Icy mountains

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I while back someone posted some photographs in the area of Pico Duarte showing the plants coated in ice from the early morning dew. I would like to print a couple of them to show my fellow students in my spanish class. Does anyone know how I can track them down?

Sep 19, 2005
those pictures were from Robert.....I dont know if they are in the archives or not....I know they were in a thread....so they might be available still with a search......or you could PM him a request for them again.

bob

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I think this is the one:

constanza_ice_1.jpg

and it's in Constanza.

Gregg

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
I hope you are not using the picture to prove global warming or climate change affect on tropical islands.

Sep 19, 2005
I hope you are not using the picture to prove global warming or climate change affect on tropical islands.

Not the best pictutre to help prove a case for global warming....a carribean island in the grips of an ice storm.. ha ha ha

bob

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Not the best pictutre to help prove a case for global warming....a carribean island in the grips of an ice storm.. ha ha ha

bob

I know, but the word is that the term 'global warming' is a misnomer and that the right term should be climate change, because in a warming of the earth, temperature extremes can occur. so I have heard.

I just could see the drive-by media, presenting the headline to the American public as "Ice storm in the island paradise of Hispaniola, an island in the caribbean, with a mean temperature of 76 degrees, year-round" without going into detail about the high altitude effect of that mountainous island, and blaming the phenomenum to climate change or el ni?o, for that fact.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
After a great many years of visiting the D R, I decided to take a course in conversational spanish. Mostly I was looking for a way to say NO to "mi novio" when she asks for money. Turns out it can't be done. Anyway, to graduate, I need to give a five minute talk in spanish and the incredible diversity of the D R seemed a perfect subject. Thanks for the photo. I'll be in San Jose de Ocoa for Lady of Altagrcia Day.

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
By the way, recent geological evidence suggests that around 20,000 years ago, during the last glacial maximum (a particularly cold bit in an ice age), bits of the Cordillera central were covered in glaciers and permafrost. So there you go.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I know, but the word is that the term 'global warming' is a misnomer and that the right term should be climate change, because in a warming of the earth, temperature extremes can occur. so I have heard.

Actually that is not quite the case. "Climate change" is an attempt at spinning the concept so as to lessen the negative impact of the original term, "global warming," which is in fact more precise. The argument runs that global warming will contribute to various climatic changes, which could include colder temps in warm zones and warmer temps in cold zones -- but global warming is putatively the cause, therefore the term is not a misnomer.