Spear Fishing

ED.AB.CA

Dec 4, 2006
Hi all,
Coming to DR in a week, wondering if anyone has any info on rules and regulations on spear fishing or just fishing as a visitor to the DR.

--Raf

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Re your Spearfishing... Do you expect to be able to eat the fish you may spear around the reefs? Please get completely aware of the dangers of ciguatera. If you do a search you will find several posts I have made on this subject. Canadian Bob.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Re your Spearfishing... Do you expect to be able to eat the fish you may spear around the reefs? Please get completely aware of the dangers of ciguatera. If you do a search you will find several posts I have made on this subject. Canadian Bob.
And we are now in the months that Ciguatera and coral poisoning are common.

ED.AB.CA

Dec 4, 2006
Thanks Rocky. What's the chance of getting anything edible off shore with a snorkel in the Sosua/Caberete area?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky. What's the chance of getting anything edible off shore with a snorkel in the Sosua/Caberete area?
As good as you are a fisheman, but bear in mind, that there are a lot of cases amongst the locals, right now, of getting quite ill from eating those fish.

ED.AB.CA

Dec 4, 2006
I appreciate the good heads-up guys. I guess I?ll shoot pictures instead and eat at your place Rocky.
Thanks again guys.

--Raf

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
slim to nil

From my time underwater in Cabarete and Sosua I don't think that spearfishing is likely to be successful. The viability isn't great in winter and the reefs are fairly depleted. Fishermen in Puerto Plata go to the Turks and Caicos for spearfishing where its illegal. I have heard about awesome cave diving on the north coast, so perhaps you might check that out.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
I appreciate the good heads-up guys. I guess I?ll shoot pictures instead and eat at your place Rocky.
Thanks again guys.

--Raf
Thank's for listening to well meant advice...... Ciguatera is something nobody should suffer from! Canadian Bob.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thank's for listening to well meant advice...... Ciguatera is something nobody should suffer from! Canadian Bob.
Slipping off topic, for a moment, you words reflect how frequently people ask for advice on DR1, then don't heed it.
I too am pleased when someone like the OP is courteous, open minded and level headed.
Incidentally, thanks for the Ciguatera warnings.
I knew about coral poisoning, but not the Ciguatera.
It happened that half a dozen of the divers from Northern Coast dive center were here, along with the previous and the new owner, so I instantly had access to all the info about Ciguatera, after you mentioning it.
Have to commend you, Bob.
Ya done good.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
if people are being warned about Ciguatera, one shouldnt confine it to spearfishing, one should tell people not to eat any fish like grouper, mero, snapper, parrotfish, which are basically most fish offered by local restaurants except for the pelagic species like mahi mahi, wahoo, and tuna.

the risk of Ciguatera is there, no different if you're spearfishing or eating mero at the local restaurant. spearfishing does not increase that risk.

I have tried spearfishing around the cofresi area a few times and must say everything is fished out or never had any fish. a few lobster can be found if you look hard enough.