Reliability of "24 hour Security" in DR

Oct 29, 2006
I'm a new member to this site (joined in October 2006).
I have some knowledge of DR having been there for a total of 9 trips (5 alone this year).
I'm very interested in buying a property in DR. However, due to my lack of real living experience in the island, I would like to hear from the experts, tips which could help me decide what's best for my needs and concerns.

For me, the top priority is safety, and accordingly, I would like to start a thread, with everyone else's help to address the following points:

Security and safety issues with:

Houses or villas outside/inside gated communities.
Apartments (condos) outside/inside gated communities.
How is security conducted? What does it consist of?
How secure is "24 hour security"?
Actual resident's experiences.
Are beach front properties safer?
Do you need window gates in your "24 hour security" residence?
Street level vs higher floors?

I am sure that, like myself, there will be many others who could use all the information provided in this thread.

Thank you for your participation
Rafael Rothschild

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Rafael! Down here, look after all your own security, whether in a gated community,house, condo,apt, whatever.... Secure ALL windows (no matter how small), both up & downstairs with bars INSIDE THE WINDOWS (they can't be jacked out, & won't rust.) On long patio doors put folding bars INSIDE, with heavy bolts up & down, & put steel plates over each padlock so they can only be opened with the key from underneath. Put steel gates outside each access door. Never leave any valuables or wallets in pants etc within 10 feet of any barred window as the thieves use a long stiff wire to "fish" stuff through the (slit) screen & bars. You won't hear them! Use motion sensor lights outside. Keep a couple of powerful air-horns inside where you sleep, also a cel phone plus security numbers. NEVER give your maid a key. I will be glad to help you with any more questions, PM me. Canadian Bob.

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
Rafael,

No matter where you live, you are likely to settle in populated area and unavoidably be exposed to many people whose monthly income is less then the cost of your "dinner for two" in a nice restaurant. This alone makes you a target, as many of these people have no any moral restrictions from "taking" your stuff - you are "rich" and thus a fair game.

Gated communities are safer in a way that random thieves are less likely to wonder by, but even there you can't position yourself as "easy target" - that carpenter whom you handsomely paid for fixing your cabinets, or nice delivery guy from nearby store, or even your own maid, can and will tip friends about how much good stuff are there in your place and how easy it is to get in.

So by all means use Canadian Bob's offer and talk to him and other old-timers about self-security and make your residence very difficult to get in. There is a good sticky in this forum about staying safe in DR, read it carefully. Most of all - do not trust anyone whom you do not know very-very well, many local thieves are artists of deception. Do not open metal bars on door to anyone you do not know, and I mean know WELL. You do NOT know your maid?s brother who came pick up the bag she forgot earlier!

I assume you will end up buying property in nice neighborhood, so talk to neighbors, get to know them, help them with little things while you can (like give your neighbor a ride if you see him/her walking on the street when you drive by) - people living next door to you are the first ones who can see something happening and help (or not).

There is a lot of controversy regarding carrying a weapon, if you do know how to handle a gun and willing to use it without hesitation then consider this option. I am not advocating pro or against it, this is personal decision for everyone, but certainly worth considering in DR.

Stay safe and enjoy DR - it is a great place to be!

Oct 29, 2006
thank you both Canadian Bob & Russian.

You both have posted, obviously, very realistic experiences, and, this is precisely the type if information I need to gather for the next year or so, before I make a decision which I may regreat later.
It sounds to me a bit like the "old west" without the bravado.
I don't know if I'm ready and/or willing to move to a country where I may need a weapon. I'm not against guns at all, but it's not my style, and that may go against me in that environment.
Even without the consideration of weapons, it feels very, very unconfortable, to be dealing on a daily basis with people around you ready to deceive and/or steel from you. On the other hand, being 61 years old, I don't think i can or want to change my habit of presenting myself the way I am, wealthy or not.
For sure, not what I wanted to hear, but it surely helps tremendously.
Thank you again
Rafael

luz

Sep 27, 2006
The DR is a great country. it's much safer than many countries worldwide and it's totally beautiful. Ok everything is not perfect like the black outs but things are getting better day by day. the DR is growing and will attract more and more foreigners in the future. Don't worry about this rafael, live your life, keep doing good things and more good things will get back to you. My aunt lives in Jerusalem and she's loving it ! it does not matter where you live . you can get security anywhere you want .

Oct 29, 2006
Luz
This is really what I need: "una de cal y otra de arena"
I tend to agree (and need to) with you more than with canadian bob and Russian; but I would be a fool if I disregard opinions coming from people with great wealth of information and experiences.
At the end, it all will be up to me to fail, tremble or have total success, without blaming anybody else. But I am not a total dreamer (I wish I could be)
I have concerns and insecurities like everybody else, but one thing I can say for sure: no matter what my decision is, I can only be grateful for this site and the people participating in it.
If I was living in Spain (where I come from) and wanted information about the United States, I can guarantee that I could not get as much, as detailed and profound information and analysis as this site provides about the Dominican Republic.
I'm also impressed about the commitment and loyalty of most of the members to help extrangers without a fee.
Regardless of my decision to live here or not, you guys have made a friend for life.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
make sure your property is fenced in and get some Rottweilers or Mastiffs, anything big really. I live in a gated community on the north coast and some neighbors of mine have been broken into...but not me..I got one big dog and 3street dogs which I adopted since they were pupies, they are small but great watch dogs via their good hearing and 'knowing' who belongs in the yard and who does not. If you will not live in the house full time i suggest to have a maid at least go there once a day so the house does not look deserted if you're away which could make it a big target. get tight with the neighbors and a local police man (preferably a general) who you can call if there is trouble because dialing 911 will get you nowhere. bars on windows or at least an alarm system hooked to the doors and if you got enough money, put sensors on the windows too.

