shipping stuff

francine

Nov 14, 2004
we are leaving the dr after many years and need to move about 20 boxes of books etc to toronto. any leads on shipping? we have 2 quotes now over 6000 US each. what the heck? we'll follow up on any ideas. HELP!!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Sounds expensive. Where are you located? Can you repurchase these items in Toronto? Let me know what you ultimately find on shipping.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Shipping

Of course, you realize the cost will depend on how you ship them. However, that being said, I have found the mail services of Banker Trust in Sosua to be the most competitive in terms of price. Over the years, I've used all the mail services available here on the North Coast and have cringed many times at what I've had to pay for shipping (and receiving). Interestingly, during the first Leonel administration the prices were not so bad because the national mail service functioned and pricing was more competitive. Now, with the gutting of that service by the pervious administration and no money in the treasury to build it back up again, we are stuck with relatively high prices for mail service from independent companies. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I needed to send a very large amount of documents to the US and found Banker Trust to be about 20% cheaper than the others for the same service. I used them. The documents arrived timely. I was satisfied.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
well, I hope you are not using a mail service. I would think you can find a door to door shipper that ships on a regular basis from Toronto to the Dr. For example, from New York to DR there are many such shippers and you ship a 55 gallon drum for about $150USD. So you try to find one in Toronto and I will bet they can handle shipping from DR to Toronto. Another option would be this....considering the price is $6000....you ship to New York using one of these services. You would go to the shipping location in DR with your boxes....you might consider transferring the contents to plastic drums which they may have available there. It gets shipped to New York. You then drive to New York and pick it up. I don't know how this would work at the border...but I am sure it could be arranged. 5 drums x $150 = $750 plus cost to drive to New York and back.