Puerto Plata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What is Puerto Plata like?

There is much discussion on this board about Sosua, Boca Chica, and Santo Domingo but very little about Puerto Plata. Is Puerto Plata primarily AIs? Are there non-AIs located close to the reconstructed malecon and a beach area?

Does anyone have a link to a map of Puerto Plata?

webdesigner

Dec 15, 2006
I hope its a good place, I will be going there to stay at hotel allegro playa dorada very soon. I have to admit im going for the girls and hopefully get some action there or not to far from the hotel area, ill be going with my brother and a buddy.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
bigbird,

i like POP. in my opinion it doesn't have that small town atmosphere like caberete or sosua. there are plenty of things to do just like the other places. my favorite place is La Diosa Home

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the truth about POP

puerto plata is the most boring place on earth, right after the one where my parents live. it's ugly like devil's butt, it's chaotic, half dug up in an attempt to civilize it and half derelict, plague-ridden, dirty and stinking pile of basura. plus, did i mention it's ugly?
it is big enough to stuck you in traffic for hours but not big enough to have any cultural life. small enough for everyone to know you after you walk the malecon three times but not small enough to stroll from one side of town to the other without sweating your a$$ off.
plus, it's damn ugly.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
True on ALL counts dv8,:eek: but other than that it is OK!! :ermm:

For ME it IS home & it has some wonderful people living in it! I prefer it tp most other places in the DR & love the friendly banter with people who are prepared to welcome all-comers! ~ Grahame.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
I like to think of Puerto Plata as a city and like every city, there are nice parts and other parts which are ugly. I like sitting on the malecon on a Sunday and watching life go by, which is actually quite crazy, but ammusing. Apart from that, it is a place to shop for items that people can't be bothered to go to Santiago for e.g. quality fresh grocery (not like Sosua supermarkets), furniture etc...

Webdesigner - Playa Dorado is a complex of 15+ resorts 5 minutes east of Puerto Plata. This is where your hotel is. I don't expect you will be able to take the 'local delights' to your room. Security is tight for AI paying clients only.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
grahame,
people here are good indeed and chimigordo's are good too.
one thing that p***** me off so much is that POP is in such a bad shape, i pass by this abandoned ex-hotel monmar, or whatever was the name and i can't stop thinking how nice would that be to renovate it, make it university building or something, throw a park in front. same with all those beautiful old buildings in the city centre that are falling apart, little parks in all the green (well, now, mainly gay and dusted) areas.
then i see those primitives throwing basura where they stand, empty food boxes just thrown on the pavement (where there is a pavement) and i know it's gonna be generations before those savages get to the civilisation lever where one actually cares about environment...
so sad.
i went for a walk with minovio the other day, he ate milky way and was trying to push the wrapper between the bars of a gate, the rubbish been was just on the other side of the road... you should hear the names i called him!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know it may sound silly when i say i want to change dominicans. but i believe it is a change for better when they start using rubbish bins....

gosh, i'd rather put rubbish in my bag to throw it away when i get home that simply dump in under my feet....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Uh, oh, someone's into the rejection phase of culture shock all right! :)

I remember the days.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I have chosen to live in Puerto Plata. It has it's good and bad points. Unlike DV8, for the most part I like to live here. The city is basic by all standards but full of good people. There are the bad apples that have learned to thrive on the "tourism" economy.

Depending what you like to do - you may or may not find it here. In fact that applies to the entire country.

Sounds like you are here for the girls and you will not be disappointed. However if you are in Playa Dorada you will not be able to take them home with you. That is what Cabanas are for! :cheeky:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Depending what you like to do - you may or may not find it here. In fact that applies to the entire country.

Sounds like you are here for the girls and you will not be disappointed.

Actually the girls are not my primary concern (I usually pack my own lunch). I am considering visiting Puerto Plata for a few nights late February but not sure if there is anything interesting to do. I have spent plenty of time in Sosua, SDO, and BC. I must say my favorite place is Santo Domingo as there is always something different to do.

#1 - I definitely do not want to stay at an AI
#2 - I like doing one or two of the tourist things (guided tours, etc.)
#3 - My preference is to have a street map and hit the streets
#4 - I like to rise early and take a walk on the beach

Are all the beaches located in the Playa Dorado complex? My driver to the airport (JJ) took me on a tour of Playa Dorado and it is not for me.

Are there hotels near the malecon with beach access?

Thanks for any help........

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
La Diosa

Kyle...how much are the rates at your favorite place and how old are those girls?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
haha...50 an hour and about 21 yrs of age. check out Cristal's and Boeheim (spelling ? ).....they're ok too....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It wouldn't matter if there are, as the POP waters are not swimmable yet.
Who knows how many years it will take for the ocean to be safe to swim in, off of the Malecon?

Puerto Plata sounds like Santo Domingo.........a useless beach

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
Actually the girls are not my primary concern (I usually pack my own lunch). I am considering visiting Puerto Plata for a few nights late February but not sure if there is anything interesting to do. I have spent plenty of time in Sosua, SDO, and BC. I must say my favorite place is Santo Domingo as there is always something different to do.

#1 - I definitely do not want to stay at an AI
#2 - I like doing one or two of the tourist things (guided tours, etc.)
#3 - My preference is to have a street map and hit the streets
#4 - I like to rise early and take a walk on the beach

Are all the beaches located in the Playa Dorado complex? My driver to the airport (JJ) took me on a tour of Playa Dorado and it is not for me.

Are there hotels near the malecon with beach access?

Thanks for any help........
u could try the field of dream inn ..its located right acroos the street from the entrance of playa dorada..its small ,quaint ,and very clean and guest friendly ...i think i may have pics on the media gallery under my name to show what it looks like ..
tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.