Where?: Bachata/merengue & quiet

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
Hey there,

I've got maybe 8 days or so in the DR & I'm looking to dance a lot of bachata/merengue/reggaeton & avoid massive amts of tourists. I plan on spending at least a couple days in Santo Domingo, but I'd like the rest of my time to be quiet near a beach, but still with the requisite amount of dancing! I've heard mixed reviews of Las Terrenas being just the place (some say it's way too touristy now?). I'm also open to some time in a town not on the beach. But I live in the desert, so water definitely has to fit in here somewhere!!

Also, do most discos only operate on certain days (ie weekends)? Does this vary between Santo Domingo & other places (trying to plan which days to be where)

What else? That's pretty much it. I'm also a vegetarian (no seafood) woman traveling alone. Oh, and without a lot of money (when is that not the case, though?)

Thanks for all your help-

Last edited:

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
Perhaps I mis-spoke... I'm looking for a place that has a good nightlife, yet is more tranquil, slower paced than cities tend to be. Not necessarily actually 'quiet' during the day. And preferably isn't the biggest tourist place ever.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Compromise

I'm looking for a place that has a good nightlife, yet is more tranquil, slower paced than cities tend to be. Not necessarily actually 'quiet' during the day. And preferably isn't the biggest tourist place ever.

Still difficult.
Las Terrenas comes close.
Find accommodation at Punta Bonita Beach (quiet) and go into town (about 4 miles) for your dancing and nightlife.
Punta Popy or the Las Ballenas side is also good, nearer to the town centre.

m'frog