Best Mail Service on the North Coast

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Who: Banker Trust
Location: Sosua, on Pedro Clisante (Next to Banco Santa Cruz)
Phone: (809) 571-4622
Why: I've used three different services over the years and have found this one to be the least expensive while offering delivery times at least as good and in some cases better than the others. For instance, at the others I had been paying RD $700 to $800 pesos a week for magazines and letters received from the US. Now, after switching over to these guys, my costs declined to RD $375 to $500 for the same stuff.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My vote goes to EPS. I don't like their rates, but I've used the service for almost 20 years and have never had a problem.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
My vote goes to EPS. I don't like their rates, but I've used the service for almost 20 years and have never had a problem.

Like you, I too have used them for years without many incidents. In fact, you'd have probably considered me a heavy user before I switched. When I started, the prices were not so bad. That goes back to a time when we had an actual national mail service. However, over the last several years, their prices have increased insignificantly; so much so, I started searching for an alternative. This is what led me to my current choice. Previously, I was regularly paying inbound shipping costs which far exceeded the value of the item recieved. Now, that's not the case.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Seachange, I'm thinking about doing the same because of the cost, but am wondering if you can you send as well as receive.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
UPS? Is that the service provided by Bankers Trust? Did your outgoing mail cost less than it would have if sent by EPS?

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
UPS? Is that the service provided by Bankers Trust? Did your outgoing mail cost less than it would have if sent by EPS?

Yes, Banker Trust (and EPS) are agents for UPS on the North Coast. The rate we pay is whatever UPS charges them plus a markup. I don't know exactly what the markups are at EPS versus Banker Trust for mail sent via UPS. What I do know is that Banker Trust has been very competitive on prices for outbound and inbound mail & package service across the board. A friend of mine who imports beverage items which he resells to hotels had been spending RD $25,000 per month through EPS. He swtiched to Banker Trust and now gets the same service for RD $13,000. Obviously, he's a happy camper and apparently Banker Trust still makes money at this markedly lower rate.

I'm no expert but think that because EPS has enjoyed a vitual monopoly on mail service in the area for so many years, they've pretty much been able to charge what they wanted. However, now that they've had their first taste of competition, it should force them to lower their prices. On the other hand, given their move in Cabarete to a high rent district, their cost structure may not allow for a reduction in rates much, if any. Conversly, Banker Trust also rents safe deposit boxes, this diverse stream of income may allow them to keep their prices low. Just my thoughts.

Miami vice

Oct 17, 2007
best private mail service,North Coast

Business Mail. located in Puerta Plata. three times less expensive then EPS for letters. dvds.cds. I have an account with them. you can buy online. Bestbuy. com ,Amazon.com. small electronic stuff, digial cameras ,memory chips etc. no duty. no extra cost. I went to their central facility in Miami. I can have my prescription sent from Wahlgreens in Miami directly to Business mail and they forward via Santo Domingo. very inexpensvie and they never lost one piece of mail., incidentally I order my checks and legal documents sent thru them .no problem

Miami vice

Oct 17, 2007
Incidentally acccount with Business mail .business letter costs 20 pesos. DVD 25 pesos. to US. thats like express mail. for $.30 US
I sent a letter to Miami ,Federal Express. not overnight. two days. $40.00 total ripoff.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Any other info for your recommendation of Business Mail such as address in Puerto Plata, email, or website. Thank you.

Mar 2, 2008
EPS has shown me nothing. They are a headache to deal with, and are basically unresponsive to customer requests for information.

In fact, I have had many problems with the packages I have sent via EPS. The shipping is costly and slow. After 6+ weeks I recently received approximately 15 - 20 packages, all of which had been clumsily opened, and their contents in disarray, with more than a few broken items, all with no explanation or apology.

Some of the problems I have encountered with shipping might have to do with customs officials, but EPS has not provided any detailed account of what is needed, by whom, or for what reason, leaving me with little to go on, and no avenues of redress.

At the time I inquired about possible shippers, the people I asked had only used EPS, so I assumed they were the only game in town. Now that I know that alternatives exist, I will definitely give one or more of them a try.

After my recent experience with EPS, I have nothing good to say about them.

Reactions: AlaninDR

Miami vice

Oct 17, 2007
directions and phone for Business Mail/ They don't speak no English. Bring copy of passport. an ATM card. like Visa,Mastercard. and like a one time fee. It might be like 500 pesos.
On the highway before you reach. Palacio Justicia in Puerta Plata .a plaza called Turisol Plaza. on the left side. of highway. tel. number 809 970 0942

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Has anyone else besides Miami Vice tried this Business Mail and had any experiences they could share? (Positive and/or negative)

If you can really order and receive small electronic stuff without being taxed that would be great!!

I wonder if it works that way, if say family members wanted to ship you small electronic items, and it's not coming direct from Bestbuy or Amazon??