surfing spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidKELLY

Dec 4, 2006
heading to cabarete in mid january I am an experienced moderate level surfer. are there any good spots in the area other than encuentro , it sounds like that place gets pretty crowded

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Not too busy. Took my teenage sons there the end of Feb. on a weekday. Might have been 3 others surfing on a very good sized beach. I defer to someone else about the weekends...

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Encuentro

Encuentro is the spot. It has lefts, rights and, beach break for
beginners. Early morning is best, in the Winter months. Glassy.
Normal day is 2-3 foot, washed out soup, but Winter swells with sets
are quite nice. Enjoy. Longs, shorts and funboards all
available for rent if you don't bring your own, at very reasonable prices,
like $20 US per day, max. No sand bottom, use booties.
Short-Johns not required, warm and nice. All year long.

jorge_f14

Dec 8, 2005
Surf Spots

Hey Kelly, encuentro its just the cool and popular place to surf... if you want to go for a+ waves in the north coast try hooking up with some of the locals... for arranging a trip to:

La Preciosa (Rio San Juan) 1:35 mins from Cabarete
El Canal (Sosua-Cabarete) 20 minutes from Cabarete
El Ma?anero (Cabarete) 20 minutes from downtown

All these beaches are top spots... and are not easy to find... when you get to cabarete go to SURFEA surf shop and ask for JARED... try planing out a trip to a few of these beaches...

cheers,

Jorge Fernandez

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I like to take photos (usually of motorbike racing). I've got some pretty good ones of kite-surfers (bloody hard getting good shots!) Windsurfers are difficult to look 'interesting' but I'm working on that. So 'surfers'? Are they close enough to the beach to be able to photograph? Can you see folk 'being interesting' close enough without paddling too far?

kiteguy.jpg

one of mine from earlier this year

Status
Not open for further replies.