Did you know it's illegal to walk your dog of an evening in Cabarete???

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
I don't post too often, but tonight I am wondering the next course of action.

Myself, my dog, family and friends went for a few drinks and something to eat on Cabarete beach this evening. Our dog is large, a Japanese Mastiff. A US$3000 dollar dog (bread by a Dominican no less in the US) and a family friend. He was restless, so we thought, he was at least due at least a walk. This dog has no qualms with any person as beknowns to many posters here. We thought we would take him with for a walk to sit on the beach with us, so we could enjoy a something to eat and quiet drink. A generally quiet evening amongst the tourists! Within 20 minutes a member of the policia and the politur together told our party that dogs were not allowed on the beach. A Dominican friend and I politely (and I DO mean politely) spoke to the "police forces" to say our dog was on a leash, held firmly, and poses no threat to anyone on the beach. At this point he was so tired he was asleep with sand in his wrinkly face. They "kindly informed us" in an aray of "co?os" and "gringos" that dogs may not be on the beach. They then beside us radioed that "there was a dangerous dog ROAMING the baech and they required back up. Bring weapons because the dog is dangerous and could attack children." (this is 10.30pm) We were also informed that if the dog was on the beach more than five minutes then the dog would be extinguished and we would be taken to jail.

After a small argument in which we were told we weren't worth talking to we left.

It didn't matter in what way we approached them the answer was "you're dirt tourists and and don't belong here."

I hope that someone can at least enlighten me to the legalities. We feel that we were treated extremely unfairly, and I don't believe F*ck you gringa should be in the phrase book of any official. Pleases compose some kind of response. I know that to leave it be is probably the easier course of action, but with this kind of treatment I can't understand how anybody can live here.

If you feel this an over reaction please state. Thanks for your time.

Jon

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I can't answer for Cabarete but I do know that since the new sand was put on the beach in Puerto Plata, there have been notices up saying no dogs on the beach. Maybe the same applies for Cabarete now? Did you see any notices? Sounds to me like Politur should have pointed you, politely, to the notices and informed you that rules have changed, if indeed they have. I can't think of a single good reason for them to use bad language, except possibly cocaine withdrawal symptoms...............

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I've spent a lot of time in Cabarete (over 18 months in the last 5 years) and I can't recall seeing anyone told to take their dog off the beach.

I don't know what the 'law' is, but during the day, it's not unusual to see people with their dogs walking up and down the beach. In the evenings, there were always 3 or 4 dogs (strays?) that were around... and I certainly saw people on occasion with their own dogs at the bars/restaurants.

Whether there was just concern over the size of your 'little' boy or some newly enforced regulation, I don't know. I would think you could ask a few of the restaurant workers if they've experienced anything like that before or if they think you were singled out for some reason.

The officer's response to you seems heavy handed and certainly poorly worded, but at the same time they're due some degree of respect. I think there was nothing wrong with questioning them about letting you stay, but at some point if they're insistent and you're not cooperating - they either have to walk away or take stronger action.

Any reason they'd say "you're dirt tourists and and don't belong here."? With a dog, are you a resident? I have to say I've never witnessed that type of treatment there.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Before anyone shouts me down ..... I agree the treatment/responses were hard & unjustifiable, AND that no form of bribery should be necessary BUT, ....... they probably wanted to be invited to have a drink with you???

Dominican Police (especially Politur) have a desire to be treated as 'Special' & not being invited to join you & your friends for a drink, may have upset their way of thinking - i.e. you were excluding them from drinking on YOUR money! Obviously, they were 'much too plite' to ask for a drink - so they just got Bl**^y stroppy instead!! ~ Grahame.

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
He is a big dog that I do agree with, but we had only got as far as buying some drinks which we bought AT the bar. We are lucky if whilst talking to friends we made it more than 10 paces towards the sea. I saw no signs, if I had I most probably would have have had more common sense than to post here. Unsure on the cocaine statement mind you, you don't think that policemen may have some element of corruption here? :eek: @ Grahame: even a quick beer couldn't mooth this over.
thank you for you responses.

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
It has been brought to light that after we left a friend was enlightened by the police that Leonel PERSONALLY spent US$70,000 to refurbish the beach. Hence the no dogs rule. They allege that there will be 3 or 4 officers every morning to prevent dogs on the beach. Please don't get robbed. :( I'd hate to think everyone was too busy. :confused:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Unsure on the cocaine statement mind you, you don't think that policemen may have some element of corruption here? :eek:

You need to ask..........LOL?

It may be that the signs haven't gone up yet. The beach work has only recently been finished.

