Architect Fee?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What is the normal % an architect charges to supervise a job?
I know it can vary, just trying to get some real world examples.

Thanks!

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I'm quite curious about that too.... and a list of Arch's in the POP and surrounding areas too

gougeonit

Feb 26, 2005
Other services

Could we expand this to include, surveyors and average construction cost per m/ft. thks gouge

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
I payed 4% for a high-end home in Tennessee in 1993. It included supervision. The architect and the builder were good friends. (My attorney was a good friend of all of us also.)

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
In NYC construction managers usually get about 8% of total construction costs to supervise/coordinate projects. Architects and engineers are usually involved in the construction process but not as hands on as the construction managers and they make more of the money in design (probably only 20% architects/engineers total fee is for construction administration).

Perhaps there are more design/build companies in DR who do the architectural design as well as build out the job. If this is the case I would keep a close eye on total costs.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Can we get DR examples please...

What does a DR based architect charge in % terms if they supervise a remodeling job that they have drawn up the plans for? I'm not talking about drawing plans, I'm talking about supervising the job so it's built to their plans and standard.

I have heard up to 20%, is this normal?

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Um, I have an architect working on remodeling an office right now and we haven't discussed this yet.

I am expecting him to do it for free since we are pretty good friends and he owes me money, but if I ask him about fees he will get it into his head that I am planning to pay him.

If the project is finished in the next couple days as planned I am sure the topic will come up in which case I will report the outcome.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

What does a DR based architect charge in % terms if they supervise a remodeling job that they have drawn up the plans for? I'm not talking about drawing plans, I'm talking about supervising the job so it's built to their plans and standard.

There was some discussion about this a while ago on the board. Possibly as much as a year ago. I've done some searches but cannot come up with anything so far and I cannot for the life of me remember the posters that were discussing the issue. I'll do a few more searches.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
20% is a rip-off !!!

Construction supervision fee in DR is 5% . You pay that to the architect or to the engineer , depends who supervise your construction. But 20% for this job is a rip-off . It is not normal at all !!!

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
Be careful with your architect !!!

Be careful with your architect !!! You do not have to build under a supervision of the architect. For this you need a good engineer. After your construction plans are stamped - get the original from the architect. And look for a trustful engineer . Do not pay supervision fees to both. After you have plans make your architect to sign that his job is done and paid in full !!! To get this kind of job is not easy for them ... takes time ... so they want to rip you off maximum they can. Be careful.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let me try and clarify this a bit more.

We have had an architect draw up some plans for an office remodeling.
He specializes in offices, custom high end stuff etc etc.

His work has a high quality level, very modern and an attention to detail in areas of lighting and storage I have never seen in this country and I have seen lots of office spaces. I have seen another office he designed and supervised the work for, I was impressed.

Obviously he has the contacts and people to work to this high level, so I'm a little hesitant to use someone else for the project supervision. But, that doesn't mean I can't negotiate with him :)

His fee for supervising the project is 20% of the total cost of construction, this is additional to the cost of the plans, perspectives etc.
Is this normal or are we paying a heavy premium for his expertise?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Let me try and clarify this a bit more.

We have had an architect draw up some plans for an office remodeling.
He specializes in offices, custom high end stuff etc etc.

His work has a high quality level, very modern and an attention to detail in areas of lighting and storage I have never seen in this country and I have seen lots of office spaces. I have seen another office he designed and supervised the work for, I was impressed.

Obviously he has the contacts and people to work to this high level, so I'm a little hesitant to use someone else for the project supervision. But, that doesn't mean I can't negotiate with him :)

His fee for supervising the project is 20% of the total cost of construction, this is additional to the cost of the plans, perspectives etc.
Is this normal or are we paying a heavy premium for his expertise?

Although it seems a little high to me in the big picture it might be worth it.
First off you have seen his work and he has proven to you that he can execute what he has created and put down on paper. What value is there to his plans and then be unable to execute the design? All that will lead to is you listening to another guy saying the architect was a mad man--this is impossible to construct.
Secondly, as you stated it still can be negociated. There is no such thing as a final price-especially in the position you are in. (Do a part barter with him saying that you will plug him on DR1 with world wide exposure if he pulls it off and lowers his price a bit.)
Third-the difference of 5-10 percentage points dosn 't come to an awful lot of dollars if in fact he takes away all the stress and BS to make this job happen and make you happy.
Yes, your money, but my style in dealing with things like this in my real estate business.
JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That's it.... I'm packing up my Autocad and am on my way !!!

This is not for the design or plans(autocad). This is a man to "supervise" construction ie: translation of plans to finished project. Would include sources of supply for materials needed,the installation of such, overseeing the quality of work done, adherence to a time line, aherence to building code (if a code exists) etc.
In essence he is working for you to insure that which is on paper gets done exactly as planned.
I think?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is not for the design or plans(autocad). This is a man to "supervise" construction ie: translation of plans to finished project. Would include sources of supply for materials needed,the installation of such, overseeing the quality of work done, adherence to a time line, aherence to building code (if a code exists) etc.
In essence he is working for you to insure that which is on paper gets done exactly as planned.
I think?

Yes, thats it.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think you should be able to negotiate quite a bit for that service from your architect (or his appointed contact). 6 years ago our architect was happy to charge us just over 3% for such an overseeing of the building project. I accept prices may have gone up over the years (but then so have building costs etc, so the % should be roughly the same!) so I would consider anything between 5% & 10% to be equitable.

As a side note for those having properties built, our finances were tight at the time when we commissioned the builder & we chose NOT to have the architect do the daily supervision, thinking we could handle it on our own - after all, we HAD been here a whole 7 years by this time!!

WRONG decision. The end result was more than acceptable but the effort in monitoring the building each day to make sure errors were kept to a minimum really wore on my nerves after a while. MUCH better that you let a reliable Dominican take the strain for you if you can afford it!

Happy negotiating Robert! ~ Grahame.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
I paid 10% of the material fees, regardless of who purchased the materials. Some of the heavy items the engineer purchased while the finishings, I did the rounds in Santiago / Santo Domingo. High end construction, granite, marble, oak etc.. Superb finish.