Villa Brigitte - greedy owner didn't return my driver's license

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexeym

Dec 17, 2006
My wife and I lived in Villa Brigitte which is located between Sosua and Cabarette for 3 months. It's a private villa with apartments and houses for short term and long term rent. When we were looking for an apartment for rent in Sosua area in September we visited this place. I didn't like that the owner (Florence Stuckmann) wanted to keep either my passport or driver's licence for the period of our living there. But my wife liked the place and we decided to stay there. Unfortunately living in Villa Brigitte was not as good as we thought. Almost everything didn't function properly or didn't work for certain period of time during these 3 months: wi-fi internet didn't work half of the time, cable tv box exploded (short circuit) and they brought another but also broken, air conditioner didn't work at all for the last 3 weeks, toilet was leaking, ... After a couple of days living there we unfolded sofa in the living room. We found there vomit left by those who lived in this apartment before us. When we showed it to Florence's husband and asked to clean it (Florence was in Santiago at that time) he said that we pay such a small price for this one-bedroom apartment (1300 USD / month) that we should clean it ourselves. Cleaning once a week was already included in this price but nobody cleaned it. The day we were finally leaving this place Florence came into an apartment and said that microwave is so dirty (of course we cooked food there) that I have to pay additional 30 USD for cleaning. This additional charge seems to be absolutely unfair because: 1) cleaning was included, not my responsibility and 2) it was not so dirty. I told her that I will not pay it. When I asked her to return my driver's license she didn't do it and started to threaten me. Considering that we paid for all 3 months upfront and paid promptly all charges for drinking water and washing our clothes I didn't expect any additional charges and that the owner can be so greedy and dishonest. I think that many people in Sosua know her so I would appreciate any comments or suggestions from people who know her or lived in Villa Brigitte or know similar situation. I think that she doesn't have any legal rights not to return my driver's license.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not that it sounds like they gave you your money's worth, considering your complaints, but I am wondering why you wouldn't have simply cleaned the microwave oven, rather than dispute over not cleaning it and having to pay 30 bucks, and subsequently not having your documents returned.
If the villa's price included maid service, then it would be their responsibility, that the microwave was dirty.
If not, it was yours.

alexeym

Dec 17, 2006
Not that it sounds like they gave you your money's worth, considering your complaints, but I am wondering why you wouldn't have simply cleaned the microwave oven, rather than dispute over not cleaning it and having to pay 30 bucks, and subsequently not having your documents returned.
If the villa's price included maid service, then it would be their responsibility, that the microwave was dirty.
If not, it was yours.

I said to her that I can clean it but she just wanted money. And villa's price included maid service.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Alexeym,
They have no right to your license. You need to get it back which I know sounds easier than it is going to be. Not sure if you were renting a car or own one, but you always need it with you anyway. For the future, keep copies of your documents and let them keep that instead.

alexeym

Dec 17, 2006
Then it would have been the right time to bring a cop over to the her house and get your license back.

I would try to do it, but there are two problems: 1) I don't have registration or permanent residence in DR; 2) Probably local police will not help me with my problem (I never contacted local police but heard about it from other people).

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Are you now back in your country of origin? Why not apply for new licence saying you lost your old one? If you say it was stolen or unlawfully retained you may have to produce a police report which it sounds like you don't have. Alternatively, contact your consular representative and ask them to pay the owner a visit to retrieve your licence. If you are still in DR enlist police assistance; they will help particularly if you make it worth their while (that means a cash present).

I will be interested in your response to see if there are reasons why you can't follow up any of these suggestions.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I would try to do it, but there are two problems: 1) I don't have registration or permanent residence in DR; 2) Probably local police will not help me with my problem (I never contacted local police but heard about it from other people).
How about paying the $30 to get the license back, then go back the next week and break all her windows? Just kidding, but the point is, how much trouble are you willing to go to, to avoid paying 30 bucks?

florence99

Mar 11, 2006
I am the legal representative of Villa Brigitte. The administration has never impounded your driver?s license, as you paid for your stay in advance. Your accusations are all unfounded, as the Villa Brigitte Beach Resort pride?s itself for the excellent service offered. Let me remind you that under Dominican law, slander and defamation are considered a criminal offense, even if published over the internet.

Basic cleaning of the apartment was included in your rental price, considering you always refused to have a maid. As agreed on in your rental contract, you are obliged to leave the apartment in a clean state (final cleaning fee not included). Take in mind that you voluntarily signed the rental contract and all its conditions.

Hereby I suggest that you complete your final payment, as well as return the apartment keys and a radio which you have subtracted illegally from the resort. In case you don?t follow our suggestion, I will notify the legal authorities, filing a formal accusation against you as well as post an impediment for you to leave the country.

Licda. Brigitte Stuckmann

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Complaining

I'm a little confused over the 'standard of expectation' many of the tourists have when visiting the DR.

For some reason when people are on vacation they do things they normally wouldn't do in their home country. For example, in my home I would never think of leaving a government document with a landlord. Plus I'd never prepay months in advance without first inspecting the property and having a check list signed off by the landlord.

