Scary Stuff!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is kinda off-topic but it is scary stuff. So, I'll lay down the ground rules .. No Bashing!

Some of you may have seen that a whole school bus full of children was abducted in Haiti on Wednesday. This report says that there was over 100 kidnappings last month. Caribbean: News in the Caribbean - Caribbean360.com

So, the question is, will this latest type of crime take hold in the DR? Sure, we've seen kidnappings in the DR, but a whole school bus full of children?

And does anyone know if kidnapping is less prevalent these days in Colombia - which, to my knowledge was the previous kidnapping capital of the world.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my colombian friend used to tell me it's all rubbish about kidnapping, but on the other hand he's local and from bogota, he's never been in the jungle or out in the mountains claiming only stupid people and foreigners go there and they are the one who get themselves kidnapped, they ask for it...

what do they do with a whole bus of kids, for christ's sake? sell them for adoption? sell them for organs? surely parents can't afford to pay anything to get the kids back since they don't have much themselves!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
... what do they do with a whole bus of kids, for christ's sake? sell them for adoption? sell them for organs? surely parents can't afford to pay anything to get the kids back since they don't have much themselves!

The children are being held for ransom. Remember, there's no publicly funded school busing of children in Haiti (nor in the DR). The school busing is an expensive private service, which caters mostly to the wealthy. Kidnapping is nothing new in Haiti, and it's a very lucrative business, albeit despicable...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The children are being held for ransom. Remember, there's no publicly funded school busing of children in Haiti (nor in the DR). The school busing is an expensive private service, which caters mostly to the wealthy. Kidnapping is nothing new in Haiti, and it's a very lucrative business, albeit despicable...

i don't see it happening here then, not with dominican organisational skills....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No way they would kidnap a children's bus in the DR.
If they tried, it would the first & last time anyone would do that.
Dominicans are super protective of their kids.
It may not appear that way, but they really are, and anyone unrelated to the incident would be half ready to kill to help out.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nothing new here. Just the fact that it was more widely reported.

Kidnappings are par for the course in Haiti. When I was working there, several of my colleagues rented an apartment in a building in a good part of town. They didn't see the landlady for several weeks. She had been kidnapped, and it took her relatives longer than usual to come up with the ransom.

When it's foreigners, or as in this case, a busload of children, it becomes newsworthy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wow!

Just because a plan is doomed to fail, doesn't mean it won't be tried.

that was a cool story! just like in CSI!

nah, dominicans won't even try. no resources, no ideas. and they love their kids. kill a man, no problemo, do something to hurt kids, now, i don't see it happen....