Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down 2 young Quebec girls die in car accident

Here is what I read on LCN (sorry for those who don't speak French, I'll translate after)

"Deux Québécoises ont perdu la vie dans un accident de la route en République dominicaine.
    Julie Vézina, âgée de 20 ans d'Alma, et une amie dont l'identité n'a pas été confirmée, sont décédées lorsque la voiture dans laquelle elles prenaient place est entrée en collision avec un autre véhicule.

L'accident est survenu vers 3h dans la nuit de mercredi à jeudi sur la route reliant Puerto Plata et Sosua.

Quatre autres personnes ont été blessées, dont une est dans un état grave."

Basically says that too girls from Quebec died in a car accident in Sosua on Wednesday night around 3am and 4 other people injured. Did any of you heard about this accident and have any more details? Were they in a taxi publico?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Rip

Très triste histoire en effet.
    Je connais bien cette route (qui rencontre / 2 ways) et j'ai parfois eu moi-même des sueurs froides en l'empruntant.
    Pourtant, ils n'avaient pas déjà fait des rénovations comme le pavage etc..?

Mes plates condoléances aux familles éprouvées.

Holacanada de Québec

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In English:

Two Quebec women are among three Canadians who have died in car crashes in the Dominican Republic.

Twenty-year-old Julie Vezina and her friend Marie-Michelle Fradette, both of Alma, Que, died Thursday.

They were involved in a head-on crash along a road connecting Puerto Plata and Sosua near the city of Montellano.

Ms. Vezina had been working on various restoration projects in the Caribbean country for the past three months.

Ms. Fradette and another woman flew to the island to meet up with Ms. Vezina and a travelling companion.

A Foreign Affairs spokesman said a third Canadian also died in a separate accident, but couldn't provide any details.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I read this in El Nacional last night.
    El Nacional, la voz de todos

It says the other driver started to take off, leaving the wounded in his vehicle. It happened near Gran Parada (Montellano).

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is very sad. Yes, hit and run here is common.

I believe that most accidents here are caused when both vehicles contain aggressive drivers. If you concentrate on being a defensive driver, allowing other aggressive drivers to have their way when they are determined...then you are much safer. Just learn to not take offense to their selfish driving habits. Let them have their way. Your focus is on being safe.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default roads in DR and war stories ;)

Hmmm I used to take the taxi publicos to go from Sosua to Cabarete or POP, I'm not so sure it's very safe now! I myself thought I would die once... I was on a scooter and my traffic light was green by the big grocery store on the main drag. That crazy taxi cab never stopped at his red light, I seriously thought I would die but managed to avoid his vehicle. When I was in a guagua, I also saw another guagua hit a little boy that looked no older than 10 year-old. A man just carried him away in his arms.

Final point is: Roads in DR are dangerous for foreigners who are not used to this type of driving!!!!

Be safe all!

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fatal Accident

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    This is very sad. Yes, hit and run here is common.
    True.
    And sometimes advisable, too.

In the reported accident we do not know whose fault it was nor who the driver of the vehicle with the Canadians was.
    BTW, the accident is said to have happened at 3 a.m.

m'frog

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purefolie View Post

Final point is: Roads in DR are dangerous for foreigners who are not used to this type of driving!!!!

Be safe all!
    Roads in DR are dangerous for EVERYONE!!

The best advice is definitely to be as defensive as possible...and personally, avoid motoconchos, especially on highways! If you're in a publico or guagua..try to surround yourself with fat people...better than airbags!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

or just stay on a Caribe tours bus, they're big....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    or just stay on a Caribe tours bus, they're big....

..............but then you'll FREEZE to death!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast