2 young Quebec girls die in car accident

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
Here is what I read on LCN (sorry for those who don't speak French, I'll translate after)

"Deux Qu?b?coises ont perdu la vie dans un accident de la route en R?publique dominicaine.
Julie V?zina, ?g?e de 20 ans d'Alma, et une amie dont l'identit? n'a pas ?t? confirm?e, sont d?c?d?es lorsque la voiture dans laquelle elles prenaient place est entr?e en collision avec un autre v?hicule.

L'accident est survenu vers 3h dans la nuit de mercredi ? jeudi sur la route reliant Puerto Plata et Sosua.

Quatre autres personnes ont ?t? bless?es, dont une est dans un ?tat grave."

Basically says that too girls from Quebec died in a car accident in Sosua on Wednesday night around 3am and 4 other people injured. Did any of you heard about this accident and have any more details? Were they in a taxi publico?

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
Rip

Tr?s triste histoire en effet.
Je connais bien cette route (qui rencontre / 2 ways) et j'ai parfois eu moi-m?me des sueurs froides en l'empruntant.
Pourtant, ils n'avaient pas d?j? fait des r?novations comme le pavage etc..?

Mes plates condol?ances aux familles ?prouv?es.

Holacanada de Qu?bec

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
In English:

Two Quebec women are among three Canadians who have died in car crashes in the Dominican Republic.

Twenty-year-old Julie Vezina and her friend Marie-Michelle Fradette, both of Alma, Que, died Thursday.

They were involved in a head-on crash along a road connecting Puerto Plata and Sosua near the city of Montellano.

Ms. Vezina had been working on various restoration projects in the Caribbean country for the past three months.

Ms. Fradette and another woman flew to the island to meet up with Ms. Vezina and a travelling companion.

A Foreign Affairs spokesman said a third Canadian also died in a separate accident, but couldn't provide any details.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
This is very sad. Yes, hit and run here is common.

I believe that most accidents here are caused when both vehicles contain aggressive drivers. If you concentrate on being a defensive driver, allowing other aggressive drivers to have their way when they are determined...then you are much safer. Just learn to not take offense to their selfish driving habits. Let them have their way. Your focus is on being safe.

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
roads in DR and war stories ;)

Hmmm I used to take the taxi publicos to go from Sosua to Cabarete or POP, I'm not so sure it's very safe now! I myself thought I would die once... I was on a scooter and my traffic light was green by the big grocery store on the main drag. That crazy taxi cab never stopped at his red light, I seriously thought I would die but managed to avoid his vehicle. When I was in a guagua, I also saw another guagua hit a little boy that looked no older than 10 year-old. A man just carried him away in his arms.

Final point is: Roads in DR are dangerous for foreigners who are not used to this type of driving!!!!

Be safe all!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Final point is: Roads in DR are dangerous for foreigners who are not used to this type of driving!!!!

Be safe all!

Roads in DR are dangerous for EVERYONE!!

The best advice is definitely to be as defensive as possible...and personally, avoid motoconchos, especially on highways! If you're in a publico or guagua..try to surround yourself with fat people...better than airbags!!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Gosh, this is so sad. A very terrible Christmas for the families of these girls.
May they rest in peace.

I sure hope that they weren't members of DR1.

Marlie

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Frogman...that is true....advisable to keep going til get to home and notify attorney who will contact police. You don't want an enraged family member to kill you on the spot. To bad it has to be like that.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
....advisable to keep going til get to home and notify attorney who will contact police. You don't want an enraged family member to kill you on the spot. To bad it has to be like that.
Especially if home is outside the DR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There's a report of this accident both in the print version and online version of El Faro, the local paper. I'm not going to put the link up because the pictures are horrific and I wouldn't want the parents clicking on that without being forewarned. And it's possible that they may not read English. Someone has written complaining on the El Faro website. But if anyone needs the link they can PM me.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
There's a report of this accident both in the print version and online version of El Faro, the local paper. I'm not going to put the link up because the pictures are horrific and I wouldn't want the parents clicking on that without being forewarned. And it's possible that they may not read English. Someone has written complaining on the El Faro website. But if anyone needs the link they can PM me.

Crude indeed. I believe that the press should be as free as possible but sometimes it needs to restrain itsef, and this is an example of this. Family members will surely feel disgusted and insulted. RIP.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Disturbing Pics

I too just viewed those pics. Quite disturbing. Newspapers here in Canada never seem get that graphic. I remember they did that with the murdered man "LLoyd" too. Such a terrible thing to have happened, the parents must be devistated.:(

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well done, El Faro

Horrific pictures have been removed from online version. Thank you El Faro. I can now post link here
.: Peri?dico El Faro • Edici?n Digital :.

To the 2 people who PM'ed me asking for link, I won't respond individually because the link is now here.

And don't anyone tell me Dominican organisations don't respond speedily to complaints. I think El Faro has been incredibly quick to respond, maybe they were reading this? Thanks again, El Faro, too late for the print version but at least they're only in black and white.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
If you hit someone here....drive to where you are staying....contact your attorney, your good friends, and the police. Don't run from your responsibility. This is a screwed up wicked world. Don't make more of the same. Do the right thing.