Punta Rucia Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

art27207

Mar 18, 2006
Any info on this area. (Punta Rucia) I am looking into renting a house on the beach there. How far from Puerto Plata. A good romantic spot or what??Thanks again!!!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
It is about, I would say 2 hours from POP. HB owns a beach home out there. It is an awesome beach. One of the best in the country. The road going to it may be a challenge. There are two or three ways to go. Last time I went we took the last road going in and it was a mess. There are small hotels there. There are two areas...the Dominican side and the Tourist side. On the Dom side is a nice place to go and eat Pescado if you are on a budget. Select your fish and they will fry it for you there and serve it with platano or batata. What else? There are islands off the coast there. Robert of DR1 has been to these islands. Yes, I would say it could be romantic but it is not a concrete jungle like Playa Dorado. So expect to get a little dirty. Expect some bugs. HB or Robert can get into more details with you.

art27207

Mar 18, 2006
Punta Rucia

Thanks I am looking at a house called Villa Playa it may be the same not sure..Thanks for the info.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do have a place up there. However, I am told that there are several people that have houses to rent...I think, if you have the time, that an exploratory trip might be in order. Why? Punta Rucia is way off the beaten track. No newspapers, no phones, no TV and little radio. SW will work...

The bugs are called Je jenes or 'malla" or "mee mes". On the English speaking isles they are called "no-see-ems" ...their bite can ruin a nice afternoon on the beach...You end up looking like you have chicken pox!!

Those are probably the only two drawbacks i can think of...

Can it be romantic.

In "my day" it was incredible....you could skinny dip in the evenings withyour significant other.......there was NOBODY around!!

Not quite that isolated now.....

HB

Yes, I know there are some out there in etherland ROTFLTAO at the visual of the HB skinny dipping!!!....so???

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
no-see-ems kill me. I didn't know there was that problem there. When I was there I was bit by a giant horse fly. Now if you could find a way to eradicate the noseeems.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Long sleeves and long pants after rain or in the morning before the sun comes up or evenings at dusk. A very good insect repellent, with Deet. At Punta Rucia, I use this stuff by the bucket full. It is a lovely place ... and romance is in the eye of the beholder. Hillbilly, if you did not already have someone wonderful to skinnydip with you, and if I did not have someone great to skinnydip with me, I would go skinnydipping in Punta Rucia with you any day! :laugh:

About 2 to 3 hours drive from Puerto Plata, depending on the state of the roads. With all the rain, well, 4-wheel drive will be best. Go to Playa Ensenada and eat at Elsa's Comedor! Remember, in the evenings there really is nothing to eat there at a reasonable price. So, buy extra at lunch to nibble on in the evenings, or make a barbecue.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Villa La Playa rocks ! I would say it is the nicest private home in Punta Rucia... I recomend it...

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
To make clear some points about Punta Rucia.

There are small hotels there.
No there is only one and not open everyday.
There is another one call ?el hotel? for 20 years because it was Discovery Bay Hotel.
This is not more an hotel , only used as a meeting point by a tour operator to go to Cayo Arena.
You may get a room, non official.

The Dominican side and the Tourist side.
There are not any side, or any spot for tourists or Dominican.

I am looking at a house called Villa Playa.
Just Google this name and this is the first one on the top of the list.

No newspaper, that is right
No phones: There is a public phone and several houses have phone.
You can get Tricom signal from some point, right in the village.
no TV . There is a cable with 5 channels.
little radio. Radios works fine
Internet by satellite works fine of course, this is why this message.

Long sleeves and long pants after rain or in the morning before the sun comes up or evenings at dusk. A very good insect repellent, with Deet.
You exaggerate this is not summer in North Canada you have less mosquitos than Montecristi.
Only few days of rain per year.
You have mosquitoes where you have garbage. The problem is there are a lot of garbage around the colmado where can have a beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.