Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SolarChill

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb SolarChill

Here is something interesting that could help out in the DR. Hope it comes into market soon. The question I would like to know is the longevity of the fridge. Couldn't find anything on that point.

SolarChill: About SolarChill

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

The Solarchill was primarily designed to keep vaccines cold in areas where there is no connection to the electrical grid or power provision is erratic (as in the DR). It is not intended so much for household use, although I'm sure at some point an offshoot of the tech for that purpose will become avaialble. I wrote about this a couple of months ago.

Regards,
    Keith

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

From the specs I was able to view it seems like it takes 10 days to "cure" or get to maximum cooling capacity. Some vaccines however cannot be frozen and for these situations the SolarChill actually has a filament heater that avoids getting the temps down to 0C. If the SolarChill is that efficient at a current prototype price point of between US$1500 and US$2000, I wonder what the mass produced price point could be.

I can't see this getting greenlighted for mass production soon enough.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Solar refrigeration is already for sale in the DR. The solar companies have catalogues and offer these. I recently saw a horizontal refrigerator by Electrolux at an exhibit by ProEnergia.

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
    Solar refrigeration is already for sale in the DR. The solar companies have catalogues and offer these. I recently saw a horizontal refrigerator by Electroluz at an exhibit by ProEnergia.
    Yes, but I am willing to bet that the Electrolux relies on lead-acid storage batteries. Solarchill doesn't.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this new technology should be evaluated with another use in mind, considering that vaccines are a rather specialized product that is mostly marketed through public health institutions. I wonder how does the SolarChill refrigerator perform as a beer cooler, under DR market conditions.

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Leave it to Mirador to suggest that beer matters more than vaccines.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't think thats what he said. Just that it would be a good way to teest the product if beer can be kept cold in some of the barrios. The "health institutions" would be thee primary market because of the vaccines, but just think about the possibilities for beer. Cold beer anywhere without having to rely on Ede-xxx.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Do the solar cells ever run down and need to be replaced?? What's their life span?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeftFeet View Post
    Do the solar cells ever run down and need to be replaced?? What's their life span?
    Some one tell me I'm reading this wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast