DR to be site of first Theme Park in the Caribbean....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Select Contracts to develop Dominican Republic theme park

Dubai-based leisure and entertainment turnkey solutions provider, Select Contracts, has successfully delivered the conceptual design and feasibility study for a 700 acre leisure and entertainment development to the Government of the Dominican Republic.

Click on the link for more info:
Dominican Theme Park

-NALs

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006

Dubai-based leisure and entertainment turnkey solutions provider, Select Contracts, has successfully delivered the conceptual design and feasibility study for a 700 acre leisure and entertainment development to the Government of the Dominican Republic.

Dominican Theme Park

-NALs

Look.s intresting where to in the D/R

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

Dominican Theme Park

-NALs

LOL.......I would change the name of your thread real fast NAL's, obviously you have never been to Ocean World. Its ok, most people underestimate what we have built and are amazed once they actually see it.

About that "conceptual plan," they have no site or location, probably no money, and are doing it "for the government." I would say the chance of this actually happening is as good as the Metro project not going over budget. Sounds like some architect is shopping for investors and not much more.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, this worries me. I'm too busy to do a search but from memory ...
Bahamas - Coral World and the Pirates of the Caribbean thing
Jamaica - Aqua Sol and Ananci or something in Negril - also Dolphin Cove
Puerto Rico - There is some kind of family park in San Juan.
DR - Ocean World

Anyway, what conchman said.

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
Conchman,

The best thing they did was hire a firm in New York to do the research. The concept is to sell the baseball players into investing. They have no major investors as of today. If you take out the villas, golf courses and housing you will be in the price range of $250 US per square foot just to build. It will never work in the Capitol. They need tourist dollars not local dollars. Look at Select Contracts website. You see a bunch of 2nd rate concept drawings and not much else. Research their China project that opened for 18 months and went under.

Ocean World has been wrote about in several theme park trade magazines. (HIGHLY) The only thing missing is a flow rider! Which can now be purchased direct. hint

We did the whole investor thing through the State Department. Way to many people wanted money to pass us up the food chain. It is far easier to get funding outside of the DR.

Property hunting starts in 3 days. Oh, vacation starts in 3 days also.

Kevin

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm leery of anything that has Dubai and The DR government associated with it...It seems that every so often you hear about how these "investors" from Dubai who are going to spend a zillion dollars to develop this or that in The DR and it never happens...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What would you call Ocean World? I thought they fit well into the theme park description?
Eh, I guess Ocean World could be considered a "theme park".

To me a theme park includes rides and such, not just live animals people can feed and watch them do tricks and such.

Don't get me wrong, Ocean World is a great place, certainly much better than Manati Park. But, just how I don't think of Columbus Aquapark or FunCity Aguasplash as theme parks, neither do I of Ocean World.

-NALs:)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Look.s intresting where to in the D/R
I don't know, yet.

However, I will speculate that it could perhaps be in Santo Domingo. Earlier this year there was several news articles reporting on a suppose project to redevelop the Estadio Quisqueya area with a sort of theme park including hotels and such.

The theme park being proposed appears very similar to what was reported a while ago and perhaps its the same project, but I am not sure yet.

Also, some of the details of this proposed project (villas, golf course, etc) gives hints that it may be in a rural area or undeveloped lot. Certainly, it won't be anywhere near Estadio Quisqueya, but again, not too sure of where it will be located, if built.

-NALs

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
A Dominican operated rollercoaster? hmmm.

I guess jumping from a bridge to your death is passe' :laugh:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Definitely not the same Quisqueya project.

According to Select Contracts' Sales and Marketing Manager Sanjay Murthy, the new site "will be close to San Pedro" and the client is Eddy Martinez and Franklin Lithgow of CEI-RD, the governmental investment and export office.

The company describes itself as one that has "essentially designed and built entertainment and leisure for 28 years" but they did not comply with my request for names or websites of these projects, and promised it for a future date.

Their description of the project is:
"The landmark project, which is being championed by President Dr. Leonel Fern?ndez and numerous Major League Baseball players, involves a theme park, water park, family entertainment centre, hotels, golf course, villas, baseball stadium and a hall of fame."

rollercoaster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: