Riu Mambo

C

Cheryl

Hi-

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with the Riu Mambo in Puerta Plata. I will be travelling there on April 30th and would very much appreciate any info on the hotel. I'd love some comments and advice on anything wonderful to see or do nearby. General thoughts on the hotel, things I should know or do before I go would be great too.

Thanks so much, I'm counting the days!

C

S

Susanne

I stayed there three days in December 99, and although all inclusives are not our scene, we liked the Riu Mambo. The situation is very beautiful in Bahia Maimon and with rough hills around it. It will take you about 10-15 minutes to drive into Puerto Plata.

Food was generally very good and with lots to chose from (buffet style). And there were not any crowds or queues while we were there.

Rooms are fairly large with a balcony. Pool area is nice but entertainment starts every afternoon and I am not really into that kind of thing, so we prefered the beach.

The beach has brown soft sand. There are quite a few rocks in the sea but they are easily avoided. It is a good beach for children and there are plenty of beach chairs.

Beach activities are a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel in a neighbouring bay. This is actually a good idea as it gives peace and quiet to the swimming beach. You don't have to watch out constantly for motor boats, wind surfers etc. Most activities are included.

Plenty of activities for children and adults alike. Disco on the premises. We never tried it, but others found it good fun. For nightlife I would probably venture into Puerto Plata.

Service was good, and the whole place spotless. We found it a good place to stay for the last days of our holiday in order to digest all our impressions from travelling around in the Dominican Republic. However, the danger of all inclusives is that you don't get to see much of the country, and that would be a pity.

If you have the time and the money you ought to take one of the express buses from Puerto Plata to the Samana Peninsula and stay there a day or two. It is very beautiful. Also from Riu Mambo you can take day trips into the mountains, another "must". Don't bother with paying for tours of Puerto Plata. You can do it yourself cheaper and easier and at your own pace. On the way to Puerto Plata you pass two small neighbourhoods, Cofresi and Costambar. Cofresi has a nice beach and some nice restaurants. Costambar is mainly a residential area with nice restaurants as well and very quiet. There is a nine hole golf course in Costambar.

From Riu Mambo you can walk to the little hamlet in Bahia Maimon. It is an easy morning or evening stroll with great views along the way.

I hope you will have a nice time. You can find more reviews of the place on Debbies Dominican Travel Pages (follow link below).

C

Cheryl

Thanks!

Thank you for the information! I had really hoped to go to the Caribbean side of DR because of the beach and water quality but found a fantastic deal to Riu Mambo, I couldn't pass it up! I've travelled all-inclusive many times and actually like this "no thought" option but do plan on doing one or two day tours. I'd really like to find a good snorkel trip along with something where I can see the countryside. Unfortunately, a stay in another area will not be an option. Again, thanks! Cheryl

V

verona

hi cheryl - i?m spending great two weeks riu mambo?s sisterhotel riu merengue. merengue is about 300 meters from mambo. they have same disco. riu hotels are great everywhere in to world. i?m sure you enjoy you vacatios. this place is very very quiet and peacefull and of course beautiful.

O

Oliver Beecroft

It is the best hotel on the island and as clean as a whistle.I wish I was coming. The staff are very happy and are pleased to serve you. The 767 aeroplane is a squash on the plane though. The food is delicious and snacks are served from 10 until 10. The entertainment is fabulous and the you will see a show every night.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Riu Mambo - best hotel on the island?

It sounds like you really liked the place. The resort gets good marks in all the comments I've read. What led you to rate it as the "best hotel on the island"? For comparison, which other top resorts have you been to in the Dominican Republic, and what aspects make this hotel stand out above the others, especially compared to the other RIU properties such as those in Punta Cana?

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

L

Luis Midence

You should enjoy your stay. The place is very nice and quiet and clean. If you want golf, I would suggest Playa Dorado or Playa Grande (Allegro Resorts). Your first answer was probably the closest, most accurate picture of the place. I just hosted a visit from a couple that were staying there, and they loved it.