Folk Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

csilver

Nov 9, 2006
Hi Folks,
I'll be in Puerto Plata 1/19 - 1/26, 2007 & I am a collector of folk art. I don't mean tourist junk. I'm looking for skilled but untrained people whose work reflects the indigenous culture of the area - paintings, scupture, whatever. I'm willing to go virtually anywhere on the Island if there is a promise of good works. I'll even visit people in their homes, if they would prefer. I don't speak Spanish but I'm being accompanied by a Spanish speaking friend. Thanks for any help you can give me.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
This may be a new category of Folk Art, but I have always enjoyed seeing the handpainted images outside stores that indicate what the stores sell. I dubbed it commercial folk art and always said that, if I lived in the DR, I would hire one of these artists to paint some appropriate images on my walls.

In your quest for folk art, make sure you look closely at these little gems outside of stores throughout the country.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Welcome to the board csilver! Check out the little factory south of Santiago (on the left side) where they turn out the beautifully painted "faceless dolls" among a lot of other stuff, much of which is really neat & original. I have been collecting the faces of "monsters" which are all one of a kind... Canadian Bob.

csilver

Nov 9, 2006
Folk art

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look at some of the stores in POP. Maybe I'll find an owner who will sell me his sign. Canadian Bob - can you give me more info on the name & how to get to the store with the dolls?

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Commercial Folk Art

Most of the signs, if not all, are directly on the exterior walls of the store. You may have trouble getting a jackhammer through customs, but if you like what you see I am sure you will figure it out!

My favourite spot to view them was either Gaspar Hernandez or Rio San Juan, I forget which one, but both are towns east of Cabarete with lots of markets on the main street.

You will see them in POP too, for certain.

I lived in Africa years ago and brought back some art, but always regretted not getting some signs--especially the ones outside the barber shops that depicted the various haircut styles. Primitive profiles at their absolute best. Decades later I saw them in New York Magazine as prized collectibles.

Maybe the barber shops have something similar--haven't looked.

lilredrooster

Aug 12, 2006
Art Looker

Sounds kinda like you're an ebay kinda guy looking to make some cash, which is fine, but just remember where the cash, art, comes from and take of the people who supply it to you. they need cash too. I could be off base here, but.....

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look at some of the stores in POP. Maybe I'll find an owner who will sell me his sign. Canadian Bob - can you give me more info on the name & how to get to the store with the dolls?
It is on the LH Side going south from Santiago, You will see lots of pots on the roadside. It is the biggest store, several miles S of Santiago (sorry I can't me more precise, maybe some other board members?) I was interested to see that a number of the girls who do the painting are physically handicapped....
Canadian Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.