Canadian wondering about currency

W

Wendy

Hi we are going to Punta Cana in April and was wondering what currency to bring our travel agent tells us to bring Canadian travers cheques but if all if all the activities are in American funds should we not bring American travelers cheques? Maybe a fellow Canadian that has been to the DR could let me know what they did Thank You very much Wendy

H

Helen

Hola Wendy Just make sure that you have $10 US to pay for your departure tax at the airport when leaving. Cdn funds can be exchanged into DR pesos fairly easily. You will have to pay extra to get travellers cheques etc. Too much trouble in my mind. I travelled to the DR several times and only had Cdn money with me each time and it was fine.

L

Leanne

We were just in DR. Took cash, no travellers cheques, as Helen said they charge extra to cash them and its not worth it. We also took some US $, just because we were sure what to use, but Canadian is accepted everywhere.

C

Canadian Bob

Hi! By bringing cash, you stand a heightened risk of theft with no recourse to recover it. No money = No fun. Bring Travellers checks,Can. or US. The latter is definitely easier to change into pesos (better than 16 to 1).Be sure to keep the numbered list SEPARATE from the checks. Only change what you need for a couple of days. You can use your Mastercard to buy food in all but the most remote villages,You can also use your "Access" card ro get pesos from any of the hundreds of appropriately marked bank machines, PLEASE DON'T BRING CASH!! Also, get a xerox copy of your Passport front section and carry it for ID. Keep your original Passport in a safe place, They are worth $30,000Dollars on the black market! Canadian Bob.

A

aristoba

right on Bob, but only bring US $ travelers checks.. if tourist are worried about the extra charge for buying travelers checks , they should be worried about the exchange rate.. typicly us$ exchange is 16.00 and cad $ exchange is 10.50 that implies US versus Cad rate 1.5238 since you can buy us dollars at 1.47 or there abouts you save 5 cents the dollar . you save $ 5.00 per 100 dollars or 80 pesos.. that are 4 presidente... so always bring real dollars...

T

Tom

$30,000.00 USD for passport?

"They are worth $30,000Dollars on the black market! Canadian Bob. ""

Bob

Do you know where I can "lose" my passport and recive half that amount? :)

Tom

C

Canadian Bob

Tom, The $30,000 figure is based on whatI consider to be valid information from personal friends working in Canadian Immigration.Greed can get one anywhere, especially jail!! Canadian Bob.