ah the simple life...

Sep 19, 2005
well you know americans always look with distrust at those street vendors selling two day old meat and under less than ideal health conditions......but wonder ....hey everyone else eats it...

I mean i have seen some things that were out tooo long still for sale..anyway.

My gf is telling today that her dog got the runs....she says he must have eaten some fish soup that her father made.....poor dog she tells me...that was around lunch time...( thanks for the info honey, especially great timing)

well I talk to her later around 8 pm( mu dinner time thanks again honey)... and guess what her father and brother have it...as well -bad. She says they found out that they both ate( along with the dog) some stuff called MORCILLA.. that some guy on the street was selling....well come to find out some relatives down( sister and BIL, and their whole family) the road also stopped that guy and bought some...as well a a bunch of others near by.....sure enough they all got sick.....I was told that it is very desireable to find....

but the just about whole dammm area of town is now sick

luckiy my GF doesnt like it..

From her description it sounds like blood sausage

is that right?

does this happen that often.,... where it is bad enough to start making the locals get sick?

I can understand tourists getting the bug because their system isnt accutomed to that type of stuff

bob

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
wow that sucks!!! yes it is blood sausage. I used to eat it when i was a child and didn't know any better, or because they were made by our neighbor expert on cleaning the animal intestines and afterwards stuffing it with rice, seasonings and blood from the animal, usually a pig, yuk but I haven't eaten that stuff as an adult.

People should really stop eating stuff that people make out there, well except for the empanadas that are fried right there in front of you oh and the kipes (those wheat croquetes filled with meat, mmm delicious). I don't eat hot dog or chimichurris that are sold in those vendor trucks.

Last time I was there after meeting AZB for drinks my sister in law bought me a hot dog from a vendor down the street but I was too tipsy to eat anything, thank God for that, who knows what would have happened. People please don't eat from those vendor trucks, there are not following the sanitary regulations at all.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I think you miss out on some of the fun if you don't eat it. There is a guy down at the monument that sells Mariscos off a truck for 100RD. You get a mixture of seafoods...shrimp, crab meat, etc. He has been there for several years. Then we took a drive up in the mountains and my wife ask me to stop roadside. She comes back with these pieces of fried pork. They were awesome. And I always stop for a little chicharron if it is enclosed in some type container. I have gotten sick once or twice but you can get sick off of all types of food...here or in the USA. But I have friends who think I am crazy to eat it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Isn't there a great Mexican place in Puerto Plata!
I hear they make a nice Burrito and the side dishes are free.
The name slips my mind, I believe it start's with an "A"?

tambo'

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
2 thoughts

HACCP ( hygenic food processing) has one drawback. People don't get sick so they don't build a resistance and more and more children are suffering chronical deceases and are alergic to different things.

Dogs have a short digestive system and normally aren't affected by food poisening. Salmonella etc has only effects on an already severely weakened dog

Greetings

Johan

ps first thing after arriving in SD is getting some agua de coco and the second thing is getting some chicharon with a presidente

Sep 19, 2005
Doesnt suprise me... there is no customer satisfaction in a dominican joint.....period, done deal, case closed.....

I have been through it so many times with my GF...she just sinks in her seat...she hates me complaining out loud or to the staff.......It is is me that just has to learn...THATS the way it is....

rocky just has to learn to AQUIRE a taste for "different" ingredients.. ha ha ha

bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i follow locals. if they eat it, i may just have a go as well.
for papi's birthday we had a roasted pig, we went to pick it up from the guy, close to the entrance to cofresi. a place looked like a pigsty crossed with rubbish dump, with future roast roaming freely among heaps of basura, snacking on the leftover pieces of his dearly departed family members, pretty cannibalistic affair, pig roasting business....
anyways, even thou the place looks as unhygienic as it gets with those poor piglets roasting on a wooden pole, with legs tied by a piece of wire - the pig was excellent. maybe the heat from real wood fire kills anything that may give you trouble?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
a guy on the street was selling yuca (sp?) and the locals were putting ketchup on it. i ate some and was sick for 6 weeks. i think i had an alien growing in my stomach.

correction: if the locals eat it, AVOID IT !!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dude, you know what some girls would give to be sick for six weeks? one may lose, like, 10 kg! there's some money to be made on a parasite business!
;-)

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
dont forget to cross your fingers when you say that "maybe"

ha ha ha

bob
And also check for any surprises under the vendor's fingernails. There aren't bathrooms close to those roadside vendors ... you may find some nasty surprises under their nails :ermm:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Bob, in time you learn to control your anger. I still get upset but not near as much as in the past. Before I go into a joint I just say to myself, don't expect customer service to be splendid and don't embarass the wife. But sometimes I still do.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
About Aguaceros. Me and 4 friends ate there a couple of times about a month ago. Nobody got sick and my mixed Mexican plate was delicious. I will defenitly eat there again.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Just a small advise, any time that you eat anything from the street in DR make sure that you drink water with plenty of lemon juice in it. It could save you some troubles.

Mar 21, 2002
Well if you think you have parasites then take Zental. It will kill it fast.

What is Zental and where do you get it?

My gf is hard headed and I told her not to eat that garbage that the pushcart peddlers sell. She insisted and got so sick she almost died. And yes she is a True Dominican TM.

All of their wares are no better than a rotting dog festering with gnarly maggots in the summer heat. I stay away from them all unless I know them personally from my childhood. As a result I have never gotten sick.

Dominicans have some resistance but not enough for the rotting carcasses that masquerade as food. They get amoebas, gardiasis, parasites in all colors, flavors and styles, diarrhea which lasts months, and every subtropic illness.

Beware of quemalitos, dulce de leche, dulce de coco, cheese, all these street wares will make you sick.

Jeniqueques are OK if fried in front of your eyes but beware of the oil. Its usually old and will make you sick.