Oct 29, 2006
Great suggestions Conchman... and, since I'm an animal lover, this could provide a very realistic answer.
As I live in New York, I have some connections in the DR's general consulate, who in turn have a cousin who's a military general in SD, whom I will meet in my next trip in February. However, I believe the dogs can provide better protection for any impromtu situation. The general could be useful for a less urgent and more complicated matter.
Do you agree with my assesstment?

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I don't live in DR but my experience from a number of visits, is I generally feel safer than in most large towns or cities in the UK.

Our first house was in a rough area of Lancaster, a small to medium size city in the north of England. In the two years that we lived there, ours was the only house that didn't have an actual or attempted break in.

We had a *BIG* German Shepherd dog, who wasn't friendly and wasn't introduced to anyone other than our friends. Once accepted 'into the pack' you were a friend for life, but 'introducing' took a while, with me present! One of my friends wouldn't come into the house if my wife was there alone with the dog, even though he was 'introduced'!

Give me a big, noisy, well trained dog over a gun any day!

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
Rafael, by no means my post was not intended to discourage you from coming and living here! DR is a beautiful country with great weather, and many good, hard-working, friendly, educated, and interesting people. I made good friends and met some incredible people here, some much wealthier then I am and some are very poor, but you can find good people on all social levels here, if you look in the right places.

The thought I was trying to convey is that while living here you need to use "defensive" common sense and take some precautions to not position yourself as easy target, regardless of where your residence is. By all means DR is not a scary place, many expatriates happily live here and not everyone living here is armed; I believe that with use of street smarts, common sense, and some investment in personal protection you can be as safe here as you are in US or any place else. Dogs are great guards and a lot of fun; certainly have them, especially if you will live in the house with yard for them to run around.

Your intention to become acquainted with your friend's cousin is a very good idea; high ranking officer in Santo Domingo will be well connected on all levels, good asset if you will need to resolve any serious conflict (try to not get into serious conflicts here in the first place). Certainly come here to visit and maybe stay for a few months, go around, talk to people, you will get a fill for what is going on.

Oct 29, 2006
Thank you Russian.

I did not interpreted your first posting as scary, but rather as realistic, and I much prefer to hear a little bit of worse case scenario (which could happen in any country). For the little I know of DR, I myself have experienced the wonderful people in that country, regardless of economic status.
In any case, I am sure that if we decide to move to DR, we would rent for a few months, before making a final purchase commitment. To big of a step to rush into.
Fortunately, I have never run into any serious conflict in my entire life, and frankly, at 61, I don't intend to start now. But I'm glad to hear that a high ranking officer's friendship could help, shoud adversity arise.
Thanks again, great comments Russian.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We always work on the principle of 'damage control'. The house is never left unoccupied. I know occupied houses can and have been broken into, but the ladrones will choose the easiest target and generally speaking an unoccupied house is easier than an occupied one, particularly in the area where we live. In 14 years we have, thus far, never had a break in. We have had 2 items stolen - one was a Dominican flag on the outside of our old house in the centre of town, which wasn't stolen so much as borrowed the night before the 1996 Presidential election. The borrowers simply forgot to return it. ;) And the other was the soft top off my old jeepeta parked out in the street in 1998. It was a rainy night and someone needed a top for their jeepeta. I made sure that the replacement I had made was in a colour no-one else had. That's it. In 14 years.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
In any case, I am sure that if we decide to move to DR, we would rent for a few months, before making a final purchase commitment.

I lived here for two years before buying. Be very deliberate; trickery abounds and the real estate market is not transparent.

Fortunately, I have never run into any serious conflict in my entire life, and frankly, at 61, I don't intend to start now.

Sometimes conflicts arise unexpectedly. The ability to concede minor points and show respect for someone you feel no respect for goes a long way here.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Hey Rafael! Down here, look after all your own security, whether in a gated community,house, condo,apt, whatever.... Secure ALL windows (no matter how small), both up & downstairs with bars INSIDE THE WINDOWS (they can't be jacked out, & won't rust.) On long patio doors put folding bars INSIDE, with heavy bolts up & down, & put steel plates over each padlock so they can only be opened with the key from underneath. Put steel gates outside each access door. Never leave any valuables or wallets in pants etc within 10 feet of any barred window as the thieves use a long stiff wire to "fish" stuff through the (slit) screen & bars. You won't hear them! Use motion sensor lights outside. Keep a couple of powerful air-horns inside where you sleep, also a cel phone plus security numbers. NEVER give your maid a key. I will be glad to help you with any more questions, PM me. Canadian Bob.

great answer!!!