Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Decision to move to DR

Hey
    I have been thinking a lot lately whether to spend about 6 months in the DR. Still deciding, i was wondering roughly how much it would cost to stay there for that period of time.
    If you are willing to give me your opinion it would be gladly appreciated.

Micky

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Homework to do

Quote Originally Posted by micky33 View Post
    ...how much it would cost to stay there for that period of time.
    Unless more information is given your question cannot be answered.
    Do a search and you'll get a picture...

m'frog

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have researched, but cant come up with a figure. I was thinking of staying in Puerto Plata. I got an estimate for an apartment (furnished) for about 6500 pesos/month. But for day to day living comfortably.

Thanks

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Very Roughly

Quote Originally Posted by micky33 View Post
    ... But for day to day living comfortably.
    Of course that also depends...
    1,000 RD$ per day should take care of a medium class lifestyle (one person, rent not included).

m'frog

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Also are you moving there on your own or with your spouse?

Is froggies estimate for one person?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be moving there, to live with my husband.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a good thread to read http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/483...ht=Cost+living

If you do a search under living cost you'll find many more. Don't use less than 4 letter words.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

All depends on the lifestyle and level of comfort you desire. For just living expenses of one person, discounting initial settling costs, rent or purchase of the apartment/house and purchase of the car, you can get by with US$500/month with minimal comfort; for US1000/month you could live fairly comfortably. Both numbers apply if you speak basic Spanish, know how to bargain, network with people to find out where to buy things and services, and shop a lot for good prices.

Of cause this info is subjective and other members may provide higher or lower estimates, since everyone’s situation is different. What is "comfortable" for one person, could be "harsh" for someone else, and yet "luxury" for others.

Post Thanks / Like

You married a Dominican male who works/worked in a hotel/resort etc???
    Obviously you did not read the now infamous (not necessarily perfect) HB's Three Golden Rules.
    Honey, it will cost you $1200-$1500 a month to maintain you, your hubby and hubbies "friends and family" Do think this over, a lot....

the old curmudgeon,

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh gee...are you going to be the sole provider? Oh NO. Please sit down and read read read DR1. If you want to live comfortable like an average person in the USA...then I do believe it will cost more than what some have quoted. The start up cost will be huge to reach comfort level. For an example...perhaps you will get lucky and find yourself a nice breezy little apartment to live in. But you will probably find yourself purchasing many fans. And in the summer when the heat is extreme you will be saying, "I just want one night in an A/C" So you will buy an A/C and install it. But to install it you will have to have the wiring redone. The bars on the window will have to be removed and then a cage built around the A/C. And all this cost money and then it still may be stolen from you. Now if you hit the A/C switch to often you may find yourself with a nice double wammy electric bill. Mine has been 6500 for the last two months. That is 200USD. Could I have avoided it...sure...but then I would of had to go without A/C during some hot days and well...Im spoiled on that one...and so I just let it go. I mean we are talking about equitable comfort to where you came from. Now the day will come when you wake up and go to take a shower and find there is no water. The electricity is out and when it is out the water pump does not pump water to your apartment. You wonder why no one else is complaining and then eventually you determine that no one else is complaining because complaining will get you nothing. You learn to live with it. You learn to fill trash cans with water. Now....should I go on. The point is that there are many many little things that make up our existence and putting it all together cost money...to reach comfort. So many things that you take for granted in the USA become a chore here. You are constantly busy trying to maintain comfort. My advice. Stay where you are until you are in a very good financial position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast