Sosua Kids..legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Is the Sosua Kids Charity legitimate or a scam? I heard from a local businessman that $$$ collected was to go to a dental clinic for the kids in Sosua but NO $$$ has been used....is there any accountability? I am concerned as every trip down there I have donated...Have we all been scammed? At least we can see the donations go to work at Rocky's bubbly run.....w/ the toys for the kids!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Please do not confuse Sosua Kids
Sosua Kids
which is totally legitimate

with Dominican Kids
Dominican Kids
about which there have been questions. I have no direct knowledge as to the current status but this is addressed if you click on the "Updates" link on their website.

Gregg

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
As FireGuy says, Sosua Kids is a very legitimate and long-standing group of people who do good work. The contributions given to them, actually go to the children.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Before anyone gets to the slander stage, is there any legite reason to doubt the other charity.
Some people did not receive the items they bid on, in the charity auction, and not one single pesos, a whole year later, has gone to any Dominican kid, and there have been countless complaints that contributors feel that the administrator of the funds might not be "genuine", but other than that, all is well.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We withdrew our support for this project (Dominican Kids) back in March-April 2006. We transfered over all the money collected via the DR1 auction and made sure we made a documented clean break.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Where did the money go Rob?? Some people might be wondering.......at the transferred over ....to where?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As with the distinction between Sosua Kids & Dominican Kids, so must there be a distinction between Dominican Kids (the Sosua operation collecting on behalf of Ninos Dominicanos) & Ninos Dominicanos Foundation. The latter is run by Alberto Noesi & ALL money given to him has been well looked after this past 12 months or so - earning at 20% p.a.

I in NO WAY support the fact that this money has lain dormant for this past 12 months & have expressed my concern that the monies are not being used to get the Dominican kids some dental attention - as was the original intention BUT, ................ I probably understand the confusions which allowed this situation to arrise & I understand some of the frustrations/bad information Ninos Dominicanos has had to overcome. I do not intend to involve myself in a 'laying blame' scenario & would ask all who have concerns about Ninos Dominicanos Foundation to speak directly to the Foundation itself - Alberto Noesi or Lee Barnes.

So that everyone is aware of my position here, I have NO involvement with Ninos Dominicanos, I have not supported it or made donations to it as I am involved with another Foundation as has been well documented in other areas. HOWEVER, I have a fair bit of money invested with Alberto Noesi through his Finance House operation & hate to see the bad publicity he is being given because of errors of judgement made relating to other organisers. Bad publicity to Alberto could have an effect his business & as a result my investments. That is it, purely a business concern. Oh, & I also LIKE the guy!!

I sincerely hope this whole discontent with Dominican Kids can be sorted out quickly so that Alberto's name plus that of Ninos Dominicanos, can be exonerated from any finger pointing & blame. ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sosua Kids has a great reputation. There are some super people in Sosua involved plus people in the Isle of Man and elsewhere. Likewise Dream Project, Fundacion Patria, Integracion Juvenil all have terrific reputations. I'm bound to have left out heaps & for that I apologise to their founders. But the point is, there are so many good charities that you never need to concern yourself about giving to one over which there are question marks. Just choose the good ones.

FireGuy does heaps for many charities. Take his advice as to which charity to donate to & give where there are no question marks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The bottom line with ?Dominican Kids? is very simple. THEY TOOK THE MONEY AND KEPT IT.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i know that we all have comments on these charities but what i would like to know is if anyone PERSONALLY knows a kid who is not in school because of no money for uniforms. i am ready to donate some money for school uniforms. i made one delivery of school supplies to planner and i am ready to make more when i come on january.

so make a list, check it twice cuz Santa Kyle is donating to sosua !!!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Proactive

Unlike so many situations in the DR that ex-pats or citizens cannot cure, for one reason or another, be it political, economic or lack of knowledge this is not one of them. IF there is a problem here with this organization and their business dealings are not transparent then is imperative that we, members of DR1 become proactive in getting to the bottom of the rumors, innuendo, and of course the slander which is to follow.

So I suggest for the CHILDREN'S, sake since we were in a way part of it ,we get going on using our talents to set the matter straight.Each of us
should research and submit credible information as to what is going on and how thi s money is going to get to the Children.

I strongly suggest that all personal agendas be put aside. And all "yentas" those that THINK they know something hold there information close to the
set of their pants and not near their typing fingers.

