Read This DR1 News Item....

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
"Collapse and the DR"

No punches pulled here. This is the essence of the situation and it is a mess. This is the nasty side of the DR.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Here's the text of the DR1 article:

Collapse and the DR
Business consultant Federico Martinez expresses his concern for the lack of capacity for Dominican governments' lack of capacity of rectifying. He brings up the issue in Hoy newspaper's economic section, commenting on a recent talk by Jared Diamond, author of the best-selling "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" and stresses two points made in the book/talk: The role of people who take decisions (kings, politicians and the wealthy) and their isolation from the consequences of their decisions; and the fact that successful societies are those that re-evaluate their fundamental values."
Martinez criticizes the fact that the DR's wealthy have isolated themselves in their villas at Casa de Campo where they do not suffer blackouts, but live securely, in abundance and far from the sight of poverty and thus from the consequences that their decisions have had on the rest of the population." He points out that this group has ensured policies that benefit their interests, while corruption has created a business capital that has turned politicians into wealthy businessmen, and now it is difficult to control these. "In this scheme of things, the interest of businessmen who do not live off politicians is to avoid paying more taxes, while that of the politicians in government is to ensure the funds so that they can remain in power, and that of the politicians in the opposition is to seek the contrary," he explains. "The middle class and the poor are nothing but spectators (and victims) of this clash of interests.
He highlights the fact that from 1997 to 2002, the poorest 10% of the Dominican population saw a decline in their share of the Gross Domestic Product from 1.5% to 0.7%, according to ECLAC. In economic terms, that means that in 1997, 800,000 Dominicans had to live on 77 US cents a day, while in 2002, 900,000 had to survive on 46 US cents a day. He points out that in just five years, the poor suffered a decline of 41% in the real value of their income, while the 10% wealthiest segment saw a 37% increase.
He mentions that every month he hears of a young professional who quits and goes to live in Miami, because of the higher cost of living here, new violence and contradictions in Dominican society. He describes the country as "a country where to be corrupt and have stolen funds that were collected to combat poverty, is not a source of shame or a reason for going to jail; on the contrary, it is a prerequisite for being a candidate for something."
Martinez comments that the present trend will lead the DR to collapse, and urges the country to pause for a moment and take stock of our code of values. "If we continue to permit the increase of poverty and extreme wealth and we grant criminal impunity to those proven corrupt in the private and public sector, we will be digging our own grave as a nation. We have to pay fair taxes to an honest government that places priority on using those funds to create private and public jobs and on investing in the future through education and health," he writes, concluding that the country has taken the wrong road. He says we are witnesses to chaos in the stealing of a red light and the approval of RD$60 million to restore the presidential vacation home. "I fear that the disillusioned voters will just vote in another jerk to the presidency and we will wallow in another four years of demagoguery and fraud."
He ends with a plea on behalf of his children and grandchildren for a nation where they can live with dignity, and explains that this is why he wrote the article. "Sometimes I think that I would best fulfill my responsibility towards them by migrating; because I do not want to have to lower my head when one of them decides that one has to "seek the big buck at any cost" ("buscarsela como sea").
Tomando en cuenta

darmealgo

Sep 5, 2004
Mr. Martinez, is, of course, correct. He also deserves much praise for speaking out. The downward spiral of Dominican society will not stop until we have a better educated voter, who would, in turn, demand better representation. This would require vastly improved schools. And good luck with that. The very last thing the corrupt want is a smarter voter.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Excellent article !

I would also point out the drug factor : A couple of years ago, those wealthy people in power were paid in US$ to close their eyes on drug-trade. Fine, no problem. Today they are being paid in drugs, so they (police, politicians, military) have to ORGANIZE the drug trade here in DR in order to get there hands on the cash. The result is a massive rise of crack use in the barrios...

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
This is/was one of the best reads in a long time.
So well put and so well that it kinda 'scares ya'.

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
Its proof of the old adage, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". I agree, an educated voter is the key to fixing a corrupt society, but there is such a circular effect that is going on here that simply educating the voters isn't going to be enough. It seems like each problem will have to be tackled simultaneously for anything to take effect.

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Truth Hurts

I agree with the article and would take it one step beyond - as long as Dominican Society finds it OK to use and lie other Dominicans, tourists and expats without regard to the consequences of doing so as long as such actions will not hurt them or will in fact improve their own personal situation all of Dominican society will be damaged. Trust starts with keeping ones spoken word and grows from there. Too many people in the republic both Dominican and Non Dominican find it is OK to lie here and until this is corrected all is suspect here.

Sep 19, 2005
I thought the same thing when I read that article yesterday....but I didnt post about...because I really thought to myself.....who wants to hear a gringo tell them something like that......... ha ha ha ha

I am glad others picked up on it and concure, the guy has come out and told it like it is..

bob

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
well you have to start with the legal system, where the judges, police, lawyers, and government 'district attorneys' fix cases, allow cases to proceed despite obvious ommissions and/or falsifications. Financial embargos and provisional mortgages are given despite obvious proof of financial viability, just to allow attorneys put pressure on 'in return for favors or money.Criminals are allowed to get away and anybody with money can buy anyone, especially outside SD and Santiago where the problem is even worse.

It seems every other day we face another frivolous law suit, even lawyers suing us on behalf of clients who don't know anything about it, these 'clients' even give us written, signed and sworn confirmation that they are not suing us, but we have to go to court and defend ourselves, its ridiculous.

Recently we had one of our cars confiscated despite the case pending upper court, because someone paid of the 'sherrif.'

We even pay liquidation now in labor cases almost automatically because its not worth fighting anymore, even when you catch employees stealing, now we still get sued for 'pain and suffering' after paying liquidation.

There is no recourse against these lawyers, the local equivalent of a bar assocation is a joke, its like their little mafia club where they discuss how to fix cases and who gets which cut.

if you dont fix the legal system you will never fix corruption, and this country will never prosper unless you get corruption under control. Unfortunetly, this also means not being able to whip out your general's business card when you get pulled over. Its all part of the deal.

If it gets worse, I see end coming like the article says.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We even pay liquidation now in labor cases almost automatically because its not worth fighting anymore, even when you catch employees stealing, now we still get sued for 'pain and suffering' after paying liquidation.

Yes, sometimes it's easier to pay than deal with the BS!

You need to document everything and basically become a "bastard".
It takes time and money, but under the current archaic labor laws you have no choice.

The country has so many lawyers, that the only way some can make money is by becoming "scum" like the clients they represent, very sad.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Employing Is Difficult

Yes, sometimes it's easier to pay than deal with the BS!...
It takes time and money, but under the current archaic labor laws you have no choice.

Very true.
Thus it has become impossible for us to hire farm hands.
After three months you can see them go from normal to XXL slow.
The only solution now seems to go 'ajuste' and sometimes hire some daily paid workers.

m'frog

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
A very cogent and compelling essay by someone who knows what he is talking about. Ladies and gentlemen, history tells us that this is the stuff that violent revolution is made of. I believe that one day it will happen.