WHITEWATER RAFTING IN THE DR

T

Traci

My family & I are planning a trip to the DR for Christmas time and I have heard that you can go WWR I would love to get more information on this. THANKS

L

louise

Ah - my favorite subject. You can go rafting on the Yaque del Norte river in the mountains close to Jarabacoa. The best option is to go with Rancho Baiguate (follow the link below). They have daily rafting excursions to the river, excellent guides and can help with transport from the coast should you need it. The rafing is about 2,5 hours. Levels between 3-5 depending on how much water is in the river when you go. And by the way - they don't take kids younger than 12 (I think) along. Contact them directly or go through a tour operator. There are plenty who offers this trip. Have fun and send me an email if you want to know more. Regards, Louise

D

DR1

WWR is only for those 14+ years old. Even if your children are younger, you should go. There is enough they can do at the Baiguate Ranch to keep them busy. Went recently and brought along my two sons (9 and 7 years old whom we left with a care taker the Ranch helped us arrange.) They went swimming in the river and horseback riding while we were gone. I recommend this excursion. It is exciting, but since it is a level three excursion, it's not too thrilling. I was also impressed by how professional the guides were. On the downside, note that Jarabacoa is in the center of the country and the distance may be too much depending on where you are staying. You can also spend the night at Rancho Baiguate.

For further information, contact Estela Rodr?guez at rancho.baiguate@codetel.net.do

Tell her Dolores Vicioso of DR1 recommended the trip.