Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default santiago landlord from hell

I am leaving Santiago. I have been on the island for 22 years and have had great experience with Dominicans and Haitians alike. This last house I rented for 4+ years has the landlord from hell. He came through today with his lawyer and fingered every tiny nail hole and hummed and hawed over all kinds of ridiculous things. We have to see him again on Friday and are assuming he will try and keep our deposit. Any one out there have any advice? We should have kept all the receipts for all the plumbing and electrical stuff that we repaired ourselves. I would love to warn other expats about this moron man so that if someone else rents the house they will know what to expect. It is in las Casildas which is a popular area for expats.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought landlords always kept the deposit (because it has already been spent!). You just don't pay the last month or two rent, by agreement.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    I thought landlords always kept the deposit (because it has already been spent!). You just don't pay the last month or two rent, by agreement.
    Not necessary ... by some property rent agreements in DR the deposit can not be spent on the last months of the rent .

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

...but the landlords always are trying to keep the deposit by different reasons possible...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm drawing a blank. Where is Las Casildas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how it ended

Ok, so this is what happened. The landlord had us meet with his lawyer who asked us to pay 15,000 RD to paint the house because the filtration problem was definately our fault. (what an idiot) He ended up keeping about 4500 RD from the deposit as we did not pay the last month rent as per the comments. Anyway Las Casilda is the neighbourhood beside cerros de Gurabo. Renters beware...Calle E #3

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Francine, let him sue you, but first, get some confederates and line them up with a story for use as witnesses in a future trial, go register a police complaint, say breaking and entering, threats, and do anything that you have to do, but please, please don't step on your landlord's blue suede shoes...

Merry christmas! ;-)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominican renters never pay back deposits. In most cases, they do not have it anymore so they simply can not pay something back.
    Renters usually do not pay rent the last months before they leave.
    I heard this several times from Domincan people.

The landlord coming with his layer is a bad sign, you should be prepared for the worst.
    The lawyer will not want to spent his time for nothing, the landlord probably want to get the max out of the gringo.
    Best take your valuables (car etc.) out a little earlier, make a date to leave but already have everything out to avoid an "embargo".

9. Likes webgurutoo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just live out the two months deposit and not pay the landlord another dime.Get everything
    in order,buy my plane ticket and get the hell out!

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you realize you're answering a thread that is from 2006??

Admin
    DR1.com

12. Likes bronzeallspice, waytogo, bakersindr liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast