The name's Bond...James Bond

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
So at last the new Bond movie starring Daniel Craig is out (released about three weeks ago). The jury's out on this one although critics have acclaimed it's quite a good film. (I'm in the Roger Moore era myself!)

What I would like to know, being a newbie in this country is; how long is a major movie like this released in the DR and where can I see it? We live on the North Coast near Sosua, so the cinema in Playa Dorada is our closest one. Is it likely to be shown there? Are the films usually in their original format/language with Spanish subtitles? What are Dominican cinemas like?

I bet they don't charge five pounds for a coke and a popcorn though!

Cheers

Beeza

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
It is a safe bet that with some exceptions theater releases in the DR will coincide pretty closely with US DVD releases.

It all depends on who has the international distribution contract for that film and also what the local demand for it is expected to be.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Beeza,
For what it's worth here's a website with movies showing in the capital, Santiago, and a couple of other cities. I don't think Pto Plata area is included.

Uepa » Cine

Anyhow, it will give you an idea of what's in theater's now. You can decide how recent they are :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Your only option is Playa Dorada. In the capital we have many options, the best right now being the Malecon Center, although the other options are also excellent modern movie theaters. They Malecon Center has VIP seating (large leather recliners) with waiter service.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
So at last the new Bond movie starring Daniel Craig is out (released about three weeks ago). The jury's out on this one although critics have acclaimed it's quite a good film. (I'm in the Roger Moore era myself!)

What I would like to know, being a newbie in this country is; how long is a major movie like this released in the DR and where can I see it? We live on the North Coast near Sosua, so the cinema in Playa Dorada is our closest one. Is it likely to be shown there? Are the films usually in their original format/language with Spanish subtitles? What are Dominican cinemas like?

I bet they don't charge five pounds for a coke and a popcorn though!

Cheers

Beeza
Pitate DVD's have been out for more than a week. (200 pesos)I downloaded it a week ago. Good movie.