That said,the floor is open for practical suggestions as to how one goes about finding out --are there guys out there in black hats stealing the kids candy (or not fixing their teeth as the case may be) or are we yelling "fire" in the movie house.

As a group we are very smart people-this should be a piece of cake!

JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Further to my posting a few minutes ago

By investigating I mean :
1) In the DR does a charity need to be registered with a gov. office?
2) Are the funds that are being held need to be part of a public record?
3)For what length of time can the funds be heldand not used?
4)The site says "that all money will be given to the cause without administrative fees" Has this been the case and how do we know that?
5)And on and on --just like a good book--good for the mind and even better for the kids.

john

Charities

FireGuy does heaps for many charities. Take his advice as to which charity to donate to & give where there are no question marks.

Fireguy does indeed work to help many charities in the DR, mainly through the Canadian registered not for profit Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation
(Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation) where he serves on the Board of Directors as Secretary Treasurer. If you look to our website you will see which Dominican Charities we support (http://www.beyondthebeach.ca/charities.htm).
We are looking at other agencies as well on the North as well as the East Coast to sponsor with donations of supplies and funds.

Our major fundraiser is coming to its culmination at the end of this month with the Beyond the Beach Vacation Give Away ( FrontPage Configuration Information)

You can help us help the kids by visiting the above site and finding out how to purchase a voucher for this great draw.

Hlywud
Director
Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
My turn...

Before anyone gets to the slander stage, is there any legite reason to doubt the other charity.
Let me tell you why I would NEVER, EVER, donate to that charity:

When words "went around" that what was promised was not done, I sent them, not 1, 2, or 3, but 6 emails, just asking them about their plans, and NOT one reply. Better yet:

Someone who knows most of the people running that charity gave the charity director my email address and told him I had questions about what was going on. NOT one word from him.

I mean, I am not looking for them to give me an explanation about all their moves. As I told them in on email: just keep us posted on what's happening with the project.

But, NOW, whenever I want to give or donate something, I donate it to "BEYOND THE BEACH CHILDREN'S FOUNDATION".

Hey, at least you get a "thank you" PM (and post) from them.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Barb's contact information is still listed as Britannia Pub.
Didn't she sell that quite a while ago?
Yup, about a year ago.

I think Liam and Paul (new owners of the Britannia) might be involved with Sosua Kids now but I'll let Sosua Kids know anyway as I'm not positive that they are.

For an easy to find contact for Sosua Kids, contact Colleen or Mark Miesner at Checkpoint Pub & Sandwich Grill - one of them is just about always there M - F from 10 a.m. - 5 or 6 p.m. Weekends and evenings is hit and miss to catch them at the pub. This is where I make my cash donations since Barb sold the Brit.

Gregg

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Let me tell you why I would NEVER, EVER, donate to that charity:

When words "went around" that what was promised was not done, I sent them, not 1, 2, or 3, but 6 emails, just asking them about their plans, and NOT one reply. Better yet:

Someone who knows most of the people running that charity gave the charity director my email address and told him I had questions about what was going on. NOT one word from him.

I mean, I am not looking for them to give me an explanation about all their moves. As I told them in on email: just keep us posted on what's happening with the project.

But, NOW, whenever I want to give or donate something, I donate it to "BEYOND THE BEACH CHILDREN'S FOUNDATION".

Hey, at least you get a "thank you" PM (and post) from them.

miguel

As a director of BTBCF thank you for your kind words.

I promised myself I would not get involved in this thread but after your post I feel I must.
I emailed Dominican Kids about a half hour ago and received a response about 10 minutes later,so I don't know who your emails were directed to but I have had no problem ever getting a response from them.

As someone who has both donated prizes and bid on them I can guarentee you that I have received my winning's and sent out the prize I donated to the winner(that part is directed to an earlier post and not yours miquel).

The latest info is,and you folks can choose to believe or disbelieve that is your right.

The Initial building that was to be the dental office did not meet the standards of the american dentist who will be practicing there,so a lot 2 doors down is earmarked for a new officce that will be built from scratch.
The money going from the auction is currently earning 2% interest per month.

Please note I am not affiliated with this charity but feel compelled to find out the truth from the source rather then believe the banter.
hifiman

Status
Not open for further replies.