Jumbo supermarket opens in Santiago

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
SANTIAGO.- With the presence of thousands of customers, industrialists, executives and special guests, a new branch of Jumbo supermarkets opened to the public yesterday in Santiago

Last edited by a moderator:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
SANTIAGO.- With the presence of thousands of customers, industrialists, executives and special guests, a new branch of Jumbo supermarkets opened to the public yesterday in Santiago
Only for jumbo customers? if it is, this is discrimination ... calling ACLU & UN to investigate ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My prediction: It will close within a year. Location, location, location....

Let's see how good I am at predictions...

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was there a few days ago. It was not busy at all. I think it will fold soon. I think the whole mall will fold soon as there are no real buyers shopping around. I say 70% of the mall is still unrented and many locations are still not finished.
AZB

R0CKY

Nov 16, 2007
I was there a few days ago. It was not busy at all. I think it will fold soon. I think the whole mall will fold soon as there are no real buyers shopping around. I say 70% of the mall is still unrented and many locations are still not finished.
AZB
So HB was spot on, as usual.
Nobody knows Santiago like him. (I know, I know...... You know the best chica spots)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
To me, one of the big problems with Jumbo was that they were put in a location that is not accessible directly from street level.

I don't like going there because of the hassle of not being able to just walk right into the store from the outside.

The layout of the store was poorly designed I believe, looks like they were pushing department store merchandise over grocery store merchandise. Getting to the grocery merchandise coming in on foot from 27th avenue, is a long walk, then the escalator, then a couple turns through the general merchandise.

Don SantiagoDR

R0CKY

Nov 16, 2007
To me, one of the big problems with Jumbo was that they were put in a location that is not accessible directly from street level.

I don't like going there because of the hassle of not being able to just walk right into the store from the outside.

The layout of the store was poorly designed I believe, looks like they were pushing department store merchandise over grocery store merchandise. Getting to the grocery merchandise coming in on foot from 27th avenue, is a long walk, then the escalator, then a couple turns through the general merchandise.

Don SantiagoDR
Like HB said.
Location, location, location....

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Crapola

I was there 3 days ago. I loved the store. They had a lot of variety and the prices beat the h&ll out of Playero in Sosua.... I parked in the lot close to the doors and thoroughly enjoyed my shopping experience.
Oh....and it was quite busy.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We like it too.........

.........we replaced our "La Sirena" stop with Jumbo along with Pricesmart on our Santiago food shopping trips........

.....we park in the lower level (shaded and guarded) and use the escaltor to go up.........

......the bag boys bring down the carriage and load the car.....it's less busy, but busy enough, has a nice selection and the prices, especially on their "specials" are hard to beat.......

....we've been going there since they opened and haven't been sorry.....we hope they don't close.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
Colinas Mall has the best theater (it is QUIET, like it SHOULD be).......and parking is GREAT---SO many spaces!!! Plus, you don't have to worry about the TICKET being stamped. Also, the "A" route goes right to it!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I LOVE Their PRICES!!!

They are part of the Supermercado National's parent company!
The one in Santo Domingo is Too far for me to go,but I drool at their prices in the daily papers!!!!
They are in a "Mall" here too. Must be part of the parent cpmpany's "Formula"!
If they "fold" it will be because of their location,just as "HB" pointed out.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sep 19, 2005
Tavina and me went this week there. I dont really pay attention to the price differences between store much. We bought a nice blouse for Tavina and a new pillow for me...because I such a baby when it comes to sleeping..I need 2 pillows. We didnt walk into the food section, so I cant comment there. We parked downstairs within 50 feet of the escalators . at the top of the escalator right there on the right is the opening of the store!!! how much closer does it need to be? The mall is still at least half empty...but it takes time to fill up a place that big with so many stores in town already. I worried it would be too hot up on the higher levels...but it wasnt .

I think the selection for womens clothes was kinda skimpy. I know because we had been shopping all day before we got there.

bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
went to jumbo today. never thought about it but the layout of the shop is indeed strange. i don't mind walking right into the clothes section but sure you have to cross the whole shop to get to groceries.
good things about jumbo: lots of parking and some directly outside the entrance, they are the only shop in DR with bras in size D.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
went to jumbo today. never thought about it but the layout of the shop is indeed strange. i don't mind walking right into the clothes section but sure you have to cross the whole shop to get to groceries.
good things about jumbo: lots of parking and some directly outside the entrance, they are the only shop in DR with bras in size D.
Its can't be that strange, perhaps the executives of JUMBO know something most people don't. For instance, what you described in the quote immediately ring a bell in my mind.

If people's primary reason for shopping at JUMBO is to buy food and JUMBO sells all sorts of things, then it makes perfect sense that they designed the place so that customers have to pass through the entire store before reaching the food section.

Rather than writing a long response, think of this. Do you know why all the magazines and candy and such are usually on checkout?

Hm, there is nothing to do when in line waiting for checkout. Hm, a chocolate bar does looks good, maybe you will skim through a magazine, ah what the heck, its only a few bucks, let me buy it!

Its the same concept. As you pass through the store on your way to the groceries section there might be something that may catch your eye and you will buy.

Ever wonder why the basics (milk, bread, meat, etc) are always in the back of the grocery section or supermarket? Its the same reason.

This certainly works well with women and the DR being the DR, women are the one's that do most, if not all of the grocery shopping. Women being women, most of them like to look around when they shop and end up buying more things than they planned.

JUMBO is ahead of the game. ;)

-NALs