Is a Panama Corp.S.A. accepted in the DR ?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I have read of a seven shareholder corporation in the DR..But I already have a personal corp. out of Panama..I see many companies in the DR ending in S.A. So my question is am I able to title my home/buisness and cars in this S.A. corp? I was told yes but mabye Mr. Guzman can answer it for sure...

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
Not a problem zak023. Actually, I higly recommend it due to this whole 7 shareholder situation with a DR. company. I never feel confortable having partners I don't know under any circumstances... All you will need to do is get an RNC number and your Panama company will be as effective as a national company. Unless Sr. Guzman can point out any down sides to using a Panama corp rather then a DR corp. I personally only see advantages...

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
iludvr

Thanks ..That is what I thought...It is a much stronger Corp. In my opinion..
I too only see advantages. But as with everything else in this country it is always best to double ckeck on everything buisness related..

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
Cons...

I am not sure if your Panama corp. needs to sue someone if they would have to put up bond, since it's a foreign company.
You will need a specific Assemble Generale with the description of the property to transfer, buy or sell. This assemble needs to be registered in Panama and notarized by the Dominican Consulate. Basically, a bit more paper work and leg work. If you have a good registry firm in Panama that should not be an inconvinience.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Disadvantages of Using an Offshore Corp.​

1) Contribution in kind without paying transfer tax not possible.

2) Extra expense to obtain a tax number (RNC).

3) Need a bond to sue in the DR.

4) Need for "domiciliation" (an expensive process) if seeking incentives of Law #158-01.

5) 25% tax withholding on any payments made to the offshore.

6) Annual maintenance more expensive than for a DR Company

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Mr Guzman

Disadvantages of Using an Offshore Corp.​

1) Contribution in kind without paying transfer tax not possible.

2) Extra expense to obtain a tax number (RNC).

3) Need a bond to sue in the DR.

4) Need for "domiciliation" (an expensive process) if seeking incentives of Law #158-01.

5) 25% tax withholding on any payments made to the offshore.

6) Annual maintenance more expensive than for a DR Company

Ok now that I have the disadvantages. What are the advantages? surely there must be some or people would not be useing them....

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Not that I am an expert on the subject by any means, but I am told the advantage is for tax purposes for foriegn property owners in their 'home' countries. I am reliabily informed that in turn if your Panama corp is owned by a BVI corp, it is quite difficult to audit. Particularly in the case of capital gains or income.

Of course, this comes at a cost and the property (s) in question must be worth a few $$$$.

I am sure there are other advantages related to banking / delclared income etc..

You need to figure out your income on the DR property / activity and off-set the running costs against points 1-6. Can't think what other advantages there would be.