Chlorine Pucks

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
I just thought I would save some people from the half hour I spent on the phone with American Airlines regarding shipping chlorine. Keep in mind, I only checked with AA because we are flying AA. You are NOT allowed to bring chlorine pucks or chlorine shock with you into the DR, even if it's with your checked luggage. Just in case you have a place with a pool and are trying to save a few $$ bringing it from Canada or the US;) .
Hope it helps.
Steve

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
Never priced chlorine in the States, is it that much cheaper that it would be worth while to bring with you?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Is it worth saving a few dollars to transport volatile chemicals on a plane endangering the lives of 200 other airplane passengers?

tamborista

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Is it worth saving a few dollars to transport volatile chemicals on a plane endangering the lives of 200 other airplane passengers?

tamborista

Chlorine pucks are no more volitile on a plane than in your shed, pool room, garage carrying them in the pail etc. It's a sanitizer, that's all. It's also my business here in Canada, so it's less expensive for me for sure.
Endangering the lives??? What a joke! Tamborista, how do you think the chlorine pucks that are bought in the Dr got there? By ship or by plane!
Big surprise huh?

Sheeeeeesh!:mad: :rolleyes:
Steve

Last edited:

gougeonit

Feb 26, 2005
chlorine bombs

tamborista

It(chlorine) has an explosive properties, when mixed with rubbing alcohol.

A

apostropheman

:ermm:i'm sure when transported commercially proper safety precautions are taken...unlike throwing it into your checked luggage to be mingled with God knows what.:paranoid:

why do YOU think it isn't allowed?:bunny:
Chlorine pucks are no more volitile on a plane than in your shed, pool room, garage carrying them in the pail etc. It's a sanitizer, that's all. It's also my business here in Canada, so it's less expensive for me for sure.
Endangering the lives??? What a joke! Tamborista, how do you think the chlorine pucks that are bought in the Dr got there? By ship or by plane!
Big surprise huh?

Steve
It(chlorine) has an explosive properties, when mixed with rubbing alcohol.
and with other substances as well.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Chlorine

Give me a break! Who's going to mix rubbing alcohol with the individually wrapped pucks in the checked luggage? There are many scenarios you could create with many different things that board a plane. Maybe there will be a dwarf in the checked luggage area with some muriatic acid, so he/she can make chlorine some gas too?!
They probably don't allow baking soda on either, beware the big bad baking soda! What about flammables? Gaurantee most checked luggage has something flammable with the person's toiletries, some might even have lighters near them.
You can send chlorine pucks to the DR but just not in the checked luggage so that's where I ended my search. Not enough saving compared to the hassle.
Again, sheeeeesh!:ermm:
Steve

gougeonit

Feb 26, 2005
common sense

Give me a break! Who's going to mix rubbing alcohol with the individually wrapped pucks in the checked luggage? There are many scenarios you could create with many different things that board a plane. Maybe there will be a dwarf in the checked luggage area with some muriatic acid, so he/she can make chlorine some gas too?!
They probably don't allow baking soda on either, beware the big bad baking soda! What about flammables? Gaurantee most checked luggage has something flammable with the person's toiletries, some might even have lighters near them.
You can send chlorine pucks to the DR but just not in the checked luggage so that's where I ended my search. Not enough saving compared to the hassle.
Again, sheeeeesh!:ermm:
Steve

Steve you have to remeber that your dealing with airlines here; The last big airline scare, a month or so ago; British airways wouldn't even let you bring a paperback book with you into the cabin!

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
who needs chlorine

Convert your pool to a salt pool. It does not need refill like chlorine does and you will never have smell and swim in that horrible chlorine again. It is also allowed on AA flights in case you dedice to spend $300 on a ticket to bring $10/100kg bags.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
salt

Convert your pool to a salt pool. It does not need refill like chlorine does and you will never have smell and swim in that horrible chlorine again. It is also allowed on AA flights in case you dedice to spend $300 on a ticket to bring $10/100kg bags.

Gamana
Too funny! Sorry to burst your bubble but you have been misinformed re your salt pool.:ermm: You ARE swimming in a chlorine pool when it's a salt pool!
It's the salt passing by the cell that generates it's own sodium hypochlorite (liquid chlorine). You just don't have to buy anymore pucks or shock because it's made for you.
Secondly, you again are misinformed as to the pool ever smelling again. Just because your pool is on a salt generator, doesn't stop chloramines from being present and smelled. If your FAC (free available chlorine) is too low, you can get the spent chlorines chloramine smell, which is a sign that you need to superchlorinate.
One last point that you didn't mention but many get this wrong too regarding salt, is that there are no more stinging eyes. Total bullshyte! If your ph is too low (acidic), bathers eyes will sting regardless whether its salt generator, chlorine or bromine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Who Was It That Said:..."Canadians Are Cheap"????

