Marco Raul Midence - With Love

sharito

Dec 15, 2006
The real treasures of life:

I was 14 years old in Santiago, Dominican Republic when I met the most wonderful person, Marco Raul Midence. He was just a few centimeters taller than me, long hair (because he never liked to cut it), huggable and chubby. The most adorable baby brown eyes I ever saw! Yes! I was smitten by him from the first day until I reached my 20th birthday. Marco Raul Midence was my first and forever love of my life.

I met him in the summer months of 1986. The best time of my life was day dreaming about him. My first kiss, my first love! I am very fortunate to have loved him and be loved by him.

My memories are beautiful, sentimental, and even a bit romantic. As he would say - we are both very "cursi", meaning we are romantic fools in our ways. At 14 years old I wrote a letter every day and mailed them every week. It was all going to Marco Midence, P.O. Box 618, Santiago. Every month I would make my 3 minute call to hear his voice. The butterflies in my stomach, the weakness in my hands as I dialed his home number - ending in 6418. I remember my lunch money was $3 every day and I would always save a little - even if it was .50 cents until I reached $6.80. This is how much is cost me to call him on a payphone located in the far end of the cafeteria of my school. His voice, our simple conversation, the feeling to have him for those 3 minutes were enough to carry me to the next phone call a month later. Every little card, every little detail of a girl in love was devoted to the most wonderful person in the world.

My letters to him were filled with love, dreams, and the innocence that escapes us all from time to time in our adult life. All those feelings resurfaced and awakened in me last year when Marco and I re-connected. Thanks to a networking website, HI5.com I found his sister, Mirtha. I was scared and excited to send her an email hoping that she would remember me. Her reply "how could we forget about you". After approximately 10 years without having any communication, we found each other again and it was like not even a week passed. Every memory, every tear of joy and love, every emotion resurfaced.

Marco Raul has been the most important man in my life. He gave me the definition to the type of man I need in my life - strong, opinionated, good-hearted, caring, giving.... everything you can think of to describe a genuinely good person. He reminded me of so many things that I had forgotten or chose to put aside because someone else disappointed me or hurt me. He made me feel that it was "ok" to be me again. He loved me as much as I loved him in our own ways over the years. He saved all my letters, cards, and little details from our childhood love. Every email we exchanged with filled with a little secret and different kind of love. "TMQ - MM". It was not the kind of love filled with passion, but the kind of love that you read in story books --- a love that turns into an unconditional love.

My Marco -- every friend, cousin, boyfriend knew about Marco. "Oh yeah - the love of your life" many would say. Even though not everyone knew him personally, everyone knew of him through me. Many would wonder how someone can be loved and admired as much as I did him.

"Marco, you will always be in my heart and my every day? Now you are watching over me to make sure I make the right decisions in life. To ensure that I will choose a partner in life that will value me as much as you did in life. You will be there for me every morning, day, and night to listen when no one else has the time to listen. I am sure that you understand that I never wanted to disrupt your life with your family and wife - but a piece of me always belonged to you and always will - the most gratifying feeling is that you knew that and were always cautious for me. I love you even for your balanced way of handling every situation. Your happiness was my happiness. I will always love and admire you!"

If you have read this far, you now realize that today is a sad day for many people. Marco Raul has passed away this morning. He has left us all in shock and deeply saddened. Words can not explain the loss, but the only way I knew how to manage this sorrow was by sharing these memories and sentiment. If you ever loved someone- truly loved someone, please don't hesitate to tell them. Sometimes the simplest "hello" let's the other person know you are there for them. Please do not live life in fear of being hurt. Loving someone, truly loving someone takes so little for so much in return. Be unconditional and give your heart and do not be selfish. Life takes many turns and to really love someone is to wish and support their happiness. Marco Raul had a beautiful family of two gorgeous girls and a loving wife. My heart goes out to them. His wife, Patricia, will be triumphant and overcome with the support of her family and friends.

Marco Raul is the son of HILLBILLY -

HB - We did not share many moments, as I did with Marco and Mirtha. Nonetheless, I remember the cute nickname you had for me 'nariz de turquesa". Recordar es vivir - smile.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
My deepest and sincere condolences Luis.