Please, for those of you are that considering renting from a private party (that's someone that just advertising a place to rent) use the same common sense that you'd use in your home country.

Go with your gut feeling and by the OP's post it sounded like he knew from the start that things didn't 'feel' right.

Jack

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I am the legal representative of Villa Brigitte. The administration has never impounded your driver?s license, as you paid for your stay in advance. Your accusations are all unfounded, as the Villa Brigitte Beach Resort pride?s itself for the excellent service offered. Let me remind you that under Dominican law, slander and defamation are considered a criminal offense, even if published over the internet.

Basic cleaning of the apartment was included in your rental price, considering you always refused to have a maid. As agreed on in your rental contract, you are obliged to leave the apartment in a clean state (final cleaning fee not included). Take in mind that you voluntarily signed the rental contract and all its conditions.

Hereby I suggest that you complete your final payment, as well as return the apartment keys and a radio which you have subtracted illegally from the resort. In case you don?t follow our suggestion, I will notify the legal authorities, filing a formal accusation against you as well as post an impediment for you to leave the country.

Well, this is interesting to say the least. Always good to hear the two sides to a story! Someone is not telling the whole truth now, are they? Just wonder which one...hmm...

One question though, if the rentors paid all three months in advance, which this above post confirms, what does the management deem the "final payment"? Is it the $80.00US? Sounds like a small price to pay considering all the legal action the management is threatening.

Marlie

Feb 9, 2006
Amazing Hospitality!!!!

OK, Let's recap. You go to Villa Brigette and...

1. You get mediocre accommodations
2. You get vomit in the sofa (for free)
3. You get shaken down when you leave
4. They threaten to sue you when you complain
5. They threaten to impede your exit of the country

To owner of Villa...you should probably refrain from letting your lawyer speak on your behalf. Not the best PR/Marketing tool. The shortsightedness and stubborness of the Dominican business person is astounding. $30. You go, Flo!

florence99

Mar 11, 2006

He stayed one whole day in the apartment before the administration charged him the rental fee, so if he really didn?t feel quite contented he still could have expressed his discomfort.
Besides, even if the tenant deposits his passport as a guarantee of his good faith, it has no economic value whatsoever if he destructs private property of the resort.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
as well as return the apartment keys and a radio which you have subtracted illegally from the resort.

Ahhhhh, now we have the case of the missing radio and the unresolved case of the missing percale sheets. Which will see closure first?

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
You left out a few things

Funny that the OP does not mention that for all three months they rented the Villa, the owner daily took them with her to the Gym in Sosua, I personally witnessed this. Of course if she is so greedy why did she not ask the OP to help pay for gas. 60 trips to the gym amounts to a pretty penny on a Guagua.
Also the OP does not mention how the owner took them under her wing and befriended them introducing them to many of her close friends at the gym and around town.
I did not witness the cleanliness of how the Villa was left, but what you consider a little mess can be a disaster to others. The option was given to allow the OP to clean the Villa and not pay the $30.
Lastly if the service was so unaccommodating then why did the OP's wife make a Christmas present to give to the owner.
As usual without hearing all sides of the story it is easy for the readers to jump to conclusions but having met the OP and his wife numerous times, and being a close friend of the owner for several years, I can assure all readers that the OP is making her out to sound horrible. Speaking with her today she is distraught because she treated these people with the utmost respect, friendship, and beautiful accommodations and is repaid with slander and for now a borrowed radio.

alexeym

Dec 17, 2006
Are you now back in your country of origin? Why not apply for new licence saying you lost your old one? If you say it was stolen or unlawfully retained you may have to produce a police report which it sounds like you don't have. Alternatively, contact your consular representative and ask them to pay the owner a visit to retrieve your licence. If you are still in DR enlist police assistance; they will help particularly if you make it worth their while (that means a cash present).

I will be interested in your response to see if there are reasons why you can't follow up any of these suggestions.

I'm still in DR but I think that it's not so important to contact consular representative. I will think about contacting police. I have another (Russian) driver's licence which I can use here and they have my US licence which I can get back without problems when I'm back in the United States.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm still in DR but I think that it's not so important to contact consular representative. I will think about contacting police. I have another (Russian) driver's licence which I can use here and they have my US licence which I can get back without problems when I'm back in the United States.

Ever hear the saying"playing with a home team advantage"? If not I suggest you find out what that means before you go off half cocked and call the police.
john

alexeym

Dec 17, 2006

I can testify in court that everything that I wrote in my first message (every detail) is true. False accusations are made in THIS message. I'm very surprised to read about "a radio which I have subtracted illegally from the resort".

alexeym

Dec 17, 2006
He stayed one whole day in the apartment before the administration charged him the rental fee, so if he really didn?t feel quite contented he still could have expressed his discomfort.
Besides, even if the tenant deposits his passport as a guarantee of his good faith, it has no economic value whatsoever if he destructs private property of the resort.

This is not true. Several days before moving in I paid 300 USD deposit which is obviously non-refundable and I was asked to pay the remaining balance immediately after entering Vilage Brigitte. And I never refused maid service.

Status
Not open for further replies.