Christmas Bonus & Tips

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
How do you tip or bonus the following help....

1. Maid
2. Garbage Collectors
3. Security Personnel

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Maid and Security Personal: double salary.
Garbage collectors: Bottle of Brugal and a couple of hundreds.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Juanita

My maid has worked for me for about 4 or 5 months. She does not work Saturday or Sunday. I pay her 4200RD a month. What should I bonus her for Christmas?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
When you say double salary...is that for the whole month, or just Xmas week..and when do you give it to them?

XMAS BONUS Call Regalia Pascual is 1/12 of 1 month's salary for each month worked (During the current year). ie. if she's been working for you for 6 months, 6/12 of 1 month = 2 weeks salary. 3 months = 1 week. Less than 3 months no legal obligation.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Juanita

My maid has worked for me for about 4 or 5 months. She does not work Saturday or Sunday. I pay her 4200RD a month. What should I bonus her for Christmas?
If 4 months, 4/12 of 4200RD = 1400RD. - 5 months 5/12 of 4200 = 1750RD

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
While you are handing out the Xmas bonus..........

Don't forget the local "Police" Its nice to know who they will side with if you might need them this Holiday Season............

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Usually a few days before Xmas so they can buy the extra food for the hollidays and presents for their family.
Actually the Labor Code specifies that the bonus must be paid by December 20 at the latest.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I have been told by several dominicans in the neighborhood that I don't have to pay anything to the maid, security, or garbage collectors. I believe the Labor Code applies to employees who are documented into a company or small biz. I'm gifting to them anyway because I appreciate their service. But I dont believe it is a requirement.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I have been told by several dominicans in the neighborhood that I don't have to pay anything to the maid, security, or garbage collectors. I believe the Labor Code applies to employees who are documented into a company or small biz. I'm gifting to them anyway because I appreciate their service. But I dont believe it is a requirement.
Not according to Fabio. http://www.dr1.com/forums/253023-post7.html

Art. 263: Domestics have the right to two weeks of paid vacation a year after their first year at work. They also have the right to a Christmas bonus

Domestics are only exempted from liquidation by the Code. Maybe that is where the confusion is.

The garbage collectors and security people are the responsibility of their employers.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
HOWMAR thank you. As you know not all laws are followed here and I don't know that this law is followed.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
HOWMAR thank you. As you know not all laws are followed here and I don't know that this law is followed.

Probably the only employers who circumvent the law concerning paying Christmas Regalia are those who stiff their "illegal" employees as they know they will be afraid to complain to the Labor Dept.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Who cares. You obviously are satisfied with your maid's services so pay her as per the calculation. As for the labour laws, I'm sure the maid won't give you any grief. I once had maid that got half her regalia a week or so before Xmas and I gave her the other half before New Years. Why, because if I gave it to her all at once, she "her kids" would spend it all and she would not have any money for New Years. As for the others, a few 100$'s each for goodwill and to make sure you garbage gets picked up on time etc. is a small investment. BTW, Thank You on their behalf and have a Merry Xmas. I'm outta here before this thread gets to complicated. LOL

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I have been told by several dominicans in the neighborhood that I don't have to pay anything to the maid, security, or garbage collectors.

One thing is certain, ask three Dominicans the same question, expect to receive six different answers.:paranoid:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm going to suggest splitting it between the two quincenas (fortnights) - mid Dec and beginning of Jan, or 50% on her last working day before the 24th and 50% just before the 31st, whatever suits best.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Let's all just give our staff and others the best Xmas we can regardless of legal requirements. After all, we all have more disposable income than they do. Xmas is for sharing.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Jesus Christ...we were just discussing. What is wrong with you people. Today everyone is angry. No one said we were not going to give something. Personally I always give more. But what is going on. Are we all so bored that we have to find something to condemn. I had a figure in my head for the maid and I wanted to make sure I didn't short change her. That is all. Now Merry Christmas To You Too.