Rio San Juan Hotel

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
A friend of mine is thinking about investing in a hotel located approx. 5 minutes outside Rio San Juan in the hills. He is flying down to spend some time and check out the area and has asked me to research a little. I was there a couple of month ago and stayed at Los Gringos, a wonderful spot by the way, but when I was there I didn't see a lot of touristas like I usually do in Cabarete or Puerto Plata and the other touristy areas. For those of you with knowledge of the particular area my questions are:

What is the market like in this area for hotel rooms?

Do you believe you could keep 10-15 rooms fairly booked? And if so with whom? French, German, Canadians or Americans? Possibly rent rooms by the week, months, etc..(I also know this depends on your contacts and marketing)

Does anyone on the board do any marketing for a hotel in the DR? By this I mean smaller places with 20 rooms or less, not Punta Cana areas.

Do you know of any develoment projects going on in the area? I heard a French group was building a large hospital and a hundred houses in the area and working to develop a community there, paving roads and such. Anyone heard of this?

Is it getting easier to get to this area since El Catay?

Thanks for any input,

Steve L

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Are you talking about the apart-hotel on the right just before Playa Caleton? It has a bar and a swimming pool.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
I don't believe

I don't think that's the one he's looking at. The one he's looking is just hotel rooms. I have a picture but don't have the exact location.

Steve L

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
He needs to 'niche' his rooms to a specific group. I went to a hotel in the hills in Rio San Juan a couple of years ago and the place was full. Way off the beaten track....the owners strategy? French nudists.
A couple of friends own 'gay-friendly' hotels in Sosua and seem to keep busy.