May God be with you and your family at this time and give you strength

My condolences to sharito as well and thank you for sharing this wonderful story

sharito

Dec 15, 2006
Thank you all! It means a lot for me to share a little piece of his life that many did not even now! Thank you from all my heart.

Sharito

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Rememberance

The real treasures of life:

Marco Raul Midence was my first and forever love of my life.

I met him in the summer months of 1986. The best time of my life was day dreaming about him. My first kiss, my first love! I am very fortunate to have loved him and be loved by him.

My memories are beautiful, sentimental, and even a bit romantic.

"Marco, you will always be in my heart and my every day?

Recordar es vivir - smile.

Rememberance
And you wait, keep waiting for that one thing
which would infinitely enrich your life:
the powerful, uniquely uncommon,
the awakening of dormant stones,
depths that would reveal you to yourself.

In the dusk you notice the book shelves
with their volumes in gold and in brown;
and you think of far lands you journeyed,
of pictures and of shimmering gowns
worn by women you conquered and lost.

And it comes to you all of a sudden:
That was it! And you arise, for you are
aware of a year in your distant past
with its fears and events and prayers.

~Rainer Maria Rilke

It looks like you never forgot it, sharito. I'm so sorry for your loss and sad that this has happened to Hillbilly who was planning a trip to Canada with his son Marco.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Luis, our hearts, prayers and love are with you and Asuncion at this dreadful loss. Now Marco will watch over you both.

Sharito, that was simply beautiful.

Ginnie and Grahame

Sep 19, 2005
I offer my deepest sympathy to Luis and his family . And thank you for showing us a little about this good person who touched your life...as well as those of his family.

Bob

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Luis, my deepest condolences to you and your entire family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Luis & Asuncion,
Taking the advice from Sharito's beautiful written post on her memories of Marco, let me just say how much I love you both as dear, DEAR friends.

Because you are hurting - I am hurting.
Because your eyes cry - my eyes are crying.
Because your hearts are broken - my heart is broken.
Because your world as been shattered - my world is shattered.

All the above would be true even if I hadn't had the pleasure & honour of meeting Marco - the fact that I had makes the pain just that much more easy to feel with you.

Have some peace my friends & I shall speak later ~ Grahame.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Grahame, that was truly moving - I wish I could find the words, but I can't.

We should have the equivalent of a minute's silence here, I think.

tropical

Nov 20, 2004
www.facebook.com
Grahame, that was truly moving - I wish I could find the words, but I can't.
We should have the equivalent of a minute's silence here, I think.

I also feel that at times like this it's so hard to find the right thing to say.

Luis & Asuncion, JJ and I are truly sorry for your loss and are here for you in anything that you may need...Our prayers are w/you.

Rocio

Luis & Asuncion,

We offer your our hearfelt condolences on the sudden loss of Marco. You are in our prayers.

We are sad within our memory,
Lonely are our thoughts today.
For the one you loved so dearly,
Has forever been called away

Shawn & Heather
Wud & Warden

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
HB: I've never had the pleasure to meet you in person, but through this forum I feel like I somehow know you and your family. I feel as if at a minimum I at least know the kind of people you guys are and it seems to me like you are all very decent folks who wouldn't hesitate a second in helping anyone (even those you don't really know).

I'm extremely saddened by this news and having two boys of my own I couldn't even bear the thought of something like this happening to any of them.

My most sincere condolences to you and your family.

Suarezn.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
My condolences to Hillbilly and family.

Such a sad occurence, but reality of the life cycle.

Remember the message of a very old merengue tipico which goes something like this (it's only the part I remember):

"Se murio Maria Montez, que tengan conformidad.
Se murio Maria Montez, que tengan conformidad.
Que uno van adelante y otros van atras.
Que uno van adelante y otros van atras."

The cycle of life.

-NALs

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HB, it saddends me to hear of your loss, my deepest condolences to you and your entire family.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Wow Hillbilly I am so sorry, the loss of a child I can imagine cannot be compared to any other loss. May you have strength to get through this. May God bless you with strength.