getting sick in the DR

Sep 19, 2005
I know that I have seen my GF get cold symptoms, but they dont last very long....and now with the flu season here in the north east...I wonder if they get the flu down in the DR... and if someone with the flu goes down to the DR will they be speading the flu to many of those they come in contact with.

Then the next question woud be..if dominicans do pick up these types of illnesses from americans or tourist...are they hit extra hard by them?

I been to the DR in every month but august.....and I cant remember seeing many sick people....

bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There is a strong flu strain in effect in Dr at the moment. Every one around me are sick.
I was sick too.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The current "thing" is a type of grippe that seems to start inthe throat with an irritating cough and some hoarseness, then progresses to tons of phlem with big coughing. Curiously, little or no fever! You do feel "down" but the biggest pain is the nose blowing and coughing...

Obviously, I am just getting over this. My wife still has a day or two more.

Most everyone in the house got it.

During my exams, a lot of my students were coughing and sniffeling...

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The Dominican gripe (flu) is king of all flus.
Who would have thought you could get such a bad case in the tropics?
It appears to me that Dominicans have stronger immune systems than people from the industrialized nations.
We protect ourselves so much from germs & bacteria, that we can't "auto protect" as well as they do.
Of course, the upside is that we have a lower infant mortality rate.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Last December I got a really sore and swollen throat to the point where I couldn't even swollow water cause it hurt so bad and I couldn't lay down to sleep cause I couldn't breathe and a massive fever... Went to the clinic, got 4 shots in the ass (never cried so hard in my life from the pain) and a couple hours later I was like new.... but damn that was some "throat infection" as they said .... and no it wasen't from what any of you are thinking...pervs :tired:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i came here my immunity is as good as dead, i pick up infections by a dozen. also had this currents mutant flu recently but thankfully it only lasted few days.

also looks like a conquistador (me) has brought own bacterias and viruses and minovio's flus are now much worse than before. he also had three shots of antibiotic in his poor butt after his flu changed into bronchitis.
i have noticed, however that my immune system picks up, my first flu in DR lasted three weeks....

i am getting acclimatized, i guess. does anyone know how long does it take for a gringo's body to acclimatize properly in DR?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i am getting acclimatized, i guess. does anyone know how long does it take for a gringo's body to acclimatize properly in DR?
Somewhere between 200 years and never, with regards to the gripe.
We do seem to immunize against mosquito bites, after a few years.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mosquitoes? those are alien mutants that escaped from american lab on mars. how else would you explain a tumor a size of a fist i have after those venomous creatures spike me with their venom?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
mosquitoes? those are alien mutants that escaped from american lab on mars. how else would you explain a tumor a size of a fist i have after those venomous creatures spike me with their venom?
That is an accurate depiction, but the good news is that you will also mutate into a state of immunization.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The Dominicans do not wash their hands, the bathrooms have no soap, the bathrooms have no hot water. Dominicans are constantly shaking hands. Voila, it seems they constantly have what they call the grip which is actually variations of the common cold. One other is that they believe people get sick from being chilled, being out in the rain so there is little necessity for hygiene. Only my two cents but I get a flu shot every year.

C

Chip00

Not quite

The Dominicans do not wash their hands, the bathrooms have no soap, the bathrooms have no hot water. Dominicans are constantly shaking hands. Voila, it seems they constantly have what they call the grip which is actually variations of the common cold. One other is that they believe people get sick from being chilled, being out in the rain so there is little necessity for hygiene. Only my two cents but I get a flu shot every year.

Domicans DO wash their hands - if they are "de buena educacion".