Computer Jobs in DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chodebronson

Aug 31, 2006
what are the job opportunities like for an IT professional in DR? I hear that there are a lot of computer related jobs these days in Santo Domingo, is this true? also curious as to what the expected pay might be in this job field.

thanks

chodebronson

Aug 31, 2006
in the world of computers it really doesnt matter what language the windows software is installed as. basically just trying to get an idea of the market and pay.

melvyn

Dec 2, 2006
Well, I'm not hiring but tell us about your skills.

If you get a programmer job, expect something around 10k to 20k. You'll need to be an expert in Java, Delphi, .Net Technologies (certiifed in C# and VB.Net) SQL Server and Oracle... and PHP of course. Those are minimun requisites. After that, you can reach RD$15k (around US$500) and do programming stuff in Visual Basic 6 or Visual Fox Pro at most. If you're lucky, then it's possible reach a webmaster position in which you can do whatever you want and will be considered good job.

If you get a good job in a big enterprise (banks, verizon or something so) you can expect RD$30k.

At Santo Domingo there are some jobs in free zone (at San Isidro free zone) where they do outsourcing.

Anyways, remember the most important: more than 50% of dominican graduated end at a computer store selling accesories and pc with their bachelor title. Another big % end driving a taxi cab.

Don't you know that almost all dominican want go out of here?

Good luck!

chodebronson

Aug 31, 2006
my skill set is more backend, dont do any programming whatsoever. I've been a sr. network administrator for an investment bank in nyc for about 5 yrs. major skills being networking, exchange, sans, backups and disaster recovery setups. outside of programming there isnt anything I havent already mastered. hell I used to drive a taxi myself yrs ago so maybe that will come into play! ha

thanks for your reply and have a great day my friend.

melvyn

Dec 2, 2006
So, you're over the average here.

I'm sure with your level is well paid over US$10k/month at USA. Never expect that here. At most US$2k/month

If you look for yourself will not be so easy. But with good contacts (like everything at this country) you can expect a manager position at a high profile company... and expect no more than US$5k/month (if you're senior network administrator at a bank).

The requisites here aren't the same that US. So, if you're medium executive there, you can be high executive here.

Another quotation:
I have some friends certified with MCSA, other one CCNA. Those certifications guarantee here a wage of RD$25k to $40k (per month of course). Can you compare to USA.

Remember: Some contact with somebody high-positioned is needed.

chodebronson

Aug 31, 2006
well this year I'm probably going to pass the $200k mark as far as compensation goes, but I'm going visibly insane working in this god forsaken city each day, so a little low end work might just be what I need.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
based on your background, consider investigating u.s. based consulting firms that do work in DR.
you might just be able to work out something on a contract basis, or if really lucky perhaps a monthly retainer and you just work when they need you. you'd be in-country, quickly available, and they wouldn't have travel costs associated with your work. might even get a u.s. insurance package in the deal.

the reality is there are some very highly skilled Dominican IT personnel, and they already have the better jobs. if you don't have excellent spanish skills you'll be somewhat handicapped in a typical job hunt.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You may just go quietly insane working in the DR with a professional backend skillset. Things are not always done right here :classic:

I can confirm this is a gross UNDERSTATEMENT.....LOL I can tell you horror stories as can Chris..........

To the OP, please send me a PM or email. I would like to chat with you.

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
When I searched in "All Types" in Dominican Republic, there wasn't a single job listed. :bored:

Lin

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
Thanks Chirimoya, thought it was just me! :cheeky: However, on this subject, does anyone recommend any online job recruitment sites for roles within DR?

Lin
:bunny:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is a very old thread so I will close it.

linmagic - there are some DR recruitment sites - the one that comes to mind is aldaba.org

Status
Not open for further replies.