international drivers permits???

ash

May 7, 2006
hey guys...just wondering if i need a international drivers permit to drive legally in the domincan republic...or am i just able to use my valid drivers license from canada.. any info will be greatly appreciated
thanks ash

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hey guys...just wondering if i need a international drivers permit to drive legally in the domincan republic...or am i just able to use my valid drivers license from canada.. any info will be greatly appreciated
thanks ash
CDN license is fine, unless you move here, then you would need a local one.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Remember, it's only legally valid for as long as your tourist visa, which right now is 15 days.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
That is all true but I have been driving here for 4 years on my USA license and have never had a problem. Numerous times the cops have asked to see my license and only once did one appear to have a problem with it. Of course it has been six months or so and maybe they are now clamping down.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Snuffy, it's not about cops clamping down, the problem comes when you have an accident and if money is involved or someone hurt.

You can be stopped on red and if someone hits you and hurts themselves, you have a serious problem and could well be paying for years.
The horror stories are true, I have friends that have lived the nightmare.

Bottom line, if you're driving illegally, they will stick to the letter of the law if need be, especially if a gringo is involved. You are better off making a little effort to be 100% legal and not having any problems.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
I'm travelling in and out of the DR approx. 10 to 12 times a year. Since 2 years , when asking the immigration officers at Las Americas airport, I've been told that the validity of the tourist card and visa has been extended to 30 days.
Is this true or they just don't know it better?
Furthermore I've not been asked to pay any penalty for staying longer than 15 days any more, like during the previous governement.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We heard the other day it's still 15. Who knows, maybe it changed again ;)
Bottom line, you are better off becoming 100% legal rather than taking the risk.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Bottom line, you are better off becoming 100% legal rather than taking the risk.

Absolutely agree. What if they suddenly brought a law in that all foreigners who had broken the law (i.e. no Dominican driving licence) should be deported............? I hear it's been done elsewhere.........;)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Robert, thanks for setting me straight on that. Like I have said before if we end up staying I will get the residency and then the license. I understand you have to have the residency in order to get the license.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I know this subject has been written about previously so I won't labour the point BUT .......
My informants tell me that most Car Insurance companies do NOT cover policy holders who drive here on a foreign driving licence for more than 6 months. It might be a good idea to confirm this with YOUR Insurance company Snuffy, check that it is IN WRITING if they say they cover you & if you can't see it, don't believe it - get them to write a addendum to the opicy stating you ARE covered beyond the 6 month period of using your US driving licence. ~ Grahame.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If the tourist visa is officially only for 15 days, it's strange that you can stay up to 30 days without paying a "penalty". Short of obtaining your residency, then DR driver's license, how can you legally drive for more than 15 days?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Ash,

Just so that you know. An 'international drivers license' is nothing more than an extension to your regular drivers license. What makes an international license different is that it explains in the foreign language that you are visiting all that your present license says in your native language. If you should have one in your possession when stopped it would make the police better able to read what restrictions you may have as it will be in their language.

Upon investigation with the Division of Drivers Licenses here and AMET the DR does not issue an international license for anyone wishing to acquire same. A little strange in my opinion as it would make it so much easier for those Dominicans traveling to other countries.

Per the Ley 241, Transito de Vehiculos, page 57, T?tulo III, Cap?tulo I, Art. 20 - Personas exentas del requisito de licencia. says;

"a. Toda persona que est? debidamente autorizada para conducir un veh?culo
de motor en cualquier pa?s extranjero donde se exijan requisitos similares a
los establecidos por esta Ley para la concesi?n de licencias de conductor, y
que posea y lleve consigo una licencia autorizada y en vigor en dicho pa?s
extranjero, estar? autorizada para conducir tal tipo de veh?culos de motor en
la Rep?blica Dominicana, durante los primeros noventa (90) d?as desde su
arribo."

http://www.amet.gov.do/LEY241/LEY241.pdf

Of course whether an AMET official wishes to argue this with you is another mater.

Hope this helps.

Rick

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Not to flog a dead horse, but the facts are..... If your "foreign" (US/Canadian/British/International/whatever) is valid datewise, then you can drive legally in the DR for 90 days. On the 91st day your drivers licence becomes invalid, and SO DOES ANY THIRD PARTY LIABILITY AND/OR ANY OTHER VEHICLE INSURANCE you have paid for. This is extremely important to understand! So, if you plan on being in the DR longer than three months, your insurance company will NOT pay if you are involved in an accident..... The insurance company will not tell you this..... after all, you are paying them the premium...In addition, you have to pay a full year of "coverage" which becomes invalid after 90 days, unless you have a valid DR drivers licence or leave the DR for a day then return, which gives you another 90 days on your "foreign" licence. Getting a legally correct DR drivers licence is possible only when you have a "Cedula" or proof of Residence. It is a pain in the neck to go through the mumbo-jumbo of getting a legally correct licence which will show on their compouter. If you take a short-cut and obtain a "quick" DR licence, it will not be entered in the "system" and your insurance is worth zilch....This has been covered in the past, but it is vital that all this be understood. Canadian Bob.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Tell me this...if I drive to the Haitian border.....Dajabon....park my car in a secure parking area....go into Haiti....and leave the same day.....does my 90 pay period start anew? Robert....can this be done?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tell me this...if I drive to the Haitian border.....Dajabon....park my car in a secure parking area....go into Haiti....and leave the same day.....does my 90 pay period start anew? Robert....can this be done?
That is correct.
Any exit and re-enrty gives you a "new" 90 days.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have been told that your driving license is only valid for 15 days or the duration of your entry visa. Feel free to take the risk, but you and I both know, if the "doddy" hits the fan, they will pull this one out of their hat.

If you're given a 30 day visa to visit the USA and you overstay and have an accident, do you think the insurance will cover you? Why do you think it's any different here?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
That is correct.

This is true as long as you get your passport stamped for entry and also for departure and for good measure make a purchase, preferably with a credit card so that the receipt is dated and has a Haitian store address, giving proof that you were personally in Haiti for at least one full day. Thanks for bringing up such an excellent angle to this frustrating problem. Canadian Bob.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That is correct.

It gives you a new tourist visa valid for 15 days, not 90 days.
I have not heard that overseas driving licenses are valid for 90 days, I have always been told by officials here it's linked to the duration of your visa.
Technically you are illegal on day 16, so why would your license still be valid to drive, despite what AMET say. Print out the pdf and keep it in your glove box :)

Last edited: