Understanding the Dominican/Haitian relationships

samana3

May 31, 2006

A short piece of writing to understand beter the Dominican/Haitian relationships.

Sixteen percent of the Dominican Republic is of European descent, eleven percent is of African descent and the remainder of the population is a mix of both European and African descent with a growing community of chinese and arabs. Though there is a preference in Dominican society for lighter colored skin and European racial features, ?Blackness? itself does not condemn a person to a lower status. Upward mobility is possible for darker skinned Dominicans who acquire education or wealth. While Dominicans and Dominican culture are seen as European, Haitians and their culture are perceived as being African (RACE = 3). Both groups are Roman Catholics, but most Haitians practice a syncretistic Catholic-voodoo faith, which Dominicans look down upon.

All forms of Haitian culture, such as its holidays, voodoo practices and Creole language, are socially discriminated against. Dominicans typically claim that there is a distinct Haitian ?appearance,? which usually consists of darker skin and shabby clothing. There is a direct relationship between levels of discrimination in Dominican society and how Haitian-like a person is?determined by such factors as darkness of skin, level of education, knowledge of Creole, the type of accent one has when speaking Spanish, Creole names, and clothing (ETHDIFXX = 4).

Haitian immigration to the Dominican Republic dates from the late 19th century when the U.S. boosted sugar production on the island (TRADITN = 5). Dominicans tend to resent Haitians based on racism against ?African? racial traits, the Haitian occupation of the Dominican Republic from 1822 to 1844, and historic abuses (which are often exaggerated or made-up) by Haitians against the European-descended Dominican population. Anti-Haitianism reached its peak in 1937, when approximately 25,000 Haitians were murdered by the Dominican military at the direction of the Dominican dictator Trujillo. By 1980, estimates suggested that more than 200,000 Haitians were residing permanently or semi-permanently in the country. Due to increased conflict in Haiti, and poor economic opportunity in Haiti, estimates are currently closer to 1,000,000.

Today there is widespread informal discrimination against Haitians and this has been cited in various human rights reports and news articles. In terms of formal governmental policy, Black Haitians face political discrimination primarily in the arena of citizenship (POLDIS00 = 4). Additionally, a number of social and law enforcement practices discriminate against Haitians: the military often uses unrestrained force when dealing with Haitian protesters, many Haitians have been found dead along the border, and thousands of Haitians are illegally deported every year, usually being unable to tell their families. Deportation is often based on appearance, which has lead to several darker Dominicans being deported as well. Informal policies make it extremely difficult for Haitians to acquire legal status, which would entitle Haitians to more public services.

Haitians are the poorest of society, earning 60% less than average Dominicans (ECDIS03 = 4). They often do not receive adequate nutrition or health care due to their illegal status and fear of deportation (DMSICK01-03 = 3). Most Haitians work in the lowest positions on the sugar plantations or construction sites, where they do the jobs no Dominican would ever consider. Many Haitians living in the Dominican Republic are rounded up and forced?often at gunpoint?to work on the sugar plantations for less than $4 a day, if they get paid at all.

Black Haitians are represented by three organizations, all of which rely on conventional political activities to advance Black Haitian interests (GOJPA01-03 = 2). There are no reports of violent activities being undertaken by the organizations (REB01-03 = 0). One organization did stage a protest march in 2003 (PROT01-02 = 1, PROT03 = 3).

After much international pressure, Haitians are now permitted to receive an education because the government stopped requiring birth certificates for attending the public schools?birth certificates are extremely difficult to obtain for children born on Dominican soil to Haitian parents. However, poverty usually condemns Haitian children to work instead of attend school, and this leads to high levels of illiteracy. Also after an international campaign and a little internal pressure from Haitians, the Dominican government started a documentation process for thousands of Haitians in April 2002. However, the extent to which these policies will continue to be carried out, and the extent to which they will have a positive impact on the treatment of Haitians, remains to be seen. As of 2003, the status of most Haitians remains unchanged and widespread social discrimination still keeps Haitians at the bottom of Dominican society.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
Sort of redundant

Pehaps you would've been better off putting this post in a couple of other active threads on this board--both are discussing the same or similar issues.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Samana3 You forgot to mention that a percentage is also from the Taino indian descent. I guessed you missed that on your "research"

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Samana3 You forgot to mention that a percentage is also from the Taino indian descent. I guessed you missed that on your "research"

Nyeden, the Taino is a much more living heritage in the Dominican Republic than the African. Are you aware of the hundreds of words of Taino origin currently in use in the DR? Did you know that the pronunciation of the aspirated "H", and the distinct nasal sounds in Dominican spoken language, particularly in rural areas, are traits of the Taino language? Also many other language structures in use by Dominicans are derived from the Taino language. So where's the African heritage in the Dominican? In the dark skin? Yet many chroniclers from the beginning of the Conquest, including Columbus' son Diego, mention very dark natives...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You mean partial Taino indian descent.