How long are you here for? Make sure the police don't make life difficult for you for the rest of your stay.

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
I have been here since 2003 more or less. I should hope that a small matter of small mindedness should make my living and working life harder.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To wight-boy

Surely the cops could have been polite, about performing their duties.
I have no doubt that they do not want dogs on the beach, specially now that they are beautifying it.
Dominicans in general are not big dog fans to start off with.
They are more likely to love a rooster than a dog, and big dogs scare the heck out of them.
It's no stranger than Indians perceiving cows as being sacred.
It looks like we will have to refrain from bringing our dogs to the public beaches.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I agree that dogs should be kept off the beach. Who is going to clean up after the dog. I don't mean you wight-boy. I mean it in general terms. Dominicans don't pick up the garbage on the beach. Do you think that they will pick up dog $hit. What about the stray dogs that make their way to the beach. Especially places like Boca Chica. What will be done with them?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I thoroughly agree with the above poster, jruane44.
the proble is that YOU would most likely pick up after your dog, but your neighbors would be loath to do so. Therefore, everyone is on the same page.

A shame, but I do think that you might want to go to the Politur office and seek an interview with the "comandante" , just to report on the incident, find out the facts, and make a polite complaint about the abusive language.

If need be, you take a lawyer with you so that they cannot bamboozle you...

Just be firm, play hurt, emphasize the fact that you are totally legal, an investor etc, etc.....Just say you want to understand, so please Mr. comandante, what are the rules...??

It might make you some friends if carried off right.

In New York City, NOBODY can walk a dog on the streets without a
"pooper scooper" . Violations cost major cash, and no exceptions....

HB

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
new rules for Cabarete beach

Since the reconstruction was completed last week or so THERE is now a HUGE new sign at the main entrance to Cabarete beach at the end of "French Alley" authorised by the Secretario de Turismo.

It clearly states NO domestic animals.

Also now banned amongst other things are bottles and glasses, drugs, guns, bicycles, and cooking your own food.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Maybe if dog owners were aware that doggy doo carries a parasite that will live for a very long time in sand and if stepped on by humans will bore into the foot and do a lot of damage even to the point of causing a fatality if not recognized and treated promptly, they would hesitate to bring a dog onto a beach - ANY beach!!

At home in Canada domestic animals are not allowed on public beaches (at least in our city!) and carry heavy fines in found........

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I agree with the new rules

While I do not condone that you were treated so harshly , I rather like the rules of no dogs on that beach especially. I am a dog owner , and we always had our dogs on leashes there but many dogs were not. We did clean up , but many people did not.
We saw rogue dogs and tourists dogs chasing unsuspecting tourists and terrorizing children.

Walk the dogs on barren beaches here. There are plenty of them.
Just go past Velero and there are miles of beaches to let yourDogs run. Not amongst visiting tourists and playing children.

Good Rule but please , when do we start getting Presidente in plastic ?

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
Hmm, maybe so 'cause he needed to sh....
In that case the beach is no place to walk the dog.

m'frog

No but he certainly has p**ed himself at the comedic value of your post. :tired:
I would of course clean up after him, had I have walked down the French Alley and seen the sign, I would have understood, the same if it had have been pointed out to me OR AT LEAST EXPLAINED!

I understand the ruling, I was unaware it existed, especially considering the number of strays. It's most certainly cleaner and more hygienic for the beach, I am in no disagreement there, and as has been mentioned, there plenty of other places to walk.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Signs on Cabarete Beach

There are two signs posted on Cabarete beach. One at the end of the "French Alley" , the other in beside Fanatic/Pitu where the public access to the beach is. The signs are quite big and you can't miss them unless you enter the beach through one of the beach restaurants.
I totally agree with the no dogs rule on the beach. It used to gross me out when I saw them doing their business in the water or on the beach.
I haven't actually seen any stray dogs the past few days. Maybe they were "taken care of" by the authorities again.
I took a picture of the sign today and would like to post it here, but don't know how. Help??

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are two signs posted on Cabarete beach. One at the end of the "French Alley" , the other in beside Fanatic/Pitu where the public access to the beach is. The signs are quite big and you can't miss them unless you enter the beach through one of the beach restaurants.
I totally agree with the no dogs rule on the beach. It used to gross me out when I saw them doing their business in the water or on the beach.
I haven't actually seen any stray dogs the past few days. Maybe they were "taken care of" by the authorities again.
I took a picture of the sign today and would like to post it here, but don't know how. Help??
You have to upload the pic to a host website, such as Login to your Photobucket.com account
Then generate the HTML - IMG code for message boards, copy it and paste it in here.