Constanza or Jarabacoa ?

noborders

Dec 4, 2006
... I know there is another thread with the same question, but my interest is different : I am looking for a place with lush vegetation to take lots of photos (if possible, some nearby parks or botanical gardens) - fern trees, limestone caves if possible, waterfalls without too much jamboree around, birds and insects songs at night, ...
+ and a place where to sleep far from discos and as close to nature as possible (I can sleep rough but my only luxury is real silence at night, that is, with only sounds from the nature).

So, which would be the best place IYO ?
(Jarabacoas seems nice and I'll avoid weekends anyway, but I am not sure to find silence there - maybe on the edge of town ?)

Many thanks in advance.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Jarabacoa environs has lush vegetation rivers and waterfalls. My sister in law comes from a very small town, (pop. maybe 200 hundred) by the name of Manabao, just about about 10 miles west and 2000 feet up from Jarabacoa. There, you'll find what I found: Peace, beautiful vegetation, panoramic mountains, many rivers and friendly(curious) people. And best of all: An amazingly starry night sky. You can actually make out the milky way's galactic bands sans telescope! What a great place to camp out!!!
Alright, now for the bad part: the town has no electricity. It is very chilly even in summer. we visited in august and spent the night, (wife and two children), huddle in one bed for warmth. In the daytime (not at night, go figure!) the aggressive mosquitos like to suck you dry. And if you visit during rainy season;- Nov. thru. Feb.- It's treacherous because of the mud slides and flooded roads.
If you need further info PM me. Will be glad to help.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Constanza is much quieter than Jarabacoa, and although green is less lush than the area around Jarabacoa. If you head up the road to Constanza you will reach the Ebano Verde Scientific reserve. It seemed to me to be a little less than halfway to Constanza. We only saw birds, but a number of different species, including some parrets. Jarabacoa-Manabao-La Cienaga by car can be an experience, at Cienaga is the trail head to Pico Durarte. Near Manabao is the Organic coffee plantation owned by the writer Julia Alverez(In the time of Butterflies, and How the Garcia girls lost their accent) They have a work share/stay program. She has a website for info.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I like Jarabacoa until I stepped out of my SUV and was attacked by a bunch of little black bugs that bite worse than mosquitoes. Jarabacoa has lots of bugs. Is this true of Constanza also?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
snuffy the suntan lotion you put on your body was actually honey. No wonder I couldn't find it in my bag. can you please return it? I have your cheap suntan lotion here in my car.
AZB

Aug 19, 2004
Constanza is my favourite.

Try taking the road to San Jose de Ocoa at least up to the Monument (central point of the country). Although this is not lush vegetation (better seen on the road up to Constanza from Bonao) the scenery up here is a incredible - pine forest and mountains. I even did this trip once by motoconcho.

C

Chip00

Quiet

If you don't know how things are here, in terms of "real" quiet I recommend that you make sure to stay away from the most, if not all, roads. People passing by late at night will inevitably have their radio at full tilt and the motorcycles would jolt Rip Van Winkle from his slumber with nary a thought. This goes for unpaved roads too - A fifth of Brugal can embolden the locals to attempt racing on pot-holed roads at 3 in the morning with no headlights and no mufflers!

Check out this web page - I think it may be very helpful even though it appears to be from the gov't.

Ecotourism and Adventure Activities - Dominican Republic - Official Site - Birdwatching, Helicopter Tours, Hiking, Horseback Riding, Biking, Rock Climbing, Whalewatching, Rafting

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Me as a "Jarabacoense" speaking prefers Jarabacoa a lot over Constanza. By size alone there is so much more to see and to do in the area of Jarabacoa.
Constanza is okay for a day trip but for me that's it (waterfall "Aguas Blancas", road in the direction of San Jose de Ocoa until Valle Nuevo).

C

Chip00

Anyone know if either of the towns have gyms and what they are like?

Check out the guia telefonica from Verizon. There are gyms to be found in the in the smaller towns and thay will usually charge 20RD a visit but their equipment appears to have been manufactured when Marlon Brando was making "On the Waterfont"

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
I like both. If I had to pick one, I'd choose Constanza because it's more remote. Mi Cabana hotel at Constanza is nice and isn't expensive--last time I was there, they charged 900 and 1100 pesos for rooms. If you have 4WD, do the road between Jarabacoa and Constanza--the mountain views are beautiful.

noborders

Dec 4, 2006
Many thanks for all your ideas. I am still hesitating, maybe will visit both places, Jarabacoa or a nearby village from Puerto Plata before Haiti where I'll visit an NGO, and Constanza returning from there.

I'll be travelling with public transportation, do you know if there are really risks of landslides blocking the roads next month ? And is it really that bad with mosquitoes, even day time ??

Other comments are still welcome, thank you in advance.

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
I live really close to Ebano Verde, and that is really lush cloud forest - loads of rare orchids, some found only in one particular slope. The vegetation around that place is a real microclimate, different from Jarabacoa region. I also spent some time around La Cienaga de Manabao, which has some great trails where you can see various different ecological niches in a few hours, from alpine through montane and various types of riparian and cloud forest. Accomodation in these areas is less than luxurious though - depends what you are after.

The road up to Constanza from Bonao is largely paved and rather good (though there was a fatal accident on it today apparently). The road to Jarabacoa from La Vega is great, and paved past Jarabacoa into the mountains to Manabao. Both routes amply served by guaguas, and Caribetours goes to Jarabacoa. The road between Constanza and Jarabaco (via Paso Bajito) is largely unpaved, though there are two or three guaguas daily that do it. Very few landslides at the moment because it is not the really rainy season.

noborders

Dec 4, 2006
George Holmes (#16), is La Cienaga de Manabao the same town as La Cienaga near Barahona ? And where is Ebano Verde ?

? To be honnest, I prefer to see rice fields in the landscape rather than greenhouses (sorry, my own taste, it looks more exotic and tropical to me), so most of the photos of Constanza that I have seen sofar do not inspire me much (except the ones in the fog, or in the clouds of course) ;

And does anyone know if there are peaceful and nice little villages around Banao, as this is an area that seems surrounded by rice fields ? (? hoping that some are green or flooded, this time of the year : not sure of that)

Atamael

Sep 22, 2006
Jarabacoa is my favorite, stayed in Rancho2Rios right at the end of Avenida de la Confluencia this cabin is fantastic and very quiet at night, it is run by a Mr: Tiburcio who was very accomodating to Us. Take some real heavy duty repellent since the mosquitoes there love fresh blood. Enjoy your stay.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
La Cienega about 30 km from Jarabacoa

2hp0uc9.jpg

I went to a funeral here in a bannas plantation. These poor(very) farmers were white skinned and blue eyed.