Not many foreigners buy the idea of Dominicans who may have significant Taino ancestry, despite the fact that I (a Dominican) have seen plenty who could easily pass for, let's say a Guatemalan or Mexican mestizo. Anyone who has ever been to a fiesta patronal in various towns or villages in the Vega Real or the Cibao in general have probably seen Dominicans who if you were to see them outside the DR, you would never have thought they were Dominican, but rather Central American.

But, then again, such 'look' could be the result of the shuffling of european and african genes more than European and Taino genes or African and Taino genes or even European - African - Taino genes.

Having said that, a relatively recent investigation of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans (the Dominican sample were all from the southern region, primarily Barahona province) found that the Dominican sample used in the study found that around 10 to 15% of the mitochondrial DNA comes from Taino indians.

That's quite something considering the overwhelming consensus among foreigners and some Dominicans that the Taino element has not only been extinct for centuries, but is no longer significant in the admixture of Dominicans. Despite such assumption, the 10 to 15% Taino genes found in a significant portion of the Dominican sample is quite high for people who are "suppose" to have almost no trace of Taino genes.

With more genetic studies and investigations, the true racial make up of most Dominicans could be answered and perhaps, put to the rest the debate between mostly foreigners vs. Dominicans.

Usually, the foreigners insist that its impossible for Dominicans to have a sizable amount of Taino genes while the Dominicans insist that its not only possible, but certain physical features in Dominicans of certain parts of the island (mostly rural areas in the Cibao and the South) proves this.

Time will tell whose right, but for the moment the DNA testing results are on the Dominican side of the argument.

A few links which further go into detail pertaining this subject are the following:

Mitochondrial DNA in the Dominican Republic

Cemies, Ceremonial Parks and DNA: The Creation of a Taino Identity in Boriquen and the Cibao, Dominican Republic

Documenting the Myth of Ta?no Extinction

BTW: None of this should be a "shock", at least not to Dominicans. We always knew that the country was and to certain extent continues to be a predominant tri-racial, tri-ethnic, tri-cultural melting pot. This is clearly evident in the various cultural influences originating in Tainos, Europeans, and Africans and yet, each of those influences have affected and are used/expressed in every single Dominican. This is the case, regardless the socio-economic group or racial category of the Dominican individual.

Then there are the name of places which have remained either purely Taino (ie. Bonao, Cibao, Higuey, etc) or have been mixed with Spanish and Taino (ie. San Pedro de Macoris, San Juan de la Maguana, etc).

Then there is the name of food, plants, insects, environmental phenomena or storms, and even the food itself such as Casabe bread, which is not only Taino in origin, but its still produced in the traditional Taino way.

Also, please keep in mind that we can focus on any of the three major influences present in Dominican culture and people and to focus on one is not to deny the other. However, modern scholars, anthropologists, and academia in general (especially foreigners) have a tendency to focus in decending order in the: 1. African 2. European 3 Taino influences. The Taino influences is sometimes even ignored all together.

-NALs

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
mirador, That's not what I said, my post was in reply, to that Samana3 forgot to mention that The Taino descent, I think you misunderstood the post,I am well aware of the Taino heritage, read again please.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
BTW, a good article to read is the following:

Latin America and the Concept of Social Race

It's the best description of how the social construct we refer to as race evolved in the different regions of the Americas (including Anglo-America or what's more commonly called US and Canada).

The paper compare and contrasts the three major racial classification patterns that has evolved in various parts of the Americas.

Put particular attention to the parts where it concerns Brazil and the Caribbean, since that is where Dominican racial categories (and perhaps the dilemma between Dominican and Haitians) is best explained, even though the DR is never cited in the paper.

On the other hand, Haiti is cited a few times in the paper and goes into some detail of racial classification in such country.

