On Christmas, Make A Poor Family Happy.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
You know, when I was a kid in the DR, I remember how happy we were on Christmas' time. Everything was perfect. We had everything we needed and more. You need to be a Dominican kid to know how GREAT and joyful Christmas in the Dominican Republic is.

One day, when I was about 9-10, I told my late father that I wanted to invite a friend from a barrio to join us. This kid was very, very poor. When we were eating, we saw him trying to put his food inside a brown bag. When dad asked him what was he doing, (I don't remember his exact words, but it was something like) "I want to take this to my house to give to my brothers, sister and parents because they have nothing to eat". EVERYBODY'S hearts were broken right then and there!. Let's just say that his whole family ate Christmas' dinner at their home.

So many moons have passed and there isn't ONE Christmas that I don't think about that episode, and very often, I may add. And since I think about it all the time, I always do something about it.

Now, my questions to you guys is this:

Do you guys want your heart to feel GREEEEEAT?,
Do you guys want to feel like you have made an impact on a person's life?,
Do you wan to help a poor person celebrate Christmas?,
Do you want kids to go to bed hungry on Christmas' Day?, What, you don't?, then I have a solution for you:

Pick a poor family and give them their Christmas' dinner.

It could be a poor family you know or a poor family a friend of yours knows.

It's not that expensive and the way your heart will be feeling will be "Priceless".

Let me tell you how NOT expensive it is:

I asked my friend Mayra to go to a Supermercado and make a list of things needed for a Christmas diner and she gave me the following information:

1- Chicken= 125 pesos each (I didn't write the price she gave me for pork)
2- Mixed nuts= 120 pesos
3- Candy bag= 90 pesos
4- Big Ponche= 140 pesos
5- Grapes= 60 pesos
6- Apples= 100 pesos
7- Rice (5 lbs)= 75 pesos
8- Gandules= 50 pesos
9- Spaghetti= 25 pesos
10- 2 liter Pepsi= 50 pesos

Total: 835 pesos, which is about 27 dollars. Can you imagine making a family so happy and only spending 27 dollars?. Jesus, just my lunch at Chef Allen's, yesterday, was 12 dollars. Amazing!!.

Forget who started this thread, PLEASE help a poor Dominican family celebrate Christmas the way it's supposed to be celebrated: with joy and happiness.

I am doing my part and so far, 17 poor families WILL have Christmas dinner on their tables. Can you guys look into your hearts and just help at least one. Even if you are helping someone you know, try helping someone you don't know also. Trust me, the feeling WILL last you a lifetime, plain PRICELESS!!.

Let a poor person in the DR celebrate Christmas the way it's supposed to be celebrated.

Btw: Even if you can't help with all of the above, try helping with some of it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What a boring thread. Ok miguel, can you send me dinner, I have no place to go on christmas, hell I don't even celebrate christmas.
AZB

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Proud of my Son

My son, who is 18, was in Cabarete with me in October. He became chummy with one of the security guards at our place. The security guard took him over to the barrio he lives in to meet his family. My son's eyes were opened and he was very surprised how these people live. Since we have been home he has collected from his friends at school a load of baby clothes, small toys, clothes for younger children, candy, cologne etc. He has also purchased colouring books and crayons. When we arrive back in Cabarete just before Christmas he plans to take all the items he is bringing down over to the barrio and give it out to the kids. I'm sure he will make a few children very happy...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
What a boring thread. Ok miguel, can you send me dinner, I have no place to go on christmas, hell I don't even celebrate christmas.
AZB

Aftab, you are cordially invited to my traditional Christmas day sancocho, prepared by my wife, Altagracia, on our four-handled antique pewter cauldron, large enough to feed all our neighbors from the village of La Cabullita, on the road to Las Lomas, Azua. All DR1 members up that way are also invited. Casabe and drinks included.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que baboso...

AZB
If you have nothing to add to this thread SHUT UP and go make my other thread "famous".

If you don't want to make a difference, that's your problem. At least let others make a difference, "smart alley".

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Good son.

My son, who is 18, was in Cabarete with me in October. He became chummy with one of the security guards at our place. The security guard took him over to the barrio he lives in to meet his family. My son's eyes were opened and he was very surprised how these people live. Since we have been home he has collected from his friends at school a load of baby clothes, small toys, clothes for younger children, candy, cologne etc. He has also purchased colouring books and crayons. When we arrive back in Cabarete just before Christmas he plans to take all the items he is bringing down over to the barrio and give it out to the kids. I'm sure he will make a few children very happy...
You are rasing/raised someone who is a good son and a good person.

