Graduate HS in DR, College in the states

tbrock

Dec 2, 2006
We are moving to Santo Domingo and considering sending our 10th grade son to either Villas del Mar International School or The American School of Santo Domingo. Can anyone give me any info on either of these schools?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tbrock, in my other life, I was a superintendent of schools for 20+ years. If you had come to me and asked me what I think about the idea, I would have encouraged you to do it. The opportunity for your son to learn another language, live in a different cultural environment, etc., will be of value to him for the rest of his life.

If your son is serious about his college studies and applies himself, then he will do well in college. The fact that he spent 2 or 3 years living in the DR will make no difference in that respect.

My only question is whether your son is happy about the change. My experience is that once students get into high school that they are opposed to leaving their friends.

I hope your son is excited about making the move as he will have opportunities denied most students in the US.

tbrock

Dec 2, 2006
Ken,
Thank you for your words of encouragement. He has been homeschooled for the previous 7 years, so he is fine with a move. He adapts well to any enviroment he is in. He wants to go to the Univ. of GA. I just wasn't sure if he would have a hard time transferring credits for the states.

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
read the thread that was posted above,

Carol Morgan
Dominio Americano
St. Thomas
St. George

are a few solid names with grads doing well in US universities.

Villas del mar? only if he's a boyz in the hood.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Ken,
Thank you for your words of encouragement. He has been homeschooled for the previous 7 years, so he is fine with a move. He adapts well to any enviroment he is in. He wants to go to the Univ. of GA. I just wasn't sure if he would have a hard time transferring credits for the states.

You don't transfer credits from hs to college (except for maybe some AP scores) The main thing is to showcase his talents in a way that gains him admission to the college of his choice. I would suggest you contact an admissions counselor at Un. of GA and see what criteria they use when evaluating overseas transcripts.

The most important thing in my opinion would be that you try to get him into a school that has been accredited by a State side group (SACS for example) and that he really prepares for his PSAT and SAT tests since a solid score on these tests helps colleges in measuring his ability, esp. if he goes to a non-accredited school.

You should also keep in mind if you want him to participate in sports, fine arts or other extra curricular activities. If you do then the best all around schools on the island in my opinion are Carol Morgan in the capital or Lincoln school in La Romana. If that is not really important to you then St. George is a good option as well. The American School in Santo Domingo is accredited but I would only put my children there if I couldn't afford CMS.

There are negatives to CMS but it has the strongest and most well rounded curriculm and extra curricular program in the capital. (IMO)