From Hillbilly's heart

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can't believe the depth of sorrow we have felt these past two days.
When I read Charito's post, my heart broke again. I remember her well...talk about "" puppy love" ....they were great friends...

Perhaps the sincerity of her words convey a little of what the Dominican community expressed over the past 36 hours.

I was going to title this note "The Dominican Way of Dying"..it was an experience well worth sharing...it is called "cumpliendo" and never before have I experienced it this way.

I will cut an past what I have told many of my friends:

Marco died of complications resulting from his chemotherapy. Five sessions had done little to slow the cancer. A recent exploratory showed advancing cancer along the small intestine and on the wall of the intestinal membrane as well as a small tumor in his stomach wall. The decision was made to suspend the chemo treatments and to go to a second line therapy..one that would attack the cancer cells directly and add a different chemotherapy.
However, there was apparent secondary effects of the chemo and they affected the pericardio sac, causing cardiac arrythmia (irregular heartbeats) and occasional blackout spells.

the last blackout was the last one....he died in the arms of his wife and brother...no pain, no horrendous deterioration.....very quietly..

I thank God for the 33 years we had. A handfull as a child, no matter he spread joy with so many of his antics....

As a man, he was a great father, husband, son and brother. he was a champion golfer, a very successful busnessman and a great ambassador for the DR...

The funeral was a procession of this nation's great and small: real great and real small...It was so moving...and a tribute to a life well lived.

As for Charito, she knows where we are! Always welcome here.

To all of you that have posted along the two threads, my most sincere thanks, you have no idea how much it means.

According to Patricia, Marco's wife, he is now an angel and will be with us all the time. I hope God took him for a forth in this year's Heaven Tournament.

Luis

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Hello, Luis, I gave you my condolence, in the the other post, and to let you know that i am watching the Aguilas cibaenas on the CDN in the internet, and it was nice of them to dedicated one minute of silence to your son marcos, it was nice of them. take care, Tony Cabrera.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
So painful.....

My most sincere, heart-felt condolences goes out to you, your wife, your son's wife and every single person touched by your son's passing.

I really can not start to understand how one feels when a son dies, but I lost the person whom I have love the most, my mom, therefore I know what pain is. So if you need to talk, please do not hesitate to send me a PM. With all honesty, I will be there to lend an ear.

Be strong and be well.

Y otra vez, que Dios lo tenga en la Gloria.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
Luis,
my most sincere condolences to you, your wife, and all of your family.
God will guide you through unity & family and give you strength.

even though some of us from DR1 do not know you personally, we feel we know you through your posts. And we are all here for you if you need us.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
No Words

Hilbilly,
I know you only by this name.

I have no words.

Only this empty space to offer.

A

apostropheman

Hilbilly,
I know you only by this name.

I have no words.

Only this empty space to offer.
unfortunately, for me, yo tambien.

i wish you and you family peace.

i sincerely hope to meet you one day.

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
HB
So very sorry to hear of your son's passing.
It sounds like he shared his life with wonderful father.
All our best

Mi amigo

Luis, your words so eloquently spoken as is the norm for you.

Having had the opportunity to meet you, your wife and Marco on our visit to your hovel will never be forgotten. I found that speaking only a few moments with Marco that he was definitely a chip off the ole block, a true gentleman and a credit to your family. Words cannot ease the pain you suffer, but with your stength and the support of your many friends from around the world I know you will endure.

Those we love don't go away,
They walk beside us every day,
Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear.

Hlywud and family
Ontario Canada

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Sincerely to Mr. Hillbilly.

Hello Mr. Luis.......

I`m a graduate of Pucmm and am very sad about the news of Marcos passing away......

La perdida de un hijo es irreparable pero con la fortaleza de personas que quieren lo mejor para usted espero que pueda ayudar a minimizar ese dolor......

Deseandole mucha salud y que Dios le de las fuerzas necesarias para que pueda seguir adelante.........

sincerely
STIOP

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
What terrible news.. I'm lost for words. My sincerest condolences. I wish you and your family strength.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
HB -
You have been a great help to me and my family with all of your good advice. I'm sure that your son was a wonderful person who now rests in peace. I know that you will be able to rejoice in his memory. - D

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Luis: saddened to learn of your son's passing, we offer our heartfelt condolence.

Carlos de Mao

sharito

Dec 15, 2006
Don Luis,

As always, each of you own a little piece of my heart. I love and care for you all very much and my arms are always open for each of you.

I am at a lost of words - but trust that you hear every syllable of what I feel in my heart and am unable to express in words.

As I always said good bye to Marco -- "Un abrazote fuertisimo - te quiero mucho".

Sharito (Charito)

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Lo siento mucho

Called your house yesterday, was told you were out. Very sad. Marco was a good man, as would be expected given he was the son of you and Ascuncion.

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
Sorrow shared. . .

Luis, I hope the sure knowledge that others care--and share in your sorrow--will be a comfort to you and your family in the days ahead. So many love you, including us,
John and Nancy

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
No one can Know the pain.......

....Unless you have experienced it first hand.
Once upon a time, I was a proud father of a beautiful boy of seven.
In the spring of his life, April 28 1999, he was taken away from me by a careless driver....One minute he was there alive and happy, the next, he was dead and gone.
There hasn't been one day since, that I do not think about my little boy and ask why?
We will never know the answer to that. We can only find comfort in knowing that for the short time we had them, we were the dear Dad and they were our beloved Sons. We gave them love and received something more precious than anything : The joy of seeing them alive and happy, if only for a short time.....Drink deep from the wine of delight that symbolizes Marcos' life!.....
The heartache will never go away, I'm afraid. The wound will heal in time but the scar will always be there....forever.

Please accept my most heartfelt condolences..........De toda mi alma.

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
Tears to my eyes..

HB,
The way you expressed yourself about your son has touched me in a way that I cannot describe. I feel now that I know you and your son a little more.

Losing a loved one is very hard, I know, but cherish the times you had and live in them. He will be looking down on you and knows how much you all loved him. Hold on to that and it will help you through it.

Although I have not been a member long, I think I can speak for everyone when I say that the DR1 community is here to help you, listen to you and pray for you.

May he rest in peace.