Potted herbs and Bedding plants

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Anyone know where I could buy herbs or veggies that are ready to transplant into a garden??
Does such a thing exist in the DR??
At home each spring we make a trip to a nursery to by ready to plant parsley, basil, chives etc as well as petunia's etc. so I was wondering if you can do the same here.
Thanks in advance.....

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hey MomC! If you go to a local market, you will find a variety of herbs with roots still on! Just jam them in a hole, add lots of water every day & watch them sprout...I have raised mint & parsley that way. The local vivero will be able to help you too. Have a super winter! Canadian Bob.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks Canadian Bob.....however I haven't seen mint at the local market and parsley is sprouting as we speak.....Nada at the local nurseries but I'm hoping someone from SD will pipe up with some addresses for me as I don't know where the nurseries are in SD.
I've a friend asking for mint and I'd love to get a hold of some rosemary and thyme, cilantro, basil, sage, etc.
For some reason I can't get sage to sprout from seed here (sigh-yep me - the plant lady!) and I'd love some real oregano instead of the Dominican stuff (can't get it to sprout from seed either!).
So far I've got onions, chicory(2 types), swiss chard, rocket salad, endive(2 types), escarole, beets, tomatoes,lettuce,sweet peppers, green peppers, radishes, watercress, chicory (different variety),cucumbers, broad beans and fava beans growing (not bad for only being here 2 weeks) and I'm waiting for the thyme and parsley to appear (they take longer).
Are you here yet??

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
MommC, if you go to El Pola in Santo Domingo they have some potted herbs in the vegetable section, I can't remember the name of the company (check the label out) that supplies them but you can call them up, they also have a website. If I'm there today I'll look it up! I got strawberry plants from them (the small ones just like in Canada).

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Rosemary

... I'd love to get a hold of some rosemary...

Take as much as you please. :bunny:
Rosemary grows well from 'estacas', so no problem with seeds...
Anybody coming through here can get a few twigs.

m'frog

dscf0015no8.jpg

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
BTW....thanks for the info Juanita!
I did buy some watermint plants last time I was here at Jumbo in SPM but they don't have any right now.
Don't know if I'll get into SD before I leave for Christmas but I'll definitely check Multicentro when I get back (it is the one on avenida Churchill ?)
If you see/hear of any other places to check please let me know.
Thanks again!