Cable Monopoly

C

Chip00

I was just informed by our cable company, Star Cable, that they were going to be doubling their rates from $250 to $500 pesos a month - whereupon I told them to disconnect the service because I'm going with Aster. They happily informed me that that wouldn't be necessary because all of the cable companies in the area had gotten together and set a minimum rate! I guess MONOPOLIES and PRICE FIXING are alive and well in Quisqueya! They handed me a one page sheet in that oh so legal Spanish explaining that it will be better "SERVICE" for us in the end. What a pile of dung!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The cement/concrete companies did the same thing a couple of days after the May elections.

No anti-trust, no Taft-Hartley, etc. Welcome to the Third World.:)

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Welcome to globalization/consolidation

The cement/concrete companies did the same thing a couple of days after the May elections.

No anti-trust, no Taft-Hartley, etc. Welcome to the Third World.:)
Not only there .... also practiced right here in the 1st World. Cable providers have monopolies in their designated areas and set rates as approved by regulators that are nothing more than lap pooches for cable companies. :mad:

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
R$ 250 to 500? In SD both Telecable and Aster have been charing more then that for years now.. and I mean the most basic plan. In fact I think basic is over 700 now, additional sets of 6 premium movie/hbo channels cost 600 each.