New perspective on the DR

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I just returned last night folks, after a little absence, and gotta vent a bit.

If you haven't come into the Santo Domingo AILA airport lately (evidently in the past month) they have really been burning the money there. A whole new immigration hall and baggage claim area, all decked out.

What's wrong with the one that Hipolito's guys built and just opened about 4 short years ago? It was a world-class terminal, and a great improvement over the old rundown sweatbox immigration and exit halls, but it NEVER had more than 2 flights emptying into it at once. And never required more than 2 Customs lanes operating to handle the flow of visitors & returning residents.

Totally new areas, and guess what? It still took them an hour to get the bags through the chute, and out to the waiting passengers. Can't see any baggage carts if they buy more, so why bother?

A shiny new entrance to the same old schitthole Republica. Instead of replicating something that is new, why don't these idiots in Leonel's government just fix the darn electricity problem once and for all, so that everything and everyone else has a chance to succeed? WHY NOT, LEONEL?

Stop talking schitt and just do the right thing. It's the electricity, dummy.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

If you haven't come into the Santo Domingo AILA airport lately (evidently in the past month) they have really been burning the money there. A whole new immigration hall and baggage claim area, all decked out.

What's wrong with the one that Hipolito's guys built and just opened about 4 short years ago? It was a world-class terminal, and a great improvement over the old rundown sweatbox immigration and exit halls, but it NEVER had more than 2 flights emptying into it at once. And never required more than 2 Customs lanes operating to handle the flow of visitors & returning residents.

Totally new areas, and guess what? It still took them an hour to get the bags through the chute, and out to the waiting passengers. Can't see any baggage carts if they buy more, so why bother?

A shiny new entrance to the same old schitthole Republica. Instead of replicating something that is new, why don't these idiots in Leonel's government just fix the darn electricity problem once and for all, so that everything and everyone else has a chance to succeed? WHY NOT, LEONEL?

FYI. The airport is privately run by Aerodom, the Government do not invest or look after it. If it has be re-vamped, it was done by Aerodom.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Robert, the money Aerodom gets come from the government!!! Aerodom is not totally private, they have a part of shares owned by state!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Take your complaints to Grupo Abrisa and the Hazoury family. They are the one's running the show at AILA, POP, and soon at Catey.

-NALS

Tay

DR1 Property Center
Jun 4, 2006
dr1.com
Robert, the money Aerodom gets come from the government!!! Aerodom is not totally private, they have a part of shares owned by state!

They make money from the fees they charge.

I think you will find that the Government does not directly pump money in to Aerodom.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Just Curious

Curious as to why you would return then, to 'the same old schitthole Republica'. But you certainly sound like a real joy to share a cold one with.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Don't worry tflea. The only place I normally associate with gringos is HERE on DR1. Sometimes even this is too darn close. I'm on my way out.

A few points. Sure Robert, Aerodom is a private company that runs the airports. Why don't you consider this? Of all the airports I fly to, why does the Dominican Republic and Aerodom charge the highest taxes/fees to passengers coming here? What do passengers get, other than ripped off?

If Aerodom is raking in so darn much money, then make them invest it into the electric system instead. Kind of like using the tolls charged at the peajes to pay off the foreign debt, instead of fixing the roads with that money. Dominican logic, I guess.

Check out the DR against Heathrow or Gatwick, and tell me if you disagree. I blame the government because they are the ones giving the contracts to Aerodom to have the business to begin with.

If the Dominican government had made the decision to fix the electricity problem, instead of squandering the funds available to them, on things like the Metro and revamping airports that don't need revamping, wouldn't foreign investors instead choose to invest in companies here, rather than in other places where silly little things like electricity actually WORK? Try running a company without electricity, or friggin around with plantas instead of tending to the business.

tflea, enjoy your beer in the company of others who came here to drink or chase whores. Some of us are too busy making a living to worry about drinking beer in the DR. There are other places with cold beer and good company.

Oh, and Sr Moderator, I started this thread in "General" because it was intended to be a thread about the stupid choices of the Dominican government, and NOT about their friggin airports, OK?