat rice and beans and survive on 300 dollars a month or less.
it all depends an what life style you want, micky.
just keep in mind that in most of nice places you have to sign a rental agreement for a year, no less.
and furnished does not necessarily include fridge, washing machine and stove....

Mar 21, 2002
In the SW with no rent or car payments we get by nicely on $500.00 USD a month...We own our home and jeep...You can drink the water from the underground spring which is pressurized.. and clean....As far as other areas of the DR this figure would represent a very basic life if that.....

WOW, you can right the latest edition to The Simple Man's Guide to Living.