What's The Process When Buying Car in DR?

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
always wanted to know this:
when someones buys a car in DR from dealer, what's the process?

1- do you pay sales taxes like in USA?
2- if you're a foreigner, can the car be registered under your name?
3- do you pay anything extra just b/c you're a foreinger? i know they might raise the price of car if they notice you're a foreigner.. but other than that... do they charge you extra b/c you're not a DR resident?
4- the matricula (title) the dealer will hand over to you once you pay car.. but if you finance he will give you title when you finish paying, correct?
5- if you're a foreigner, what do you need to buy/register a car?
6- what insurance company do you guys recommend in Santiago area?
7- what kind of insurance do you guys recommend for a used 4x4? full insurance or just liability? or how does it work in DR?

thnx.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
JDJones

Whenever a vehicle is sold in the Dominican Republic, the following must happen:
The car has to be taken to Plan Piloto for inspection. A copy of the Sales contract, registration, and the cedula of the seller must be taken, and the seller has to buy a Stamp for the service. I believe the stamp is 80 pesos.
Once they inspect it, you are instructed to return in a few days to pick up the certificate.
You take the certificate, the sales contract, the registration, and a copy of your cedula and/or passport to the Tax office, and they issue a new registration in your name.
If you're buying the car from a dealer, they will take care of all of this for you.
Where you're from has nothing to do with it.
And yes, if it's financed, you get the registration in your name, but with a conditional sales notation.
Colonial is a very good insurance company.
As far as coverage is concerned, it depends on the year. Anything 5 years or newer should have full coverage. You should also make sure you have the "casa de conductor" coverage, which is your "get out of jail" card if you have an accident, and only costs around a thousand pesos..

Please explain to me this "casa de conductor" coverage......Thanks, Zak

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
always wanted to know this:
when someones buys a car in DR from dealer, what's the process?

2- if you're a foreigner, can the car be registered under your name?
3- do you pay anything extra just b/c you're a foreinger? i know they might raise the price of car if they notice you're a foreigner.. but other than that... do they charge you extra b/c you're not a DR resident?
4- the matricula (title) the dealer will hand over to you once you pay car.. but if you finance he will give you title when you finish paying, correct?
5- if you're a foreigner, what do you need to buy/register a car?
7- what kind of insurance do you guys recommend for a used 4x4? full insurance or just liability? or how does it work in DR?

thnx.

We bought a ca from a car dealer a few weeks ago, as foreigners. The car is registered in our name. We had to wait about 3 weeks for the matricula. We negotiated about the price, but didn't feel like we had to pay anything extra because of being foreigners. (In many other places they raise the price just because you are white...)

I don't know if we did the right thing or not, but we paid the whole agreed price for the car and got the matricula later. It worked fine with this dealer.

We have also paid for full insurance and are still waiting for the final insurance card. At the moment we only have the Tramite-card. If I have understood things correctly it takes about 1,5 month to get the final insurance card. Somebody ,please, correct me if I'm wrong.

blueigris

Jul 21, 2004
I am in the process of buying a second hand car from a friend of a friend. I want to make sure I do all the transactions correctly. Can I take the car to any 'taller' for inspection? What is Plan Piloto? why there?
thanks
-Blueigris

americanized

Nov 17, 2004
Itbis

Diego, I understand you have to pay ITEBIS (tax) when you purchase a vehicle in the DR. I say "understand" because I have asked dominicans friends down there and they say yes. Maybe some of the car buying experts in this forum can advice and confirm, and clarify if it is only for dealer purchased vehicles. This can be an extra 13% (or whatver % it is).

blueigris

Jul 21, 2004
Plan Piloto

Thank you JD Jones,

Do you or anyone else know how much is it to take the car there? Where in Santiago is it? Is that a must do before purchasing? The seller of the car claims he already did that....I guess I should just verify the paper work?