For those who don't want to read the entire article, simply read the introduction which I have included below. It perfectly summarizes the various racial classifications in various parts of the Americas:

"The term "social race" has been used in the past as well as in today's American societies. We are speaking about "social" race, because these groups or categories are defined socially much more than biologically, in all of the American societies. However, the terms by which they are labeled, may have originally referred to biological characteristics. Thus terms as "Negro", "white", "Indian", or "mulatto" do not have any genetic meanings in most of the American societies - in one society they may be classifications based on real or imaginary physical characteristics, in another they may refer more to criteria of social status such as education, wealth, language and custom, or in yet another society they may indicate near or distant ancestry. So the same person might be classed as a mulatto in Brazil, a Negro in the United States, and perhaps a mestizo in Mexico (7). Modern socio-cultural anthropologists argue there are no true "races" in the world, since they are not exclusive groups or distinct biological types. Thus race is a subjective concept, not an objective fact (6).

From the anthropological point of view the focus is upon the complex problem of relations among (and within) such groups. These relations are to a great extent determined by the way people are classified in social races in the multiracial society. More specifically, the criteria for defining social race differs from region to region in the Americas. In one region ancestry is stressed, in another region socio-cultural criteria are emphasized, and in still another, physical appearance is the primary basis for classifying people according to social race. This means that in each of these regions we can observe different number of social races as well as different structural arrangements for race relations. The different ways in which each region conceives social races reflect the relations between people of diverse biological and cultural origin within a larger society."

-NALs

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
mirador, That's not what I said, my post was in reply, to that Samana3 forgot to mention that The Taino descent, I think you misunderstood the post,I am well aware of the Taino heritage, read again please.

Sorry Nyeden, must have left a gap, or a comma, from my response. Actually, my post was addressed with Samana3 in mind.
Love these threads... And sure enough Mr NALs just happened to come out of the woodwork and jumped into the fray with his mention of mitochondrial DNA analysis as derminant of race, which by itself is very questionable. By the way, did you know that the aboriginal cemetery in La Caleta was a very clever invention, a theatrical prop created, circa 1962, by an unethical anthropologist to promote his eurocentric agenda?

samana3

May 31, 2006
Nyeden, the Taino is a much more living heritage in the Dominican Republic than the African. Are you aware of the hundreds of words of Taino origin currently in use in the DR? Did you know that the pronunciation of the aspirated "H", and the distinct nasal sounds in Dominican spoken language, particularly in rural areas, are traits of the Taino language? Also many other language structures in use by Dominicans are derived from the Taino language. So where's the African heritage in the Dominican? In the dark skin? Yet many chroniclers from the beginning of the Conquest, including Columbus' son Diego, mention very dark natives...

Nyeden I agree with you on your Taino statement, Personally I believe that the Dominican Republic is the country where the taino influence is most preserve. We have many towns with Taino names many foods many dominican names etc etc etc......... but let me remind you that I didnt wrote this article.
Now the part in which I don't agree with you is on your question on "where's the African Heritage in the Dominican Republic" well let me answet that question first let ma take you back to the Pre-Columbus time where about 1 million Tainos where living in (kiskeya/bohio/ahyti) now known as The Dominican Republic and Haiti. Now lets go to the 1490's where columbus came to semi destroy the Taino presence in Kiskeya and then many Spaniards,French (Europeans in genral) came to settle in Kiskeya now the Europeans didn't want to work in the fields so guess where they went to get "wokers" aka= slaves yes! bingo you are right to Africa!! thousands of black Africans slaves como to Kiskeya and to not make the story long let me skip to the year 1804 where african slaves in the western side of the island now known as Haiti gain independence from their Europeans masters making Haiti a role model for other black countries. Now the Dominican Republic still had manyyy Europeans controling the eastern part of the island now known as the Dominican Republic so what did the Hatitan do in the year 1822 yes correct invaded (Spanish Haiti) as the Dominican Republic was known back then. The reason Haitians invaded the Dominican Republic was to get rid of slavery because they felt that the whole island had to be free not only the western part of the island. Now lets go to the year 1844 where a group of Dominicans mainly of European decent decided that no black country was going to control them so they declared independence on the mixed-raced nation now known as the Dominican Republic. Now lets go to the period of 1930-1960 where a man known as Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina has an idea of a "pure white" nation and felt that Haitians were trying to destroy all European influence in the Dominican Republic what did he do yes your right he killed about 30,000 haitians and black dominicans and welcomed many German jews and Europeans to migrate to the Dominican Republic. Now let me bring you to the year 2006 where ignorant people like you believe that black Dominicans are decendants of the Taino Darked skinned natives.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
... Now let me bring you to the year 2006 where ignorant people like you believe that black Dominicans are decendants of the Taino Darked skinned natives.