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

A

apostropheman

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
easy now big fella :)
emoticon_canadaFlag.gif

...i'm also Irish:cheeky:
arg-leprechaun-pot-o-gold.gif

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
easy now big fella :)
emoticon_canadaFlag.gif

...i'm also Irish:cheeky:
arg-leprechaun-pot-o-gold.gif

Lol!! Too funny, Dad's from Belfast!
There is a big difference between cheap & smart!
If I can save $US 60.00 and then give it to my new barrio buddy, well that's just a win win situation. Do I need too? No. If it makes cents, pun intended,
then absolutely! Being price savvy and not leaving a tip, or a small tip, are totally different.
Steve

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
chlorine and chlorine

Steve

The salt produces chorine on demand (CL from the NACL) through the machine. it is not the way commercial chlorine is produced, especially not in its dry version (tablets). it also balances the ratio constantly versus adding/shocking your pool with commercial chlorine every sunday creating highs and lows.

If you watch your PH level regularly, you will not get a chlorine smell and no eyes irritation. i have used it for 5 years and love it.

No more trips to the pool store to buy old smelly chlorine.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Big surprise huh?

Steve

Well it shows you don't know very much about chemistry and aviation then! Let me give you clue as to one of the most important ingredients to some quite lethal gasses such as:
Phosgene gas (WWII)
Mustard gas (WWI)
Chloroform.
You guessed it...Chlorine!

So now we have your bargain basement bucket of chlorine in the hold of an aircraft. What if the aircraft enountered some turbulence and the bucket spilled out some chlorine and someone elses suitcase also opened and spilled out that contained something made of copper, aluminium, alchohol? We get a chemical reaction that could cause several effects such as burning, accellerated corrosion to the aircraft's ALUMINIUM skin leading to an explosive decompression, production of lethal gas that is recirculated into the main cabin air supply, (90% of air in a pressurised aircraft is recycled). So if that's not endagering lives, what is???

A lot of frieght comes to this country by air, but I would be surprised to see an aircraft carrying several tonnes of pool chemicals. Not to say that it can't be done, you can ship DAC (dangerous air cargo), but you need a licence, and the procedures are usually very prohibitive.

I hope that answers your question!

Beeza

A

apostropheman

:laugh::bunny::bunny::bunny::laugh:
Well it shows you don't know very much about chemistry and aviation then! Let me give you clue as to one of the most important ingredients to some quite lethal gasses such as:
Phosgene gas (WWII)
Mustard gas (WWI)
Chloroform.

So now we have your bargain basement bucket of chlorine in the hold of an aircraft. What if the aircraft enountered some turbulence and the bucket spilled out some chlorine and someone elses suitcase also opened and spilled out that contained something made of copper, aluminium, alchohol? We get a chemical reaction that could cause several effects such as burning, accellerated corrosion to the aircraft's ALUMINIUM skin leading to an explosive decompression, production of lethal gas that is recirculated into the main cabin air supply, (90% of air in a pressurised aircraft is recycled). So if that's not endagering lives, what is???

A lot of frieght comes to this country by air, but I would be surprised to see an aircraft carrying several tonnes of pool chemicals. Not to say that it can't be done, you can ship DAC (dangerous air cargo), but you need a licence, and the procedures are usually very prohibitive.

Beeza
:laugh::bunny::bunny::bunny::laugh:

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Question?

Phosgene gas (WWII)
Mustard gas (WWI)
Chloroform.

Beeza

Beeza
I didn't have a question that needed answered, who claimed I did?
I made a statement that let others know, that it wasn't allowed.
BTW, if something went astray, with having 2 - 7kg pails of pucks on a plane, believe me, nobody would have to worry about it.:dead:
Steve

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
You should check your punctuation then!

I thought that the use of this punctuation mark: ???, implies that the sentence is a question, as in your sentence "Endangering the lives???

I think that you would be completely irresponsible for carrying that amount of chlorine on board a passenger aeroplane, and I wonder what your fellow passengers would think if they knew that aswell. I think you'd find that quite a few of them would "worry about it", considering the possible consequenses!

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Arrrrgh!

I thought that the use of this punctuation mark: ???, implies that the sentence is a question, as in your sentence "Endangering the lives???

I think that you would be completely irresponsible for carrying that amount of chlorine on board a passenger aeroplane, and I wonder what your fellow passengers would think if they knew that aswell. I think you'd find that quite a few of them would "worry about it", considering the possible consequenses!

Beeza
There was no question in the original post! :angry: You are ANNOYING!
You probably live your life in a bubble! I just struck you from our pool/bbq invitations! You are soooooo wrong if you think passengers knew there were a couple of pails of pucks tucked in the luggage and would be disturbed by it. Now, go away, shoooo, shoooo, go on!
Go back to your bubble, or that aswell person.:laugh:
Steve

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
Ok, I'll go back to my bubble.

Yes I'm sure I do sound annoying! People usually are when they're right, just like my wife. I had to sell my set of Encylopaedia Brittanica when I got married, cos she knows everything!

I don't wanna come to your pool party anyway, so there! Your pool's probably green and smelly cos you're too stingy to buy pool chemicals here!

Right then, that's told me! I'm off to crawl back into my bubble. So long as there's no chlorine in it, I'll be fine there!