Need Medical Help for Friend

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have a friend who got food poisoning and has been sick now for 2 weeks. He will be in Santo Domingo Monday (tomorrow) and Sosua after that for the rest of the week.

Can anyone recommend a doctor in SD that might see him tomorrow - or from Tuesday on in Sosua. He did go to a medical place in Sosua and they wanted to put him on a 'drip' which he wouldn't allow.

Any help would be appreciated. PM me with any suggestions.

Ro

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
... He did go to a medical place in Sosua and they wanted to put him on a 'drip' which he wouldn't allow.

Although most emergency centers will, immediately upon admitance, connect and IV unit on almost all patient, in your friends case it sounds doubly justified, since food poisoning is accompanyied by dehydration brought about by persistent vomiting and diarrhea. Since your friend is only going to stay one day in SD and the rest of the week in Sosua, and considering that there are good gastroenterologists there, why not consult one of the local MDs?

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
if he's got food poisoning, why is he travelling to SD for one day? I'm glad I'm not travelling with him!

And to second Mirador, why wouldn't he let them put up a drip? Sounds like exactly the right thing to be doing and I'd expect a doctor in SD will prescribe the same.

Sounds to me like he should stay where he is, cancel the day trip, have the drip if that's what the doctor suggests and I'd guess a stool sample. Then some rest to get over it.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You got to be kidding?

Don't mean to be mean--BUT--did the food poisioning affect his brains?
Come on--listen to the advise of the other postings.
john

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Get some Ciprobiotico 500mg, take as instructed for at least a week, preferably 10 days, drink lots of water, buy mineral packs to add to water, if possible, to replenish what is lost, eat easy, only what seems to go down well, add lime to water if possible.
Avoid tea & coffee like the plague.
Eat as many bananas as wanted.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is a gastroenterologist at Centro Medico Bournigal in Puerto Plata that I think is pretty good. I have not gone to him myself, but he treated a friend in an emergency. His name is Dr. Reinaldo Perterreal Gonzalez. Office 809- 586-4363, cel 809-223-8588

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thank you all for your responses; information noted and well received. The reason he is in SD is to get his residency; he is beyond vomiting, but when back will follow precise instructions received and hopefully will take your advice (and mine for posting) to go to the doctor in PP.

Again thanks for all your time and feedback.

Ro