Continental canceled daily 9am Flights (from EWR)NJ to POP and STI

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
I only found out by accident when checking my reservation that Continental NO LONGER is going to depart from Newark at 9 am and ONLY at 7:50 am.
This is for flights to both Puerto Plata and Santiago (our group goes to both cities)

This just stinks as I have 16 friends coming in with me on the 9th of Feb and 4 more flying from Rochester on the 10th.

Continental offered us to fly in one day early at 4:50pm - arrive 6:15 and they will pay for hotel, RT to and from airport with food vouchers for all of us that are on this flight. WHICH IS GOOD.
But I just HATE starting a vacation on the wrong foot.
Lugging luggage through Newark airport is NOT going to be fun and then to have to do it AGAIN in the morning. :angry:

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Carrier may without notice substitute alternate carriers or aircraft, and may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket in case of necessity. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Carrier assumes no responsibility for making connections

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
I understand that , but jeepers you think they would notify us that we were landing in Newark at 7:48 and they have our connection leaving for POP at 7:50. Not even enough time to get off the plane!! And with the cost of the airfare being high and booked months in advance - you think they would let us know.

At least Continental is putting us all up in a hotel with RT transfers and vouchers for food (although food is at airport ONLY) the luggage thing is the biggest pain especially since I am bringing an extra suitcase full of items for the schools, children etc.....

oh well.

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Me too

I have just had the same problem. I was supposed to fly from Toronto to Newark early am and connect with the 9am to POP. With the flight change the flight from Toronto doesn't arrive until after the POP flight has left....not much good to me.

Continental is flying me in the night before (and paying for the hotel etc) but the luggage issue is definately a pain in the behind.

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
oh no

is this a temp thing? cause i have my tickets and have had them for almost 6 months and i fly out at 9am from EWR TO POP ....and i have not been notified what do u do when u show up at 9 and there is no flight ? damn i should call huh ?

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Call Them

No Continental doesn't notify you. I purchased my tickets back in May and it wasn't until I went on-line with Expedia to verify my car rental that I received a messaging saying there had been a change and to call Expedia.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
PLEASE CALL THIS NUMBER :800-231-0856 and have your reservation number ready and tell them that your flight is a MISCONNECT. They SHOULD offer you to fly in one day early. We have had our tickets for 6 months or more as well.

is this a temp thing? cause i have my tickets and have had them for almost 6 months and i fly out at 9am from EWR TO POP ....and i have not been notified what do u do when u show up at 9 and there is no flight ? damn i should call huh ?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
This is a seasonal change. They seem to change the time right around the time we change our clocks for DST. I'm no sure why they can't build this into their reservation schedule. Depending on the time of year they also adjust the numbers of days they fly to POP. When are you flying?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
No Continental doesn't notify you.

Every time I book a flight with Continental I sign up for email flight notification. Several times my flight has been delayed and I received an email informing me of the change in departure time.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
No Continental doesn't notify you. I purchased my tickets back in May and it wasn't until I went on-line with Expedia to verify my car rental that I received a messaging saying there had been a change and to call Expedia.
If you make your reservation through Continental.com, they will notify you via email or text message of any change in flight information.

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
mine is fine

ok i just got off the phone to check my flight and all is good no changes and i am to fly out of NJ at 9am on 3/3/07 ..they said all is good so phewwww no changes so far anyway but i will know to keep checking tho
thanks for the heads up to keep an eye on it
tracy

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
ok i just got off the phone to check my flight and all is good no changes and i am to fly out of NJ at 9am on 3/3/07 ..

Another option would be to logon to Continental.com and plug in your dates for flight information. The information provided is real time.

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
Another option would be to logon to Continental.com and plug in your dates for flight information. The information provided is real time.
thanks so much
i will definatly try this ..probabaly weekly now justto be safe ..lol
tracy

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
If you make your reservation through Continental.com, they will notify you via email or text message of any change in flight information.

Yes, they may do that but WHEN? 20 of us made reservations months ago thru the website and NONE of us received any sort of email informing us of these changes. When would they have let us know if we didnt find out accidentally I wonder? I dont know if anyone signed up online for change of schedule notification tho.
Thankfully we are ALL able to get on a flight one day early. Just wasnt planning my first day of vacation being spent in Jersey.....
And the food vouchers are only to eat at the airport and who wants to lug all our luggage thru the airport and find a restaurant?? - so now some monies planned for our 9 days in DR will have to be used to eat, tip baggage handler, hotel porter etc......while overnight in Jersey

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Luggage Issue

I am in the same situation and double checked with the airline...you can only check your bags in 4 hours before the flight. So there really isn't any option. Since we fly in the night before we have to claim our bags and go through customs (for me anyway coming from Canada) and then go through security etc again in the morning.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes, they may do that but WHEN? 20 of us made reservations months ago thru the website and NONE of us received any sort of email informing us of these changes.

You must sign up for email and/or text message notification.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
And the food vouchers are only to eat at the airport and who wants to lug all our luggage thru the airport and find a restaurant?

The last food voucher I received was just enough to pay for a hot dog and a soda. Don't expect a seven course meal.