Questions for pet owners....

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I am moving next year and would like to know the following:

1. How to bring animals (Dogs and cats) into the Country from US.

2. Any good vets in the city (Nnaco, Gazcue, El Vergel, Esperilla) areas? Or close by that?

3. How is walking the dogs in the city? Are there parks? Green space?

4. Are Taxi's animal friendly?

5. Are there boarding facilities for when I travel?

Thanks

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I am moving next year and would like to know the following:

1. How to bring animals (Dogs and cats) into the Country from US.

2. Any good vets in the city (Nnaco, Gazcue, El Vergel, Esperilla) areas? Or close by that?

3. How is walking the dogs in the city? Are there parks? Green space?

4. Are Taxi's animal friendly?

5. Are there boarding facilities for when I travel?

Thanks

I assume it is the same from anywhere. You will need all your pets' vaccinations up to date, including rabies and for dogs Leptospirosis, no less than 30 days before entering the DR. You will also need an International Health Certificate from your Vet issued no more than 10 days before arrival. All your pet documents should be translated into Spanish.
The first time I brought my pets with me, I went through the proper channels, i.e. the Dominican Consulate to have my documents "legalized". It cost me a lot $$$ for legalizing and translation. Now I just keep a copy of my docs on my PC , update the info and have my Vet sign it.
I am not exactly familiar with the area you are moving to, so I can't really answer some of your questions.
I took my dog to the Vet in a caro publico one time.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
3. How is walking the dogs in the city? Are there parks? Green space? Park Mirador is really nice.

4. Are Taxi's animal friendly? They do accept dogs but you have to pay more and inform them when you call (people fare $120, doggy fare $250)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You will need a current Vac. Cert. There is ,I think 1 year on Rabbis. Also a well dog Cert. from vet., no more then 7 day from travel. We go back every 2-3 months. This is what is was Dec. 12th.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Thank you everyone

BUt does anyone know about boarding? For example when I go to the country for the weekend? Are there places to board your dogs in the city while you are away?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Boarding is not a problem. Most vet clinics offer boarding. I go to Clinica Veterinaria Dr. Piantini on Roberto Pastoriza close to Winston Churchill and my dog loves it when she gets there. Tel.: 809-540-7106

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
This was faxed to me From the DR consulate in NYC

To take a pet to the Dominican Republic
1.Take the dog to a vet.
2.Get certificate of health and certificate of vaccination.
3.Be sure that the certificate of health should be dated within 9 days before traveling.
4.Be sure that the rabies vaccination should be at least 30 says before travelling.
5.Write your own letter as follows..I [your name] mention your address in the USA,your passport # and that the dog belongs to you. and That the attached documents of Certificate of health and certificate of vaccination are for my dog.
6.NOTARIZE that declaration..
7.Get AUTHENTICATION of the notary's signature by the county clerk [at the court] where the notary is registered.
8.Bring these documents to the Dominican Consulate for them to legalize it.
9.Legalization fee is $100.00 USD..Method of payment Cash,Money order,or certified bank check.
10. You could get Legalization of your documents by mail if you live outside of New York..If that is the case you need to enclose a prepaid envelope to return docments to you..

Any additional information call 212-768-2480 ex# 1013 ask for Wanda who speaks English fluent...These requirements override any prior requirements as of 12-01-06....

Don't forget to attache a copy of these documents to the kennel if it is going in cargo..Keep several copys and the Originals with you in carry on..Once through customs you will go directly to processsing the release of your dog into the DR with Immigration... Good luck..It is not as hard as it sounds...Zak

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Juanita

3. How is walking the dogs in the city? Are there parks? Green space? Park Mirador is really nice.

4. Are Taxi's animal friendly? They do accept dogs but you have to pay more and inform them when you call (people fare $120, doggy fare $250)

Is this for real? a doggy fare is double that of a person..??

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Yes, I guess to pay for the removal of doggy hair and get the car cleaned afterwards!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
:nervous: Yeah, you got to watch those Rabbis:"You will need a current Vac. Cert. There is ,I think 1 year on Rabbis."

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
I just took a dog to the d.r and brought back to the U.S!!

All You need is an Up to date Vaccination Certificate!!! All vaccinations are good for one year!!!

When entering with you dog for the first time to the D.R you must bring a Vet good certficate of Helath no old than 15 days prior to entering the D.R.

In the case to re-entering the U.S. If the Dog has its papers as a U.S Dog Including Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands all that they required is that all vaccinations are up to date. If the Dog Spends more than a Year and must get vaccinated in the D.R then the U.S will required you a Good health Vet Certificate "Make sure you tell your vet is to re-enter the U.S" so they make it in English so it does not dealyed you!!!

Certainly the D.R is a little bit more strict with aimals than U.S they check the paper work more and the officials some of them do not know the laws!!! It is very important that in order to protect yourself from a migration D.R Inspector that do not know what there are doing. Contact the D.R Consulate in Miami, or any other consulate or Embassy in the U.S and try to get the rules in a letter so when you get there and in case they tell you that you must go with your dog to the agricultural dept. that maybe they will have to quarantine it" you have the information written and not waste time. It is unpredicteble it all depends which customs D.R officers you get. Just to let you know if they quarantine your dog is like sending him to death camp. It would propably die. I have recently bougth a villa in Casa de Campo and i have made the trip with my small ****zu a couple of times NO TROUBLE IN the U.S But some times you get a new D.R customs officers that does not know what is doing. I have made the trip already 3 times thrue casa de campo airport my last time they saw me and they are starting to recognize me and the dog and there is no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or delayes!! Also watch for the Phrase we must inspect your dog so you must go with them. What they due is to put your dog in a pound full of deceased animals so you will give them some money!!!! Be carefull!!! cover all angles!!!!and you will have no problems...

Last edited:

pizzabite

Aug 19, 2006
Copy of regulations

Hi Kemo,

Would you be able to fax or mail me a copy of the rules and regulations regarding "entering with a dog" from the DR Embassy/Consulate?

Thanks for your help.

C

Chip00

Brought pet from Orlando

We brought our pet with us from Orlando and all we had was the shot record and the International Helath Certificate, none of it was legalized nor notarized -we just showed them the documents and that was that. That was at the Santiago Airport.