I know how he feels "inside" after helping someone in need.

I bet his heart feels pretty good. Pretty good indeed.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
thanks for reminding me about giving in Christmas, my family and I will be doing a collection to send money to some of the families we know.

Also remember that traditionally gifts are given to children on the Day of Three Kings, January 6th. even though I'm sure things are shifting more and more to the american way of giving the gifts on Christmas Day (que te dejo el nino Jesus??, that's what everyone will ask, what did baby Jesus leave you???

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
AZB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:bunny: I love happy endings. AZB you forgot to end your story appropriately..... And they lived happily ever after.:cool:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
On a somewhat similar topic. Ive been invited to my housekeeper's house for christmas dinner. She has a HUGE family, many of whom Ive met...they are all great people. My question is, what is the standard protocol for attending someone's Christmas dinner? What do I bring? I think offering to pay for the food would be an insult, especially I will have already given her her christmas bonus and other gifts for Xmas...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
On a somewhat similar topic. Ive been invited to my housekeeper's house for christmas dinner. She has a HUGE family, many of whom Ive met...they are all great people. My question is, what is the standard protocol for attending someone's Christmas dinner? What do I bring? I think offering to pay for the food would be an insult, especially I will have already given her her christmas bonus and other gifts for Xmas...

is there a protocol??? but do not offer to pay for the dinner. You can definilty bring fruits - apples and grapes are traditional fruits during the Christmas season. Also you can bring wine and ponche de crema, you've probably seen it, in the bottles at the supermarkets.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I used to put a couple of similar baskets together for family members, a friend who isn't too well of and for our maid, until last year the latter admitted that she preferred cash...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks mirador, I will consider your offer. I bet azua is not so near by santiago. lets see whats coming ahead for me.
AZB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
My 2 motas....

Listen, if they like you, there's no "protocol" to be worried about.

I see nothing wrong in telling someone "gracias por la invitacion, yo traigo el lechon y ustedes el resto" (thanks for the invitation, I will bring the pig/pork and you guys the rest).

I am sure they will tell you that you don't need to bring anything other than yourself, your loved ones and an empty stomach, but the fact of the matter that they are not well-off and they do need the help. And for that reason, you should bring something.

You can just show up with some wines, candies, nuts, apples, grapes, ponches and/or anything. Trust me, it will NOT go to waste.

Personally, I think Christmas is all about giving. I really hate to receive gifts but I love giving them. I see it this way: I rather be gifted a card that I will keep than some cologne I will never use and eventually give or throw away.

Chiri:

I used to give those "Gift Baskets" from the Supermercado, but the thing I hate about them is that they don't have all needed for a Christmas' dinner. For the past few years, I have my friend Mayra make baskets for me and deliver them to the people I want to give them to.

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
How about gifts for the kids? They range from around 4 into their 20's...it would be a rather daunting task to find something for everyone, but is it expected?

Im assuming an armful of Presidente Gigantes will be welcomed...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Miguel - nice thread honey!

We do our part as much as possible. I love that you gave us the list of what to buy and thanks CHIRI for the link.

I dont' particularly like to add alcohol but rather add some other basic food items in quantity.

I too love to get something for the kids - they dont' require much - unlike North American kids. But I love the looks on their faces when they get something.

We are also donating to Rocky's New Years' eve event.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
How about gifts for the kids? They range from around 4 into their 20's...it would be a rather daunting task to find something for everyone, but is it expected?

Im assuming an armful of Presidente Gigantes will be welcomed...

wow it seems like a lot of children and you are not expected to bring gifts, but the children are easy to please, dolls for the young girls and car toys for the young boys, t shirts for the older boys??? and the older girls, I'm not sure.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I always put them together myself, and that's what the article is about.

Yes I do my own too but I think the article is really useful for people who may not have already experienced what the locals eat at Xmas. When I run out of baskets I've found that dropping off bags from supermarkets which I've filled with Christmas food goes down ok as well.

Again, for those who may not know..........don't be put off buying a pork joint for people just because you haven't noticed a stove with oven in their house. Many will use the local bakers' ovens to cook their food (i.e. breadshop). But if you're buying people pork & chickens way ahead of time, best check that there is a fridge they can use. There usually will be!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
AZB

AZB auditioning for the role of Ebenezar Scrooge in the DR1 production of a Christmas Carol?