Now, now that wasn't a nice thing to say. I hate people calling me ignorant, it makes my Taino blood boil. ;-)

samana3

May 31, 2006
Now, now that wasn't a nice thing to say. I hate people calling me ignorant, it makes my Taino blood boil. ;-)

ig?no?rant (gnr-nt)
adj.
1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

as you may read my friend ignorant is not an insult it only means a person who is lacking of knowledge.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Samana3 , again I did not mentioned anything about the African Heritage, I think there is a confusion as to reading my reply's but if you read carefully you will figure it out. So I assume that comment of yours, that I was being ?ignorant? was not directed to me, Anyways, Tainos, African, European all apply, to the Dominican heritage. What is really a shame is that none of out Natives Tainos survived to this day. Unlike the Native Americans Indians in the states, or the indigenous tribes of south and central America,. They were all extinguished by the Spaniards during Columbus, therefore, I really don't think that A holiday like Christopher Columbus day should be honored or preserved at( especially in D.R in my opinion ) in spite of all that innocent massacre and carnage that Columbus discovery brought forth to our natives . I don?t think that a lot of people or history books acknowledge that.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
In the dark skin? Yet many chroniclers from the beginning of the Conquest, including Columbus' son Diego, mention very dark natives...

The idea that dark skinned dominicans came from the decendants of dark skinned natives is a stretch to say the least. I've read that the taino population was under 1,000 in the 1600s.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The idea that dark skinned dominicans came from the decendants of dark skinned natives is a stretch to say the least. I've read that the taino population was under 1,000 in the 1600s.

Ricardo, there are documented reasons why the early Spanish authorities underestimated the native Taino population, including the fact that they were urged by the Spanish Crown to provide restitution for the earlier exploitation of the aboriginal population, and the criteria used to determine the Situado (yearly monetary allocation provided by the Spanish Crown). Also, unlike the African, the aboriginal Taino population was not racist, and quickly intermixed with the European, to the extent that within a few generations most of the population was mestizo and were considered Spanish for official census purposes.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Ricardo, there are documented reasons why the early Spanish authorities underestimated the native Taino population, including the fact that they were urged by the Spanish Crown to provide restitution for the earlier exploitation of the aboriginal population, and the criteria used to determine the Situado (yearly monetary allocation provided by the Spanish Crown). Also, unlike the African, the aboriginal Taino population was not racist, and quickly intermixed with the European, to the extent that within a few generations most of the population was mestizo and were considered Spanish for official census purposes.

The racial attitudes of the Africans and Tainos did not matter with the Europeans, their only concerns was their gratification and forcibly took Taino and African women as their concubines, it was not an equal union and they did not have a choice, no courting or love involved. The result was the creation of a mixed race population. Since, the Taino population was decimated by the early 17th century and the African population continued to flourish, it's believed that the majority of the Dominican population is of a European/African mix. Mulatto rather than Mestizo.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
"Meslato" may well be closer to the mark. there happens to be an anthropologist down here doing research on the colonial census records and she has discovered that the population figures have been misinterpreted by many scholars. Apparently many (and I dont know how many, so bear with me) Tainos were counted as Europeans after having assimilated culturally -- they were living in the colonial cities and villages, wearing European dress, etc. According to the anthropologist (whom I saw on TV about a couple months ago, and unfortunately I do not remember her name or where to find her work , but I am sure Juan Rodriguez of the Museo del Hombre dominicano can tell us), this indicates that perhaps more Tainos survived than has been hitherto believed.

one other point: Samana, in your initial list, you mentioned that Dominicans look down on various Haitian practices such as Vodu or other rituals. Well they do and they dont - it depends. Gaga, a dominican variant of Rara, for example is excoriated by some and embraced by others. Vodu, by the way, is not exclusively Haitian. It is also Dominican, a legacy of slavery here, and it has been argued that the Petwo division, the more fiery of the pantheon, is actually a Dominican contribution. Anyway, some will argue that this is a mere Haitian importation, but the reality is that that is not true.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
"Meslato" has a nice ring to it Mirador.
I hear that those terms are no longer "Politically Correct", but the best things in the world are mixed: Coffee & Milk, Rum & Coke, Peanut Butter & Jelly, etc..