Broadband in La Romana Casa de Campo?

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
I have just moved to my summer home in Casa de campo i could not been any happier! Last Friday the people from Verizon came and installed a telephone line and the hook me up to DSL -Flash i have been using it all this weekend tomorrow i have to go back to P.R but this is terrible. They suposely the hook me up with their latest and fastest adsl-Flash they told me the download speed up to 1.5 mb and Download 500 kpbs upload!!! Well let me tell you! when they finish the instalation they started testing the dsl and i started telling them taht it look slower than 1.5 mb even so i told them i will like to run a speed test in front of them in which they accepted! the first test in front of them Download 329 kpbs Upload 178 kpbs!!! I said to the What! I am not paying for premium and not getting it!!!! They told me that is just in the begining that they will have to go to the casa de campo remote and revamp the card in order for me to get faster service. I told them that i was not going to let them leave or sign anything until i get the speed i ask for and paying for!!!! So one of the guys stay behind with its celphone calling the other guy that went to the remote! Suposely they change the card to a new one and they revamped the service!!! after that i did another speed test in front of him it was a little better 500 kpbs and upload 214 kpbs!! they told me that they will have to go to their main server in Verizon i do not know if there is one in la Romana o Santo domingo and they will program the 1.5 MB they promise and i am paying!!!! Saturday came it was the same!!!and i called and the person on the phone which was very rude told me that there was no labor on the servers on Saturdays!!!! i had to wait til monday!!!! I do not want to tell you what my speed is now!!!! Test 233 KPBS download 110 KPBS Up load!!!! during the day i went to eat lunch at the marina and i met a freind that has live full time in Casa de Campo!!! I Explained to her why is the Hotel you could get a download of almost 1 mb for regular dsl and i a cannot get the same service in my villa!!!! She told me that the owners of Casa de Campo Installed a Direcway Internet for all the hotel incluiding wifi in some areas and they that because they were tired of Verizon and they were getting complaints too slow from american businessman. She told me that what i am getting is pretty much the best!!!!!!!! O My GoD! I signed a contract with them i am calling tomorrow because the paper work does not explain the criteria i will probably disconect the Phone line too i could probably use vonage with a better conection. I need to know if there is something simpler than Direcway!!!!! which will cost me 2,000 dollars to install and buy satellite and almost 200 dollars a month now for a great speed of 6 MB download and 500 KPS which i get in P.R for $34.95 with my cable bill. I yet dont have cable service i have been renting movies!!!!! i was told that telecable has Broadband please inform me before i spend too much money in my business i need to be conected all the time and fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

LeoTra

Apr 28, 2006
Hi Kemo!

Not sure where you are with this but CdC will supposedly be finished installing DSL all over soon. When we needed our service we called CdC and they sent a CASA de CAMPO tech NOT VERIZON, but you have to be part of the Owners Club to take advantage of this service. There are certain areas like you said, the Marina and the hotel where its been installed for a while and its great. But Verizon sucks. You need to do all your telephone stuff directly with CdC. Its their job to keep us happy! And they always do a great job or at least do their best to fix whatever ails us! The CdC guy spent half the day trying to figure out how to configure our MACs until I came home and saw him still there, asked him why and explained that MAC doesn't need them to configure it! :) Poor guy! So we have our DSL connected also to an Airport so we have wireless throughout the villa and even outside on the beach. Our Airport signal is so strong that sometimes even our neighbors could pick up our network so we had to configure a private secured one. My suggestion is try the Owner's Club, they are wonderful and I am sure that they will find a great solution. And if they call Verizon its not the same as if we do it individually.

Good Luck!